1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Claim CB BW Webb Off Waivers, Place Zumwalt On IR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. A corner that couldn't make the cowboys. wtf?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8537/bw-webb

ESPN Dallas has Cowboys second-year CB B.W. Webb on the outside looking in at a 53-man roster spot.
    Webb, the 114th pick in last year's draft, played 185 defensive snaps as a rookie, allowing 11-of-13 passes thrown at him to be completed for 131 yards and three touchdowns and a 148.2 passer rating. He then returned to have an underwhelming spring. Sterling Moore and seventh-round rookie CB Terrance Mitchell are ahead of Webb on the depth chart heading into camp. Webb was initially viewed as the heir apparent to slot corner Orlando Scandrick. Jul 16 - 1:56 PM

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    McCain got hurt last night. Webb plays special teams. Haven't really seen him play, so I can't comment on him, but Terrance Mitchell was a steal.

4. The secondary has grease fire written all over it. Fingers crossed that's not the case.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know he'll feel right at home with the rest of our burnt toast bunch.

6. stock up now

[​IMG]

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We know the Steelers love other teams castoffs at CB ex: Blake, McCain.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I find it funny that many board members want to cut most of our CBs but who do we replace them with. Obviously we can't just grab other teams players, thus you have to search though the cast offs. Anyone available will be someone who did not make it with another team.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Man that's a good post.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  11. Rob, the dungeons and dragons forum is one click over.

[​IMG]

12. no offense T2F :)

[​IMG]

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    When what you're doing doesn't work.....Keep doing it!

14. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I said a claim on CB or OL is likely and this just reiterates the fact we WANT to keep 10 DB's and we don't really have 10 qualified DB's on the 90-man roster Colbert put together.

When you see claims to fill your 53 man roster, it's a bad job by your GM.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree and we need to claim about 10 more IMO.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lost in this is that Zumwalt was placed on IR. Hate that. He looked good the first preseason game and was flying all over the field.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    While I agree that our front office has done a bad job filling certain position groups (including corner), I don't think this statement is always applicable. Even the best teams have roster depth issues at various positions. These issues can occur in the offseason, or due to camp/preseason injuries. Even a bad team can have an excess of depth at a certain position and need to let a solid player go, so there will be non-scrubs on the waiver wire every year. I think it would be stupid of a GM to ignore a situation where he can grab a better player to fill out roster depth.

Obviously that's not the case in this instance, but claims to fill the 53 man roster do not automatically mean it's a "fail" on the part of the GM.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what seems lost in all this is our own draft pick Richardson that will get healthy at some point.

we also already have claimed devin smith back and put him too on IR. he and zumwalt will be here for camp next year. :cool:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Zumwalt wasn't going to play much this season at ILB anyway, he can get healthy be ready to go next season.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    somehow i'm just not all warm and fuzzy over picking up a cb that got cut from the worst defense in the league

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So why was this move made, I know they mentioned one of our CBs got hurt but, I didn't think it was going to be a long recovery? Does this mean they think this guy from Dallas is better then Blake, Mcain, or Green. You wouldn't sign a guy at this point unless you you intend putting him on the 53? Right?

Also, was Zumwalts injury that bad that he needed to be IRd. I would rather just practice squad him, so when he is ready he might get more experience.

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

i'm pretty sure that while on ir, he can't be snatched up by another team as opposed to being on the practice squad

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Right, it's basically stashing him away where he can't be touched.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess that is good for the Steelers, but as a player I think I would not like this one bit. If you have a 2-3 week injury, a team shouldn't be allowed to shut you down for 16 weeks.

25. Terrance Mitchell cut today. Maybe we can sign him too.