1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1st practice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some good stuff in there, JB continues to impress, not a word about Moye, was he practicing?

I like that they are using Archer as a RB, I have a feeling about this guy, he's explosive.

I'm daring to dream but could we actually have a DROY in Shazier? Sure hope he can learn DL's defense quicker then most. He could be so disruptive with that speed.

So glad things have gotten underway finally :herewego:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He was there.

[tweet]493123525901705216[/tweet]

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    to be honest DL may be looking to change some things he does in his defense to play to shazier. they have to keep him clean and able to operate.

moye is there, but the thing I got was that DHB was running with the last group. like I was talking about in the o-line thread about keeping a younger guy over whimper, I sure wouldn't mind them keeping these young guys around and together for the future and if DHB is going to be used little, then I'd rather see moye make it over him. or at least the PS, but I don't know if he would last there.

that's a shame about snow. geez, one day in and we have 3 down.

looks like a close eye is on Paulson too. it would be ideal if he has increased strength and gets the blocking down but as he gets better so may palmer. will j with the TE's though makes me think he's the 3rd and someone on the PS. it's early and no banging yet. Monday should start off some good stuff. hehehe. :cool:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    good stuff TTF. I hope you don't mind that I put up the thread from the depot. I looked on the front page earlier and hadn't seen anything up about day one so I put it out there to see. I know you are always on it big guy. don't want to overstep my bounds though. yours is much more enjoyable anyway.:cool:

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    we all know

it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission mac daddyo :smiley1:

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow, that video is telling of Munchak and the O-line. Granted I only went one day last year, but I didn't see any video nor did I see for myself, the line coach working with those guys like that talking technique and position during the drills! I love the constant helps!

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, TTF :thumbs_up:

If Moye is doing well, then certainly but they may want another vet presence in case of injuries. This group is pretty raw after AB and Lance.

Munchak is going to make a big difference, IMO. I've heard people say don't expect miracles but we dont need him to work miracles, all our lineman have had varying amounts of success, yes, even Adams, just not at LT. And the biggest thing lacking with these guys is technique, which is Munchaks strength. Baring any injuries, I expect a much improved line.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Don't be ridiculous, Mac. Thanks for the compliment, but please post whatever you want from wherever you want. :)

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Hard not to be ecstatic about what he brings. I can't remember the last time so many people were so excited about the line.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The other part I like is the quotes that came out about him pulling the other position coaches together and focusing the plans for assignments across the board.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Another thing about Munchak that I've been seeing is how he's making things easier for the linemen mentally.

DeCastro recently:

"He's very, very, very good. Finishing (the technique), and also all the calls and making everything simple. I think he'll simplify things for guys and make sure we're not messing up. Someone's going to get beat one-on-one. That's technique. That's OK. But you can't let the mental stuff beat you, if that makes sense. If you have four guys (rushing), those guys are getting blocked. That's the stuff that's been really good. The technique's obviously great, too."

I can't find it at the moment, but Foster said something similar a few months ago. Basically how much simpler things are because Munchak is simplifying the calls and terminology for them.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe we will really see munch getting involved when the hitting starts and live fire starts to happen. right now it seems like dance steps they are learning and when defenses start going in different directions is where the real teaching will start. switch offs, football on the move, stunts, blitzes, etc. then put that together with TE's and RB's blocking too. he's really going to help this whole offense see a difference.

can foster and the others mesh together? the footwork will get more important against live fire. we have some quick guys and some not so quick guys, so this will be munch's biggest obstacle. can he get the mack truck and the corvette to be in sync? :cool:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's some more:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...viewsteelers+(Steelers+Stories)#axzz38gt5nInl

Archer is going to be a good weapon, figure him being involved quite a bit, he wasn't drafted in the 3rd just to play ST.

Loving that they are getting Will J involved, inserting him at TE speaks volumes about where the other guys are at after Heath and Spaeth.

JB, keep it up! He's securing himself a roster spot.

Good to read Bey made a couple nice grabs.

16. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Any word on how Jarvis Jones looks? I was not on board with the pick but we really need him to step up this year.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    We're not the only ones to see it. Mark Kaboly had a tweet out about the night and day O-line approach.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Good question. None of the reports I have read mention him.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Its hard to talk about LBers without pads on

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe some Oklahoma drills Monday?Can't wait! LOL Lets buckle it up.
    Now we will see some inklings. Its a shame the CBA
    has ruined football, the way it is suppose to be played. Do you think the Emperor would have had pads on? LOL And you wonder why there are so many injuries?

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the players can opt to wear pads, it just can't be the coaches that dictate it. Antonio Brown had pads on in OTA's.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm sure we'll hear about him today as they'll be running backs on backers.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I cant wait I wish there was a live feed to training camp

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That may be but there is no hitting, which is what people are referring to. Today is the first day there will be hitting as per the CBA.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ahh, got it, didn't know that was what they were using to denote "hitting". My bad.