1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Chargers release OLB Larry English

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 22, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Would you take a look at him? He's a first round bust with 11 career sacks, but could probably be had for cheap.

2. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Na! I'd rather have an undrafted, proven Harrison for less

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    11 sacks in 5 seasons, no thanks, I'll take old and slow.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that is better than carter and moats, but when worilds and JJ go down we would be left with an old English moat as our new motto. all the fans would dress in armor, it would be a whole thing so, no.:cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

He's been hurt alot too, so, still no.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think he is the kind of guy that the FO must do 2 things. First, they must go back and look at their notes about him. This may allow them to determine WHY he isn't succeeding. Second, I think if you reach the conclusion that the faults making him fail are something you THINK you might be able to fix, you must work him out privately prior to even mentioning him to the team.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: That's the main reason they have been 8-8 the last 2 seasons, the defense getting burnt.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You dont care if someone is good or not, as long as they are young, PUT THEM ON THE TEAM! :facepalm:

For your information, the main reason they went 8-8 two years ago is because Ben got hurt and last season because of an 0-4 start thanks mostly to no running attack, no Heath and terrible line play for the first 4 games.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The defense has to take their share of the blame. Ryan Clark was slow, late and a liability to this defense. Vince Williams was a liability. So was Troy, yes, Trou was too but here's why. In the sub packages he's out of his natural position and that handcuffs his dynamic play plus he was replaced by Will Allen who can't match Troy's skill set at safety. JJ also hurt our defense.

All that being said Shazier upgrades Vince which in turn puts Troy back where he belongs upgrading Allen and Mike Williams upgrades Clark. JJ should be improved and if JH returns he'll be a solid rotation guy cause he is slow, and still strong as a bull and in shape.

i fully expect no less than 11 wins this year!!!!

Cajun

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Without question, the defense shares blame last season but I think the reasons I stated were bigger contributing factors.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Old and slow defense also contributed last season 0-4 start, missed tackles and guys getting burnt often giving up big plays. Remember the Bears and Vikings games.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I also remember some key players getting injured early. I mean come on we had a rookie safety playing in the nickel because we had nobody else. Then there was the Foote injury and the Kion Wilson experiment.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What I remember most about the Vikings game was Allen having a free pass at Ben all game and no protection the first 4 games in general. And the Bears game I remember 4 or 5 turnovers that led to a ton of points. As I said to another poster, the defense certainly deserves blame but not the sole reason or even the major reason.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What about an old and slow Offense? Ben has never won the forty yard dash and while deceptively quick he isn't getting any younger, Miller and Spaeth aren't exactly track stars nor was Cotchery but I didn't see you leading the pitch fork mob to get them replaced with younger faster guys. Lets face it your theory of younger and faster being better has more holes than a Pennsylvania road. THey had younger and faster players across the entire defense and they team still went 8-8 and had low numbers in most defensive categories.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not going to argue that point, we were an 8-8 team for many reasons and at the end of the day we were an 8-8 team.

James Harrison is still strong and fast enough to play 3-4 OLB and a much better choice to bring in than English and here I think we may be in total agreement.

Cajun-