1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

a little worried about Mike Adams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jul 29, 2014.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    No way should someone adams' size get trucked by shamarko thomas, but that's exactly what happened..... Not only does Adams have to work on his hand placement, it looks like his knee bend is lacking as well

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it all depends on the situation. Even guys that are 300+ pounds can get caught off guard and off balance. If he was looking right and Shark came in from the left you could put him on his backside before he has a chance to plant his feet and absorb the hit. Not sure since I didn't see the play but I can see smaller guys doing it to the bigger ones.

3. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We already knew that Adams was terrible, so this does not surprise me.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    From what I've heard not sure I'd say Adam's was trucked. Shark came with a safety blitz and was able to push Adams back. If he was moving fast and low and caught Adams offguard or between steps I can see him moving Adams back, speed and low man usually wins you know.

I've also heard Adams is having a good camp so far.

Cajun-

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This is why I wish we could see more tape. This guy said Adams is struggling and that Shark put adams on the ground. Wexell said Shark bull rushed adams back into the pocket and the story I read said it's being overblown, Shark came around the edge with a head of steam and was able to get low and push adams back some....

One thing is for sure, shark should be getting some sacks this year on safety blitzes.

Cajun-

7. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm looking forward to seeing some of that this season. :)

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm, every account I've seen pretty much describes it as a trucking. It's not really important, though. Everyone gets their clock cleaned once in a while.
    [tweet]493939479007092737[/tweet]

"S Shamarko Thomas pancaked RT Mike Adams on a bull rush. Thomas is 5-9, 217. Adams goes 6-7, 323."
    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/s...cle_aba1679e-1e30-5cf5-ac50-edb61ba2d7f5.html

[tweet]493857974591705090[/tweet]

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's if LeBeau turn these guys loose and let them get after the QB.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, that dumb old coot needs to start remembering how to coach defense. ;-)

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    At this point, any conquest over Adams is not much of a conquest at all. Sure I like that it's putting Shark in a good light, but it's not really a knee jerk reaction or unbelievable to hear. Mike has all of the tools, but it's either his head or his heart that keeps them tools in the shed. I'm rooting for the big guy and hope he proves me wrong. Honestly everybody knows that everybody has a bad day or can be beat especially by a guy clipping them unawares. Mikes story mikes story is one of getting beat consistently either way you dice it up. Hope Munch can cure him but sometimes things just don't work out in this sport regardless of the upside or measurements.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's pretty hard to keep making excuses for him. maybe they are just afraid if the door hits him on the way out it might knock him down and there would be this whole injury settlement thing. munch may not be reaching for his johnson yet, but he may be going for an adjustment soon.:facepalm::cool:

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I stand corrected...Shark trucked Adams pancaking him. Let's move him to OLB. With that skillset who needs JH returning.

Cajun-

14. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Coaches know what they have here, like a wild horse Adams must run free and find his own path.. somewhere outside Pittsburgh.

15. jwest21

jwest21 Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    The optimist in me says maybe this lights a fire under Adams and he improves. The realist in me says that he just isn't very good.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :hmmm::)

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    adams is a joke. today just was a little piece of a stack of evidence. if he played anywhere other than ohio st, he would be in the cfl

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd caution against overreacting to what happened yesterday. I'd be a little surprised if Adams didn't have a "good" camp overall.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A voice of reason :applaud:

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: He's a work in progress. If we gave up for every little thing like that, no one would be on the team.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but there is more to look at then just yesterday. can he run block? yes. that is not the problem. we throw more and more, that is the problem.

is a good camp good enough if he has to play LT? he's got a lot wrong with his pass blocking. he needs to show some improvement before this camp is over. we just can't go into the season with him one play away from protecting bens blind side. right now that scares me. we can't waste munch having to put all his time in trying to fix mike adams. I think it will take away from making the rest the best they can be.

Johnson has been playing LT.LG and some C, I don't think they will carry on with mike unless some major upgrades are made in his game. he's the only guy that can do it. can he? I hope. will he? we shall soon see. he has to start to improve in a big way. this is year 3. :cool:

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your quitting on your buckeye this soon?LOL

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's been playing fine before yesterdays misstep. After his benching last season, he's continued to make strides, Beachum isn't the only hard worker, he worked his way back into the lineup and has done well with the opportunities he's been given, even at LT when he filled in for Beachum against Miami.

With Gilberts contract up in the air, I doubt Adams will be let go.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no he probably won't be let go and that's disturbing. I also don't know if I would call what he did strides.

he's a 2nd rounder that was ranked by many as a late 1st rounder. I just don't see that talent in him when he is still has the same flaws as before. they put his big butt at TE. they said you follow gilbert and block whomever you see gilbert doesn't. that's not his problem area. he can push a guy over a pile. heck a lot of guys can.

there is also two very different work ethics between he and beachum and it's shown. for the size adams and gilbert are, it's a damn shame they aren't knocking people 5 rows deep into the stands.

DD has made strides and he was a mid-late first rounder and adams is a late-first to mid 2nd rounder and the strides they have made are not even close, while their draft status is. adams should be looking closer to that but just hasn't. oh there's still time, but he should have been far beyond this.

wardis, I've not given up on my buckeye yet, but I never thought he was a good fit for LT anyway, but neither was gilbert in my mind. both come from a running qb offense. the pass blocking lack of technique shows. they rarely had to block and make a pocket for their qb's. more of colberts ineptness at picking linemen for us. not all, but many. this is just one spot he doesn't seem to have a grasp on very well except for the top dogs obviously. maybe munch can help that.

I just hate wasting bens years, when fixing that problem has gone on way too long. what this offense could be with a good line is scary. I miss the days of the steelers great lines. it's been a long time since we could say that.

munch has his work cut out for him. as I said, I don't want him to have to spend too much time on adams and have to neglect the others. time will tell.:cool:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not disturbing to me, he played a good RT the year before last, I don't recall Ben spending a lot of time on his back because of it. According to Munch, NFL lineman don't really get it until there 4-5 year, Adams is in year 3 and last year was hindered by a stab wound, sorry, that carries a lot of weight with me, its not the movies, takes a while to heal from something like that. And when I say he made strides, I meant in the sense that after they put his big butt at TE, he took it like a pro, bared down, worked harder and got himself back into the line up. Players have always been progressing at different rates, I don't care what round they are taken in, everyone is different.

I don't get the impression they are too high on Gilbert and will probably want more money then they are willing to pay, Adams is probably our future RT if Munch can't do anything else with him.