1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you are excited / nervous to watch in 2014

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For me, I can't wait to see this years offense. From the line to the TE this could be the most complete we have been in many years. If Wheaton stays healthy this offense could put up some serious points. Ben running that no huddle could be a thing of beauty, and don't sleep on Lance Moore....surprise offensive player of the year. My concern lies with the front 7. If they don't create more pressure this will be a repeat or worse from the past two years......definitely my biggest concern........

2. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Excited about being 'younger' - Shazier, Shamarko, et al

Nervous about O-line play and Ben's health. This always gives me gray hairs. I hope Munchak helps these boys gel and they beast. If we establish a typical Steeler running attack that DEF must respect, I predict a redonkulous season for Antonio Brown, as he will kill it if not always double teamed.

Nervous us about special teams...why are we always below mediocre in this facet? Maybe Dri Archer can do something electric in the return game (I.E. Josh Cribbs or Devin Hester).

Nervous about our CB's...but who isn't and why?

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am excited to see if the coaching changes add fire to both sides of the ball. I know they were chippy in camp but we have seen that before and it fizzled once the season started. I'm nervous about the youth movement vs the learning curve. I hope they keep it simple and turn them loose.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm excited about the speed and what ben can do with a small target and a big target on offense. (archer and Bryant of course).

nervous about it all coming together this year. that's a tall order. lot's of new parts.:cool:

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    excited and nervous at the same time about the o-line

6. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    T be honest im excited about all facets of this team. Potential explosive offense and, hopefully getting back to that quick nasty defense we use to have! Like most everyone else im nervous about the O-Line. Barring any major injuries i see alot of potential on this team!

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm excited that we have a chance to win another Superbowl and I'm nervous that we wont!

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

to be honest I'm worried the most about cam Thomas starting and we find out ziggy was better. can tuitt do it early on and make Thomas the backup? with Thomas we went the other way with speed on defense.:cool:

9. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Excited to see the speed upgrade on defense and what impact, if any it has the defenses overall play as well as what Munchak's coaching will bring to the o-line and the running game. Nervous about the needs we did not address in the draft and free agencies: Munch may be a great coach but do we have the talent on the line for that unit to be dominant?; Drafted Jones last year in the first instead of Eifert, Jones has not lived up to expectations and we still don't have a quality back-up to Heath, we also did not address the CB position and we still don't have a quality "big bodied" receiver ( I don't expect much from Bryant). If we, as fans, misintrepreted some of the deficiencies on this team over the last couple of years and the fixes can be found in these areas then I will happily admit that I was wrong and I will be living and dying with my team from week to week but in the back of my mind I still do not believe we have addressed the most pressing needs.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Excited about:

1. Our entire LB corps - Worilds is officially a beast, Jones will be better (even if it's just a little), Timmons is a leader, and Shazier is on the team. And Spence!
    2. Our TE corps - Heath should be back to being a dominant blocker, Spaeth is healthy and helps the running game, I like Blanchflower a lot and Palmer's good competition.
    3. Mike Munchak and the OL - Every year our OL holds so much promise, and every year they disappoint me. The way they finished the season, combined with Munchak's presence, makes me think this might finally be the year they don't disappoint.
    4. Our new backfield - Bell will make a name for himself this year, Blount is the best backup we've had in awhile, and I'm especially excited about Archer. I'm honestly not expecting much from him, but it's still exciting to have him!

Nervous about:

1. The OL - I see potential for them to be our best OL in almost a decade, but I also see potential for us to slide back into sub-mediocrity. The interior is solid, but I see question marks at both tackle spots, and that's a big deal. I'm particularly skeptical about the improvement in run blocking I read so much about. We always say, "As long as we stay healthy..." but we never stay healthy. Luck or conditioning or whatever, we never stay healthy, and if that trend continues it could be a long season.
    2. CBs - Cortez could step it up this year and be the new Ike Taylor, or he could prove to be an average cornerback. We really don't know yet. Ike is headed downhill fast. Gay is what he is. Blake
    3. Health - It's going to happen. It's unavoidable. We just have to hope it happens to replaceable players, and the numbers are small.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. I think it's fair to say I'm both excited and nervous about the same thing, and it's this.

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Excited about all the rooks and 2nd-3rd year players. Oh yeah, another season of Steeler football too!!

Nervous about the team staying healthy. It's been a while..

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Most Excited: Competition....I think we have added competition at every position. This makes everyone better.

Most Nervous: Cornerbacks.....We basically didn't address it at all in the draft, at least not till late, and that makes me nervous.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Most Excited: I'm excited on a lot of fronts, but I think the offense in general has me the most excited.

Most Nervous: Defensive line. I fear the unknown I guess. I have a lot of optimism, but I'm nervous. I guess lack of quality depth at certain defensive positions comes in at a close second.

15. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    we think alike! IF the offense stays healthy they could really put up some points each week.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I honestly believe more than any time in the last twenty years the pressure will be on the offense to make every drive count and eat up time on the clock limiting the exposure that a very young and inexperienced defense gets. The team has leaned on the defense for so many years and this year I think that there will be a big question mark.

It is my hope this year that Tomlin finally puts a stamp on a team and makes it "his" I didn't really mind his "let the team reveal it's identity through it's play and the course of a season" philosophy but it is time for him to set it aside and form a frame work for how he wants his team to be and let them reveal themselves in the context of that overarching plan

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Excited Hoping to see open competition in
    many areas.

Nervous About CB,safety situation.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's like Christmas morning and you have to wait until grandma and grandpa get here to open presents.:facepalm::cool:

19. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I'm optimistic across the board having good vibs going into the season. Let's get it on!!

:herewego!:

20. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am excited to see the speed movement on defense. I want to see the nasty Joey Porter type of player emerge at LB again. I want to see us flying around the field taking no prisoners. I want to see Blitzburgh back and running at full throttle! The hope is LeBeau can put all his new toys to work in new and different ways.

I am nervous about both lines of scrimmage. Games are won and lost up front. If we do better than average on both sides of the ball I think we will be in for a great season and a long run in the playoffs. Too many weapons on both sides of the ball in the skill positions in my opinion if the lines do their jobs adequately.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a while yet before Week 1, but I do feel a buzz about the team this year. The transition is nearly over - only a handful of the old guard remain, and there are so many positions up for grabs to bring out the best.

Please, please, please no injuries in training camp.

22. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

The amount of investment which was put into the team not talking dollars but rather talent from on the sidelines to the grass. I have high expectations and
    yes we basically have a new regime which makes for new interest and hope!

:herewego!:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Excited about the offense, looking forward to seeing more of the no huddle and a top running game (I hope). On the defensive side, I'm excited about what DL will be able to do with his new speedy toys.

Nervous about Ben making it through another season healthy, will he make it 2 in a row?