1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The most competitive positions to make the Steelers roster

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 31, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think will be at ILB and WR, I don't know if they can keep Vince Williams, Spence, Garvin and Zumwalt likely going to the PS. Guys like Moye and DHB are in a tough spot, they may only keep 5 WRs AB, JB, Wheaton, Moore, Bryant who could end up on the PS if he doesn't develop. And Archer may play some WR so I don't see them keeping 6 WRs, it's going to be fun watching it all play out.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Bryant isn't going to the PS. Some team would pick him up in an instant. My guess right now is that Bryant makes the team, but has to earn getting a helmet. At the moment.....injuries may be the only thing which give him that.

This being said, I think almost every position has some good battles.

QB - None really, but I think Landry is getting some looks with the 2nd team. That has some options about why they are doing that.

RB - Will they keep 4? Who is that guy?

WR - Right now, I think the Browns, Moore, Wheaton and Bryant are on the team. The last position may come down to Olineman, RB or WR and they can only keep 1.

TE - This competition seems really intense. The teams knows what they have in Palmer, not a ton of improvement likely there. Paulson could have improved, but I doubt it. Blanchflower has the door open due to injury and Waters is trying to close it behind him. Do they keep 4? Good here.

Oline - The top 7 are set. Do they keep 8 or 9? Vet or young guy. What is the plan at this position? Personally, I have no idea, but my gut says Whimper makes it and Johnson goes to PS, despite his versatility.

Dline - DE I think is pretty well set. N. Williams isn't going to make it. NT comes down to McCullers continuing to show growth. I expect him to do that, but not get a helmet weekly, unless they want him to try to block a FG.

LB - This competition is going to be intense. Even Carter sounds good in camp. Maybe he turned the corner. I don't know but there are more guys than their are spots.

S - Another position which looks like it could have an impact, but I think it comes from the CB position. A CB could knock a S off the roster and they might only keep 4, but we will see.

CB - I think the top 4 are set, but if they only keep 5....we have a good competition here. This is still the position that has me the MOST concerned during the season. Not depth, as I think we have that. I worry about top end talent. That worries me.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    With Haley talking up how deep the receiving corps is, I think we'll see a turnaround from the season where we kept 4 receivers. I'm also thinking of when Tomlin drafted Mendenhall and Sweed (rather than o-line), and his justification was that increasing your weapons was one way of protecting the QB (or words to that effect). If Tomlin and Haley are on the same page, I could well see us keeping less TEs (certainly less than last season's 16) and more receivers.

The interesting question over numbers for me comes between LB and secondary. If their answer to the lack of good corners is to draft LBers, does this mean we keep more LBers at the expense of CBs?

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Dead right, Tarheel, dead right.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't imagine Bryant going to the PS, has way to much potential to risk losing him and don't see anyway that Vince doesn't make the team, apparently he is having a very good camp, + he has a years experience in the system.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was thinking if Bryant is too raw to be on the 53 man roster, but some other team would take him if he was on the PS so he should make it.