1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt signs a 6 year $99 million extension

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by contract, Sep 2, 2014.

1. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I told ya, we shoulda signed Cam Heyward YESTERDAY.

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't see how one has much to do with the other. Heyward would have to have a monster year before he could even point to Watt's contract without the Steelers bursting into hysterical laughter.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Monster contract. $51.876 Mil guaranteed.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Heyward is NOT in JJ's league. We will sign
    him but at a fraction of JJ's contract.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    if cam puts up jj watt numbers, then by all means give him the money......... otherwise there's nothing to get anxious about

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Really? For someone named "contract," this lack of understanding of yours is intentional, no? They play the same position. They don't have to be twinsies for there to be an effect.

Suppose, hypothetically, Cam Heyward admits to being worth exactly half as much as J.J. Watt. If Watt makes $10M/year, Cam will want $5M/year. If Watt makes $20M/year, Cam will want $10M/year.

Heyward isn't Watt, but I do expect him to have a huge breakout year in 2014, and I expect his value to skyrocket. If we'd extended him in the offseason, we wouldn't have to worry about that or another contract like Watt's affecting his demands. The only trade-off is that you are making an assumption that he will be great based on last season alone, as opposed to last season + this season. But that doesn't bother me, because I'm sold on the guy as a player. I'd have rather locked him up for cheap, like we did with Antonio Brown, instead of wait for him to hit it big and then have trouble hanging onto him and lose more money.