1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison takes ice challenge to a new level.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by SteelerJJ, Aug 16, 2014.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, they should.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Yeah and let's sign Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hampton too then they could be the over the hill gang.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Nope, not quite.

THIS is how it should be done. Ran the TM in Ohio yesterday and did this. The worst is that they make you go under the board mid way so that there is no way around being submerged.

[video=youtube;Z-HG32z9hz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HG32z9hz4[/video]

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow. Well named. How much did going under the board suck?

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    A lot. Freezing cold. But you warm quickly once you start running again. My strategy was to jump out as far as possible, resurface, then dive and swim as far as possible. It's best not to think and just do it. Used the same strategy with this one as well. If you hesitate and try to navigate carefully, you're screwed.

[video=youtube;zawSX4OmCFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawSX4OmCFs[/video]

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, they should.

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    That`s my boy!!!!
    Rock on, Silverback!:rawk:
    Shame we probably used the last of our "expendable/ luxury" money on Keisel...
    Well, not really, I wanted `em both, but I`m surprised we got either!
    If we pull off getting James back, also, I might have a heart attack!
    I would have nothing left to put on my "Christmas List"...
    Except for the Lombardi, 2015... Which they would both help us get!!!:herewego!:

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know I'm probably gonna sound like a cranky old man but I honestly find this stupid "challenge" incredibly ridiculous and nothing more than another internet fad. I'm all for helping people that have this disease and actually a guy I went to church with for years just died from it about a year ago. It is a horrible disease. I just don't see the point in people doing this. Just give your money to the cause and be quiet. Am I missing something or are the people that show themselves doing this on facebook just actually pouring water on themselves and then NOT giving money to the cause? Or do people pour water and then donate? How did this even get started? I just feel that these fad rising up wind up getting old to people and then the actual cause suffers in the long run.

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Something fun to make people aware and drive donations.

And it's working. Donations are WAY up over last year.

For my money, Patrick Stewart, Charlie Sheen, and Bill Gates had the best take on it. And all gave heartily.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Like anything that has a viral type of popularity, it gets old, but it helps raise money and awareness. They've raised $54 Mil since July 29th compared to $2 Mil last summer. I didn't see Patrick Stewart's. Foo Fighters had a pretty creative one. My grandpa died of ALS when I was was a kid, back when it was still Lou Gehrig's disease. It would be towards the bottom on the list of diseases I'd want to get if I had to choose.

[video=youtube;XLZOjLv0_6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZOjLv0_6k[/video]

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I've asked many people and noone seems to know the answer. What, exactly, is a Foo and why do you need to fight them.

As for the "challenge",I'd like to know how much of that money is actually getting to it's intended target.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought everyone knew what foo was.

As far as the money goes, I would imagine lots of it since the NFL isn't handling the collection.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it is SERIOUSLY horrible. My friend that died from it last year initially just thought he had a sinus infection and was achy and then the next thing you know he is just frail and weak and he was a BIG stout man. He lasted with it maybe 5 or 6 months. This is my question about the challenge. Do the people that do it on fb, I mean just the regular joes, are they doing it just to be seen or are they actually donating money. I read somewhere that most of the people on fb that do it fail to even mention what it is for. I just get uncomfortable with people doing charitable acts and then talking about them. I really don't want to sound cynical but I'm just wired that way.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not exactly sure what a "Foo" is either but I do know that when combined with "Fighter" it just equals a really crappy band. LOL. No offense to any of their fans! I've just personally never liked them.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    After sleeping on it, I think the Foo Fighter's version might now be my favorite. Forget their spin on it which was fun and entertaining. But the constant links reminding people to donate drives it home.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Fun fact. The term "Foo Fighters" comes from WWII. It was the nickname fighter and bomber pilots gave to UFO's they witnessed.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh that's cool! I didn't know that.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope you're right. After getting burned by the Red Cross after 9/11 and finding out that very little of the money donated actually went to victims, I donate my money to all volunteer dog rescues. I understand the need for research to find cures for horrible diseases but, until I see how much the salaries are for the officers of these groups, I'll keep thinking that this challenge is a form of bullying. If you want to/can donate, do it! Stop shaming other people into it. IMHO.

24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I have no idea really. I was just taking a jab at the NFL for how little of their collection money actually goes to charity.

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Unfortunately, it seems like these big charity organizations pay their officers an outrageous amount of money.