1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Extend Marcus Gilbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 19, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Good to hear. Now that we have 3/5 of the oline straightened out its time to finish the rest.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No contract numbers yet? Next take care of Cortez Allen.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    6/30

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's the going rate for RT, not that bad of a deal.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Schefter is saying $30 Mil. Initial reports are often misleading, though. We'll have to wait for the guarantees and structure.

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    it's not every day that a player actually plays his way out of my doghouse, but gilbert has started to accomplish just that.... if his improvement continues, then this is an excellent signing

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Good to hear...keep it up Gilbert...earn that money!

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Now it's time for Gilbert to show some consistency in his play.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, most I have been away from the board in one day and 2 good things happened, the Beard is back and this. :applaud:

Our line is almost set. Hopefully Beach can build on last years performance, hope he hasn't topped out already.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Go away tomorrow so we can resign Harrison !

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like both the player and the contract. Works for me.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Aye aye :herewego:

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think that happens after the game on Thursday and Kelly and his fast offense run the second teamers around like mice in a maze.

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    mac won't be happy about this. :cool:

I do believe Gilbert's worth the money if he plays like he's played at his best, and like he's been playing so far this year. I also think that him sliding after getting the money is a legitimate concern. I wouldn't say that about Timmons or Heyward or Pouncey or AB, but it could happen with Marcus. I hope the changes he's made stick.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Munch will shove his boot up his ass, if he tries that.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking, too. Fans can complain all they want that his motivation and skill levels shouldn't HAVE to improve with coaching, but it's still a good thing if it does. Better than the alternative, and better than a guy who teaches and motivates himself but just isn't good enough.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has anyone checked on Mac? :lolol:

Actually, I think he is ok with Gilbert, now if this were Adams, :shots::kapow::noose:

19. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Not so sure I'm a big fan of this signing, just as I wasn't of the Willie Colon contract a long time ago and the fiasco of the Max Stark tags/deals.

I just hate having RT-only players locked into such long term deals. To me, I also like to have some flexibility at RT so if/when I draft a LT prospect, I can ease him into the NFL game at RT first.

Now, Gilbert will likely always be in the way of that plan.

Not sure I consider Gilbert's play at RT anything really "above the line" to justify this type of rigidity or investment at that position. I think there are replacement level players that would only be a step or two behind his performance.

We will see.

The track record of long-term offensive line contracts with this regime is horrific. Not one out of Simmons, Mahan, Colon, Starks or Kemo has made it to their 3rd year of their big 2nd contracts. All have resulted in some pretty gross use of cast/cap funds for limited return.

I hope Gilbert is different, but it's tough for me to overlook that past history.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    All the starters on O-line are now signed through 2015.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Deljcz stole my thunder. However, that's ok with me because now I can just say "I agree" and don't have to type up a long post ;)

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't talking contracts, I was talking ability. Beach has shown promise, hopefully that continues. I feel good about the other positions with Foster being the weakest link but still adequate.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Always great to hear your point Del.I miss you.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am not so sure about any of our lineman.. Adams got pushed around again

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He is playing the best ball of his career right now. He looks fitter than ever, but still has a strong base in pass protection. He pancaked a guy against Philly in a way I've NEVER seen him do before (6:02 in Q1). And perhaps best of all, he is sticking with plays better than he ever has. He's going all the way to the whistle, whereas before he was one of those, "Uh, I'm pretty sure the play is ove-oh **** my guy made the tackle" guys. And I say that while watching the film of the game after he signed the contract.

Plus, I try not to put too much stock into camp reports, but just about every day Steelers Depot says that Gilbert and DeCastro are working in perfect harmony on stunts and blitzes. That's one area they desperately needed help with, and it's an area where coaching is needed. I'm sure they'll still have kinks to work out, but I feel very good about saying the right side of our line will be the best it's been in a long, long time.