1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why this butt kicking was a good thing.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Aug 22, 2014.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers played terrible in every part of the game, that being most of the starters. You could tell early on this team was unprepared to play and the Eagles were. There is no doubt in that. But, maybe we needed a game like this, to just get embarrassed. Sure it's pre-season, this is dress rehearsal for the regular season. It sucked that our 1st time was so terrible, that 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys, got such little playing time in trying to make the roster. But, just maybe this what the team needed.

Bottom line, The offense didn't complement the defense, and vice versa, and neither did special teams to help out the situation. But, maybe the Steelers realized what the Eagles did, which is to have an Offense that just looks awesome, No-Huddle at it's best, run to pure perfection last night by Chip Kelly and company. I think it was an eye opener for Big Ben and Haley and the gang, to say, "wow that is where we have to get", and we got miles to go. We don't have it made yet just because we looked so good a week ago against the Bills.

For defense, maybe it was time for Troy Polamalu to have a meltdown, to say, I've seen enough of this BS the last two years, it's time to get this defense back to where it belongs, being a feared defense again.

Maybe we needed this distraction of Bell and Blount now, rather than having it happen in the middle of the season, in the middle of a possible playoff hunt. Hopefully, it opens eyes to other players, seeing how bad this distraction caused the entire team to lose focus and play terrible, so bad that the whole team looked like it wanted to get on a plane and go home.

This team has miles to go, but they are far from being as bad as they played last night. I don't blame Tomlin, he did the right thing by playing Bell and Blount, and maybe he wasn't as mad as we think, when his team played so poorly. It was a see boys moment, "this what happens when you make mistakes off the field". I don't blame him for playing the 1st team for almost 3 quarters. It was deserving that they play that, punishment enough, embarrassing enough to have to play that long in a pre-season game.

Maybe just maybe this what we needed, a butt kicking. Sometimes, when your down as team, this is how your leaders emerge, maybe even when it's a player that has played 11 seasons, and always let his play do the talking and always led by his playing example and not his mouth.

Hopefully, this is the start of the turn around for the Steelers, because in the end, they were better than how they played last night.

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe you are right. I am DISGUSTED by what we put on the field last night. I could care less if it's preseason or not. These guys are pros and being paid like pros. My local high school team could have given them a run for their "hard earned" money last night. This unprepared, uninspired play is getting old. Even though we have been mediocre for the past two seasons, they were in most of the games and then blew it. Maybe an ass kicking is what they need to wake up.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm generally optimistic, and I have this same thought every year. After a bad game, I always say to myself that this may have been the embarrassing shot in the arm that the team needs, but after the last couple of years, it's hard for me to keep that optimism up after seeing something like last night.

Having said that, :herewego!:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    My thoughts exactly.

I believe there are some talented players on this team, but more and more I'm having doubts about whether or not the coaching staff, led by Tomlin, can get the most out of them.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Because missing the playoffs 2 years in a row isn't embarrassing enough? Where is the pride?

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Even Noll wouldn't win with the lack of talent on this team.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is it the talent? I can't decide. I just cant help but think that Tomlin has something to do with the lack of passion on this team. It seems to be a recurring thing.

8. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I believe what we wittnessed lastnight stemmed from a traffic stop that occured 1:30pm on Wen. the turbulent news carried to Philly the locker room and unto the field.. presenting mental distraction on the entire team. Hats off to the Eagles they played a superb game. I predict the team is back on track for thursdaynight's game and win with confidence. It was the perfect storm for an azz kicking!

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    None of the starters will play in this last game, maybe 1 series, so the 2s and 3s will go against 2 and 3s, who cares if they win big or not, they wont be on the field opening day, the 1st team you saw suck last night will be playing the browns not the guys who are playing in this last game.....

10. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    The results of last night could change the protocol i wouldn't be so dogmatic!

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

The Panthers 2s and 3s are better than our 1s, after what I saw last night....

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The talent difference between the Eagles roster and the Panthers roster is pretty significant.

13. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Diamond..

Sounds like your having a hangover from lastnight ..tread lightly. The Steelers will be fine! ;)

14. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    What's the point? If we play our starters and they run over the Panthers backups, what does that prove?

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why do you get so angry toward other members?
    Nobody here has any bearing on how the Steelers play. If you're that upset, send a letter to the Rooney's.

16. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Doesn't prove anything. But it may mean our starters needed more work, as you've basically suggested anyhow, and they'd be getting it.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Come on, it was a preseason game. It was pretty obvious that they were intent on getting the ball to Wheaton last night. (At some points Ben forcing it)
    They wouldn't be doing that in a real game. Remember when people were *****ing about Suisham's kicks not making it to the end zone the last couple weeks? Tomlin came out and said he instructed him to kick short.
    Notice last night on the last drive with the 1st team offense that they went to Brown a couple time and opened it up a bit?
    They very well could be working on some stuff that we are not aware of. Maybe Tomlin needs to email us the game plan before each of these games?
    SMH

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's hard to be optimistic after what we just witnessed. You can prepare better and coach better, but you can't mask a lack of talent and lack of athleticism. I am fearful that we simply have too few horses, especially at the critical OLB, nose tackle and CB positions. Our DEs were all awful last night, but I am holding out hope that the talent is there. Shazier is a rookie, and was abused, but I am hopeful that he will be OK soon. Mitchell has been horrid. I want to call his play the "Mitchell 2 step" because he always seems to arrive 2 steps late. The offense has big issues too. At WR, we have AB and then a bunch of question marks. Wheaton may very well not be the answer. Bryant is a LONG way from being a key player (if ever). Our o line is still average at best. I have some optimism, but I'm having trouble seeing a contender. There's potential, but much of it looks like it could be realized too late to make a run in 2014.

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. I would make the starters a little longer than usual but they would probably be going against Carolina's third string.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Embarrassed? You guys care waaaaay more about this then the players do. Yeah, I know, Tomlin has changed his tune and putting an emphasis on wins now but I guarantee you the players don't share that sentiment. They despise preseason and yeah, it showed last night.

You'll all be over this when they beat the clowns. I already am.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we have talent and it starts with our QB. But look at the elite college players we've drafted over the last several years and answer this question; does it really seem like our coaching staff is coaching them up to the next level?

I hesitate to ask this question because I know how some people will react, but what would Bill Belichick do with the talent currently on the Steelers roster? Go 8-8 two seasons running and seem poised to do the same (or worse) this year?

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Win the super bowl twice in the same year. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lolol:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No this teams talent isn't as good as you seem to think it is, name one pro bowler or all pro on defense in his prime. How many Super Bowls has Belichick won in the last 10 years, lost twice to a average Giants team. Belichick benefits from playing in that bad division every year.

24. The browns looked just as bad in their last game and they dont have a quarterback, so hopefully we can win that tallest midget contest in week 1.

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Is it a lack of talent, or is our head coach more of a wordsmith and cheerleader than he is a maestro with the ability to conduct the various instruments in the orchestra (coaching, players, talent evaluators, etc) to create a harmonious symphony?