1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones- panic button time?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was ecstatic when they drafted him, ( I wanted Ogletree but he wasn't around) I allowed him to have a poor rookie campaign as I/ we just chalked it up to being a rookie. Now, however, I have concerns. I'm definitely not throwing in the towel, but sooner than later this guy has to show something to warrant his selection. He played the other night, and was not much of a factor IMO, and I'm no scout for any team, but he looks the same today as a year ago. The Eagles have one of the best O lines in the NFL and even the best are not getting a sack each game, but to me he was invisible. So, is it me, or is the clock ticking on labeling him a wasted pick? Thought.....

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's his second season so no

3. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Relax people. We play a very basic defense scheme in preseason.

4. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    That same defense made it's way to the regular season last year.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That defense doesn't say get crumpled by the O-lineman blocking you....

6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jones seems like a good young man but I have never understood the pick. Coming out of college his bench reps, 40 times etc. were all sub-par. Coaches can only do so much with that.

7. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, regardless of scheme you see him try desperately to move around T's in this league and his dreadlocks just get swallowed up by bigger dudes

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought he played well in the 1st half..

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I never did like the pick. When I watched his Georgia tape, his highlights was from being either upblocked or against a smaller running back. I rarely seen him beat an offensive lineman.

Everyone is saying, he's in his second year or very vanilla defense was used which is all true. But from where he was drafted and the expectations I think we should se more flashes of him rushing the passer.

When we draft a player in the first round OLB some things he should already have. I know development is needed but strength and a passing rushing moves should be high on the list. That's like drafting a first round quarterback that has accuracy issues or no pocket awareness.

I'm not giving up on him by any means but maybe his future is ILB.

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have some concerns, I expected him to come into this season bigger and stronger he shows up the same as last season but says he has gotten stronger haven't seen it so far. My expectations aren't very high of him I see him getting 5-6 sacks this season.

12. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I'd take that

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bring Harrison back and put Jones on the bench. Or play in in Nickel package as an ILB.

Heyward, McCullers, McCleandon and Worilds as the nickel rushers. or Harrison, Heyward, McCullers and Worilds. Any combination without Jones at OLB.

14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I get we're playing vanilla D in these games. But the OLB position in our defense, you want to see flashes of athleticism/speed/power in any combination. You certainly want to see your splash play guys win 1-1 battles. and if they're at the superstar positions of your D, you want to see them win these battles more often than not. And in JJ's case, he's not showing either a flash, or the ability to consistently show 1-1 wins. If you compare JJ to say, Shazier...you see glimpses in his game that say it'll translate, once his brain is moving as quickly as his body—and he's a rookie.
    I'm certainly not hitting the eject button yet. However, I've located it, and my hand is hovering above. Preseason is a time where supreme athletes should show up, specifically because the other team isn't game planning against your D, and he is non-existant. What makes JJ so frustrating is he plays a critical position in our D. Having average OLB's in a 3-4 defense all but insures an average overall D. Here's to hoping...
    Go Burgh!

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't like the pick when we made it and still don't.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel the same way about everything you mentioned above, but now with the log jam at ILB, and given the fact that pass coverage isn't his strong suit, where does he fit in?

I really feel JJ isn't going to be a major Sack artist here. He seems to be better at batting down balls, causing fumbles or recovering them.

17. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I'm with you, never liked this pick.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have problems and they playoff each other. We are not strong enough up front to hold the LOS and we lack the skills to play tight coverage..

So if we give extra help up front we expose our weakness even more on the back end ..The bottom line is we need Bigger Stronger guys up front and Bigger ,Stronger, and Faster CB'S .

19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Badboy, I felt the same way after Troy's rookie year. I was thinking "holy crap, and we TRADED UP for this guy." Needless to say, I ate crow...

20. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Jones needs to come off of the field in nickel; he is just not physical enough to play 2-4 nickel in the nfl right now. Ziggy Hood 2.0, except at 3-4 olb.

21. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what to think of it. He definitely seems to get pushed around way too easy. I'm not sure if he's strong enough to play the position at this level. But I'm not a scout nor a coach. I'm hoping Joey porter's can really have an impact on this guy. He might be a 1st rd pick, but DL will sit him in favor of someone else who can make plays if he has a sub par start of the season. Moats, so'to, someone who has a nose for the ball.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Are you asking if it's time to call Jarvis Jones a buu...a buuuuu...time to call him a buuuuuu...oh, I can't even bring myself to type it! I think it's premature at this point but with another disappointing season the B word will be flying around like bullets at the shooting range!

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No. JJ did a better then people give him credit for last season, but the glaring 1 sack is all anyone sees. We haven't even reached the second season yet, I'm not panicked.

Lets revisit this at the end of the season.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, I'm sure it will be revisited many times this season, Blast. But I agree, we need to give him a fair shake.

25. The last few drafts have been suspect.