1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Landry Jones-discussion thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 17, 2014.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wanted to start this thread to really give us a chance to discuss Jones as a player, it will probably be taken as me defending him but what I am looking for is some honest discussion beyond what most responses will be and that being "He sucks, cut him."

First off let me say I am in no way defending his play last night's game. He looked unprepared and appeared to be way way out of his depth. However lets look at the situation and see if that contributed to his abysmal showing. First off the total and complete lack of a ground game hurt both Jones and Grads. Without a threat of givng up yards on the ground the team was made one-dimensional and the Bills could play the pass and rush the passer almost exclusively. Someone mentioned in another thread that Tomlin wanted to focus on getting the no huddle up and running. That is great for Ben since he is going to be running it and calling plays he likes. In no way can a second year QB with only preseason games make the same calls as Ben does. This offense is now in its third year and Haley is still tweaking it to fit Ben and even the vanilla stuff is geared more to his type of play and not Jones. This was one of the things I didn't like when BA was the OC, things geared too much for Ben that any backup that had to come in looked somewhat out of place.

One of the announcers brought up a good point last night and I think it is relevant and has been mentioned already today. Jones needs to command the respect of his team mates and at this point he doesn't. Regardless of what this says about how his teammates feel about him some of these guy have jobs that are depending on how much they put on tape and if it makes them look like they deserve a shot on the 53. By not getting together with Jones and putting forth their best effort they hurt all their chances.

So what do we have in Jones? He was a highly successful college QB but the history of the NFL is littered with guys who were successful in college and failed miserably in the pro's. Most fans were upset that the Steeler's gave up a draft pick to move up and take him in the fourth and that colors their perspective of him. Obviously the front office saw something in him and that is why they drafted him. He is a 2nd year project who may never be anything in the NFL but for now he has to be given the opportunity and the right tools to succeed. News out of camp says he is slow to make decisions, that showed last night, he must work on that, he can't be afraid of failing or he will fail. Ball security and situational awareness are also big areas to work on but heck Ben has 2SB and he even at times looks questionable in that area. He must gain the confidence of his team mates because their success depends on his success. Game plan for his skill level and establish a ground attack. Nobody is saying this kid is Andrew Luck but he could be a Trent Dilfer type and be a solid DLG QB and if that is what they are looking for in a back-up they should give him time to develop.

One thing for sure at this point is that any belief that he is Ben's eventual successor is out the window.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought that point was very interesting as well. The 2nd string offense lacks a lot of cohesion, and it's visible. I wonder if part of it is a hangover from his "deer in the headlights" first camp, and he's struggled to make that ground back up in terms of respect from team mates.

But what's odd about how he didn't look like a "leader" out there is that he must be doing something in practice to warrant his position...

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Here's my opinion which hasn't changed since I saw him play in college: very effective passer in a clean pocket, but very shaky under any pressure or traffic around his feet.

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    reminds me of Peyton happy feet

going into the 2nd year ,hell it used to be the standard for qb in the nfl giving them a few years to come around

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If that's the case then having zero running game and a questionable Oline in front of him is not a recipe for success. They should be looking at ways to get him a cleaner pocket and take some of the pressure off. Keeping your composure under fire is something that it takes time to develop especially with the speed of the pro game.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, as I was one of the many that said "cut him immediately" I would say he did have the deck stacked against him. No running game and weak olineman blocking for him. But as you have these obstacles in front of you, we do expect for you to be able to complete passes to wide open receivers. And like was mentioned above, take command of the offense. He has worked with this group before last night and showed like it was his first time. Being aware of that internal clock when faced with a rush. He had the first team offensive line in there for a series and did absolutely nothing with them other than throwing a interception into double coverage. Laundry JOnes looked unprepared and uninterested in the task at hand. I'm no football expert by a long shot, but I don't know what the front office seen in him that warranted to move up and get him.
    Now, I know the scouting department are not going to find the next "tom brady" everytime they choose. But this is the second draft pick on this roster that did not warrant the selection. Either by moving up or drafting him in the spot they did. The other is Mike Adams.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I keep holding out hope that he will be able to handle the NFL but the more I watch the less I believe it to be true.

8. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Hell, easy to forget that Bradshaw stunk up the place for his first 3+ years. :facepalm:

scruffy

9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    they traded to get Shamarko. I think Landry Jones should be put on the practice squad. He isn't worth the roster spot at this point

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:They can use a roster spot on a more deserving player.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have always felt like pegging Landry as Ben's successor would make the expectations unreasonable. IMO, he was brought in to be a backup, nothing more....nothing less. Ben will be here another 4-5 years. By that time, Landry's ability to be a starter...his window for that will be closed. At this point I wonder if he can even be the other.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Landry made the team last year, he'll make the 53 roster this year. As bad as he looks, the PS makes him vulnerable. There are many desperate teams, some with QB injuries in the first few weeks of the season will become even more desperate. Since he is our 3rd string QB, I say put him on the 53, but don't give him a hat on gameday unless Ben is playing hurt.

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, It's tough for him out there w/ scrubs around him everywhere. Yes, the cards are stacked against him as they see what if anything he can do in that situation. But, if he hasn't already he's broaching the million dollar mark collecting the checks, so sorry, WELCOME TO THE NFL. He's made a living, hasn't returned any of the checks, time to earn it.

On another note, can you imagine the direct deposits at this level? But I digress, back to Jonesy. Now, here is an example of someone that does indeed have the tools. He has the arm, size, and can move if only he would, but I just want to see a lil more after 2 years vested.

Cut him? H3ll NO, and go with what? (Psss)I do think we'll see the Steelers go for another later round QB this next draft though. They, we, all saw it and the search for Ben's backup will begin anew.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I don't think we will see Ben's successor for a very long time. He's a rare talent that doesn't come around very often and it may be many drafts til the Steelers can replace him with another consistent starter.
    I was hoping Landry could be a fill in at best if or when (God forbid) Ben gets hurt. I was very supportive of Landry having the capability to do that. I don't know much about him but there were many analysts saying it was a solid move for us to move up and get him. I trusted their judgement to a degree but now watching him I don't think he can be a very serviceable back up. Gradkowski looks just as bad lately.

If neither of these guys show much Thursday Night I would have Batch on speed dial right after the game.

15. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't buy Jones as anything more than a PS guy. Last year, today, and tomorrow, the guy was an awful pick. His play is what it is because that is what he is. Drafting him was a horrible pick, and it is one I just can't understand. This year we seem to have had a solid draft, but we passed over several QBs along with several FA QB s that were on the market that could have been an upgrade as a backup QB.

16. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    landry MMMCB jones (makes me miss charlie batch)

HINES

17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First, I truly believe that pick was never supposed to be more than Ben's backup. I have believed that all along. If he looked good enough to be a full time starter, then I would be worried.

Second, I think the FO truly expected him to take a step up this year and it didn't happen. My guess is they are surprised it didn't because mentally he knows the offense, but he is having trouble executing it.

Third, I don't think we took someone else for 3 reasons.

A> We have Gradkowski who they trust.
    B> The draft allowed us to get some guys who fell they may not have picked.
    C> They didn't believe anyone they would have gotten in round 6 would have been better than Jones or Grad.

18. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It's funny, even in 2012, Chuck Batch's 11th year as the backup QB in Pittsburgh, and given his somewhat "fragile" nature, I still felt he could step in on a given week and bring home the W...because that's what he did for this team during his time here. He signed on in 2002 knowing full well his time as a starter in this league was finished and he was relegated to backup duty only...first to Kordell, then to Tommy Gun, then to Ben, and eventually being 3rd fiddle when Lefty came to town (twice). However, as a multi year starter, he had already proven his mettle and had the talent to compete. Kudos to the Steelers for recognizing that back in '02, and locking him in to very cap friendly deals during those successful years. His efforts helped bring 2 more rings to this franchise.
    During this same period, they also drafted 2 QBs...Omar Jacobs and Dennis Dixon. Both successful college QBs that were not touted highly as NFL prospects. Perhaps they were looking for a new, young backup QB to develop, maybe they were looking for a diamond in the rough that they could dangle as trait bait, who knows. Both exited Pittsburgh as disappointments. Unfortunately, I see the Jones pick as more of the same.
    Truth be told, aside from Ben, the Steelers have not drafted an NFL caliber starting QB in the last 15 years. I'm not insinuating that this is easy, and hell...having the conviction to draft Ben in '04 should be applauded...look at how many teams that still haven't landed that franchise guy. However, I can't help but feel that they continue to reach for the elusive young gun...their next Chuck Batch if you will...and keep coming up empty.
    Jones, IMHO, has an average arm, average athleticism, average awareness/instinct, and average leadership/moxy. In the words of Joe Gibbs, he might be "super smart," but that doesn't mean anything if you are lacking in all other areas. All I can tell is that he looks like a deer in headlights in preseason games, typically against guys that will be out of the league come September (yes I also realize that he is playing with guys who will also be out of the league come that time). I don't even see a spark of good things to come. It's true that some QBs are faster to develop than others, but the cupboard just seems bare with this guy. When they pulled him prematurely on Sat night (not confirmed, just a hunch on my part since he didn't even last the full 3rd quarter), the camera found him on the sidelines looking lost and dejected.
    My prediction is that he will be put on the practice squad and that the Steelers will look to bring in a veteran presence as 3rd stringer, which is the right move IMO. I'm not Gradkowski's biggest fan either, but he at least offers the team a fighting chance if Ben goes down 2/3 weeks this season. If Jones is forced into action, it's curtains. Might as well bring back Tee Martin, Brian St. Pierre, Pete Gonzalez, or Jim Miller to take the reigns.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks, Ben's replacement is probably somewhere
    at the high school level possibly his junior year.
    I am some what disappointed in both our
    back up Qb's at this early preseason time.
    You have got to ask yourself, can the Steeler
    organization as a whole improve in player development? They are failing miserably if you ask me. Look at the OL, how about CB's,TE's
    anyone.And as you see right before you your eyes, the QB's.
    Made God help us if #7 gets hurt,waiver wire anyone.

20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wouldnt shut the TV off if Gradkowski had to step in temporarily (very temporarily) however, I have absolutely no faith in Landry Jones at all and never will. I hated the pick then and still hate it.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, that's what concerns me as well. I'm still not going to write him off completely, as I simply haven't seen enough of him. But someone like Dennis Dixon had something going for him in his scrambling ability (which was then never used). I don't see anything like that with Jones yet.

But he must be showing something on the practice field... I don't believe the FO is going to stick an awful player on the field just because they invested a pick in him. As I mentioned in another thread, there are some decent back up QBs still on the market. If it's all about the salary cap, why not just stick Kay out there? So there's obviously something to his game... just waiting to see it. Maybe waiting a long time.

BTW, love to see Omar Jacobs remembered... I used to have a Madden game where I always tried to make him and Charles Davis reach the pro bowl, just for a bit of a challenge.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're not going to know what you have in Jones while he is playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers. Unfortunately, the only way for fans to find out will be if Ben goes down. :fright:

23. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I see a handful of players that I would have liked to see the Steelers get at that position, especially kenny stills :(

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I have 2 things to say about Landry Jones ...

1. P

2. U

25. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I noted in another thread that until Jones learns to improvise around a fallen pocket he will continue to struggle and might add his lack of poise under pressure adds to his deficiencies. As mentioned Jones playing behind 1&2 adds insult to injuries. At this point if a backup is in need they go with Grad is he the answer, not necessarily but he is more collective in the pocket will find running room instead of tossing the ball to his oppenents or lying down on the job.
    IMO Jones has potential, but the lack of work (reps) and working behind a lesser talented line he will remain a question mark.