1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Had A Bad Reaction To A Booster Shot Yesterday

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jul 17, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I was at the Dr. yesterday for an annual(ish) wellness check. Fit as a fiddle. Anyway, she said I was overdue for a tDap booster (tetanus, dyphtheria, pertussis). It was optional of course, but I figured I might as well get it. Things were fine for a few hours, but I started feeling really tired and my neck started getting really stiff/sore.

An hour after those symptoms hit, I was shivering uncontrollably and had a fever of 103. It pretty much lasted all night, except for a couple stretches where the fever would dip and I would be hot and sweaty. Aside from a slamming headache and a mild fever this morning, I'm pretty much better now.

Has anyone else ever had a bad reaction to an immunization before?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Nothing that severe.

Typhoid shots always made my arm hurt like hell for a few days though.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, thats scary, glad you're ok :thumbs_up:

I haven't been to the doctors in over 10 years but even when I was going, I dont ever recall getting booster shots. The last Tetanus I got was over 20 years when I stepped on a rusty nail.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about booster shots but my company does the flu shot every year and about 15-20 ppl out of the roughly 2400 that get the shot have reactions similar to what you are describing. Always makes me rethink getting the shot.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've had minor soreness and stiffness, but nothing as bad as what you described. Doesn't sound too pleasant, but glad you're doing better.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. I'm probably going to have to go back to the Dr. It was better yesterday, but overnight it got worse. Woke up with a 104 fever, the shakes, and a migraine. I've got some other weird symptoms too like swollen lymph nodes and yellow vision.

I almost never get sick, so to be laid flat out from a frickin' booster shot is a little hard to accept. :x :facepalm:

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought it was a one night thing and went away. Yes. Do see the doctor.

Could just be a coincidence and you caught a bug. But better safe than sorry.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    My wife spoke with the Dr. and she said the reaction was "normal". Apparently 1 out of 250 adults get those types of symptoms from it. She said basically to just keep doing what I was already doing, and to come see her Monday if things didn't get better.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Glad to hear things are ok TTF....Dont do anything I wouldnt do!!!!;)

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Huh, thats how I feel after a Steelers loss :hmmm:

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Glad to hear it was something more or less "normal."

Hope the bouts of fever are done.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't realize they gave that combined shot to adults. Ive always gotten my tetanus separate.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. I think I'm finally starting to get over this thing.
    Yeah, I think most places will give the triple combo booster now if you're not up to date on them all.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Just to update this, I still haven't gotten over this thing yet. Fevers and migraines everyday since the shot. Granted, the fevers aren't higher than 101 when they're high, but they still do their thing.

I could have seen the Dr. the other day, but the nurse who I called said that it was probably just a coincidence, and that I was already getting sick before I had the shot. After she said that I couldn't take her seriously. :lolol: I ended up telling her I'd just keep an eye on it for a couple days.

Since I still have symptoms and that big hot red spot is still on my leg, I called and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yikes! A full week. That can't be normal.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Big Red Hot spot? ??

That's new info. Is this new since the last time you saw the doctor?

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ahh, I thought I had mentioned that. Sorry. This red circle appeared on my thigh on Saturday. It's the same leg that had the slightly swollen/tender lymph node. That went away, and a day later, this appeared about 8" lower. It's red, hot, slightly raised, and about the size of a folded dollar bill. It hasn't bothered me at all (not painful or irritating), but obviously something that should be checked out. I haven't seen the Dr. since I was given the shot last Wednesday. I told the nurse about my symptoms over the phone and she said they were basically just a coincidence, and that I was most likely getting sick with this before I got the shot. I told her I wasn't buying that, and she got annoyed. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. :lolol:

Looking at it now, it does look a little better than it did earlier. I'll see what the Dr. says in the morning. She'll probably want some blood before giving me antibiotics and sending me on my merry way.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Anytime I hear "hot" and lump on a leg, my mind immediately goes to a blood clot. Doesn't mean it is (most often they develop behind or below the knee first), but it's always a concern.

Could be an abscess (which could also explain the fever and swollen lymph node). Or even a reaction to a bug/spider/tick bite.

I'll be curious what the doctor thinks.

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Alright now don't keep us waiting.

You OK?

Tell us the truth. Your doctor, she insisted on the Dr Wallace exam too.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    OK, the Dr. said I had a "normal", yet rather extreme response to the Dyptheria bacteria. She said the fever and headaches are going to run their course, as the bacteria is still in my system. She doesn't think the red spot on my thigh is related. She thinks I was bitten by something and didn't realize it. Personally, I know that's not right...but she's the expert.

Coincidentally, I noticed a bunch of red spots on my tricep and back when I got in the shower this morning that weren't there yesterday. They're more like blotches that aren't raised and don't itch. The Dr. thinks that they are eczema or something similar. She said that since I have seasonal allergies, I'm probably having an allergic response to something in the environment, and that I need to switch allergy meds. She gave me a script for Zertec, which she thinks will clear up the big red spot and the new little ones, and said to give them a call in a couple days if things don't improve.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The works.

22. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Has been about 32 hours since your last report TTF.

How you feeling my friend? Hope all is well!!

Please let us know.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm doing great! No headache this morning and no real fever to speak of. Got some red spots here and there, but I really don't care because I've been feeling great today. Went for a run earlier and got caught up on some work. Life is good. Thanks for asking. :smiley1:

-I forgot to add this yesterday. The Dr's. office called just before dinner last night and wanted to know if I had eaten any peaches, plums, or nectarines recently. She was saying that she had remembered about a big recall on those fruits at some stores, and my symptoms matched the listeriosis symptoms that people were getting infected with. I hadn't had any of those fruits recently, so I declined coming back down for a blood panel.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    So glad to hear!!!!:thumbs_up: Some things we just cant explain. Happy to hear you are feeling better!! Hope all stays well!!

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011