1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Arthur Moats waiting in the wings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 21, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I expect very little from Moats. Of all the FA signings, this one moved me the least.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I could see him as the #3 OLB. For that reason, I like the signing. It means we're not relying on Carter to step it up in year 4.

If Moats is the #3 ILB, I'll be very disappointed in some other guys.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

That definitely better not be the case. :no:

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think moats will be fine as the 3rd OLB. ILB could be a different story.:cool:

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First of all that is article is fluff and while I don't read a lot of what gets put on Steelersdepot that article did nothing but report two already known facts, that Moats ran with the first team defense with Worilds hurt and that he more than likely will play OLB since there is a log jam at ILB. Other than that I see nothing in this article other than the writers opinion and stuff we knew already.

What surprises me or maybe it shouldn't is that you, Steelersrule6, want Moats as the backup up OLB. So let me get this straight you want the guy that has 5 career sacks in four years to be the fall back if Worilds or Jones are injuried. The guy who played out of position because they switched him from a college football DE to and ILB and when that wasn't providing enough of a pass rush they moved him to OLB and he still couldn't light it up playing with Mario Williams who undoubtedly was drawing double coverage. This is the guy you want as back up and playing when they lose an OLB to injury which has happened how many years in a row? This guy? umm why? oh wait that is right he is 26 he has four years till he is washed up and done probably with like 7 career sacks at that point.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There's nobody coming off the bench thats better then JH. Good point about Mario, I'm even less enthused now. Thanks.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take my chances with a 26 yr old over a 36 yr old anyday. Moats offers more versatility he can play ILB or OLB also special teams. You guys get caught up in all that sentimental crap.

9. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think it is sentimental crap. Who would put your money on to get a sack from the OLB position - JH or Moats. I would bet on JH, even at his age. He could still wreck havoc - he was always about brute power not speed, and he still has that.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has nothing to do with sentimental crap and everything to do with better talent. I'm going to choose a 26 year old over a 36 year old who isnt as good just because he is young? Makes zero sense. You keep acting like we are talking about JH starting, we're talking about him coming off the bench.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What about all those legitimate, field-based reasons we've laid out for you over and over? Oh, you're going to completely ignore them and call us sentimental.

Yeah, I always get sentimental when I think about that girlfriend slapper. :thumbs_up: He's such a charmer! I admit, he'd make our team worse at football, but I just want to hug him and never let go!!

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Whenever you post all I read is blah blah nonsense get a clue.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How do you know Harrison can still play, he wasn't good with the Steelers in 2012 now at age 36 he supposed to still be able to play at the NFL level. I know it would be a backup role, I just don't see the upside to it.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    How do you know Moats can play? He never did anything in four years in this league but yet he is the guy you want backing up Jones and Worilds?

Edit: He did play two different positions with 3 different Coordinators so you'd think he would have more to show for his body of work.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sometimes a change of scenery benefits a player Ryan Clark became a better player with the Steelers, so did James Farrior. I'm not saying Moats will be as good as them but you never know.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Quit being sentimental we aren't talking about Clark and Farrior we are talking about Moats who has done bubkis in four years in the NFL so convince me how he is worth even getting a helmet on this team.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He had 2 sacks, an Int and a fumble recovery last year, Moats had none of those. And his last season here, he had a bad back, that will slow anyone down.

I see him as a 1 year stop gap and don't see him bumping anyone of worth from the team. I don't see Moats not making it but Carter could be let go very easily. I don't see the harm in trying.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'll take my chances with whoever the better player is.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think moats can get better here than in beefalo. maybe carter breaks out with JP helping.

I still see moats and so'oto as left side OLB'ers. I think that's their best fit. the right side is where we are young. JJ, carter, garvin, zumwalt.

jones, I'm not sure.:cool:

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I know. That's kind of the problem. :facepalm:

If you paid attention, you might learn something.

It's well-documented that he was all kinds of banged up that year. He had major back problems and couldn't properly use his strength. He still racked up 6 sacks in 13 games (5 of which came in the 2nd half of the year, as he got his strength back), and, of course, played great against the run and in coverage. That's not fantastic, but it's better than some PS guys and bubble players that might never make the league, and it's better than a guy like Chris Carter.

Yes, Harrison's two years older now, but to contrast that, he's also healthier and at full strength, and wouldn't have to play as much so there'd be less risk of him wearing down, which is one of the major concerns with old guys.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I won't learn anything reading your gibberish that's for sure, are you Harrison's doctor now to know how how healthy he is. I have forgotten more football than you will ever know.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't being sentimental I was giving 2 examples of players who changed teams and got better. It doesn't matter what we think of Moats, the Steelers saw something in him and he will be the top backup OLB.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Farrior and Clark were better to begin with than Moats. Moats has demonstrated that he has speed, agility, and a head for the game however that hasn't translated to the field. He played in a 3-4 in Buffalo for four years at two different positions ILB and OLB. In both instances regardless of who his DC was the main focus of the 3-4 is to allow the linebackers to make plays. His numbers in that regard do not show that he excelled at doing that. He has not showed that he can be a pass rushing threat nor that he has a nose for the ball in stuffing the run. Last season he played with an bonafide pass rushing threat in Mario Williams who would undoubtedly draw double teams if not forcing opposing offenses to account for him meaning Moats would have had favorable matchups and an opportunity to showcase his skills gong into a contract year. He showed that in 16 games he could have 30 solo tackles and zero sacks. So he wasn't stuffing the run or getting to the QB. Since he had zero passes defended it doesn't seem like he has skills to cover receiving threats either.

That being said he could benefit from working with Porter and Butler but even then the likelihood that he becomes a legitimate threat at the position is small. IT is an uphill fight and given the sense of urgency surrounding Ben there really isn't three to fours years for Moats to rise to the level needed in an OLB on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    It sure sounds like it! Seriously, that explains so much. Maybe 20 years ago you could have held your own in a conversation.

Hmm, well his back troubles in 2012 are common knowledge. He didn't have any issues with it last year, as far as I know, although he did miss time due to a concussion. I believe it's healthy because I think it's been like a year and a half since he had problems with it. Also, this video:

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge...pick-six/cf6cb90a-ea6e-4d48-b5a0-e9259e480034 (that was a decent play, but I'm pretty sure Moats or Carter would have scored sooner, before the penalty could even take place!)

However, you're right. I can't prove for sure his back is healthy, just like I can't prove global warming isn't the result of underground pixies hypnotizing our scientists with subliminal messages slipped into Cheers reruns. Of course he could re-injure it, or injure any other part of his body (and so could Jason Worilds). But it's healthy now, and he can use his strength now, which is more than you could say about him this time 2 years ago. Still, I shouldn't make assumptions about things I don't know. You never do that, do you?

Oh yeah...