1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Cody Latimer should be our guy in the 2nd.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelers777, Apr 23, 2014.

1. steelers777

steelers777 Member

Apr 18, 2014
    [video=youtube;rZXQcakwFAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXQcakwFAc[/video]

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched a few of Latimer's games the other night, and I came away impressed. One of the best things about him is his blocking on the edge. Not only is he solid in supporting the run via downfield blocking, but he's also excellent in setting WR screens for his teammates (which would make him a great fit with AB and Wheaton). He is not without his flaws however. To me he looks a bit slow into his breaks, and frequently rounds them instead of making sharp cuts. It's hard to tell on limited tape whether that's just a technique issue that can be corrected with coaching and reps, or whether he's just a "straight line" athlete that doesn't change direction really well. In a normal draft, I think he'd be a 2nd - early 3rd round prospect. With this year's depth at WR, there are a bunch of guys with that type of grade, and I think there's a strong chance of either him or Moncrief being available at our 3rd round comp pick. I like him a lot, but I expect there to be some guys available at pick #46 who I like even more at positions that I don't think are as deep. In the 3rd, I think it's likely that he'd be among my best available players if he's still there.

3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, now that I've gone out and checked some of the various online big boards, I am not so sure that either him or Moncrief will be there at #97. The two of them seem to be moving up the lists. And to think, I got Latimer with the final comp pick of the 4th round in our message board mock draft... The Huddle Report has Latimer at #91, and CBS/draft scout has him at #70.

I still think there will be guys I like better that are available at #46, but I wouldn't be bummed out if we took Latimer. I think he's going to be a good player in the NFL.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He has been getting a lot of buzz lately, he's going to New York for the draft too so he must know he will be drafted probably early 2nd.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like the kid. my top 3 at 46, if we go WR and for a #2 type receiver would be ( moncrief, latimer, Bryant).

those 3 show me a lot to work with. blocking, speed, size, hands, toughness mix.:cool:

6. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I would rather have Jordan Matthews.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    :applaud::towel:

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think i finally found my problem with him. can someone tell me they have seen him catch a pass at waist level or below. I'm serious. every game i have watched i can't see it done once. very little effort unless the ball is above his waist. go look if you don't believe me.:shrug::cool:

9. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    VU-MVP Compass Bowl 14' Matthews is impressive for sure would take him all day! Has some height for Ben too..The kid is only going to get better he's totin' Jerry Rice blood in his circuits (cousin) ;)

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    again only if the ball is above his waist.:cool:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's your problem with him?

[​IMG]

I couldn't tell you how many, but he must have caught all 112 of those receptions above the waist last year I guess.:shrug:

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Meh, there are better options to be had in round 2 at the WR position. He seems like a nice player, but there are probably 4 or 5 guys that could be available that I like better (Matthews, Moncrief, Benjamin, Robinson, Adams)

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there has always been something about his game that puzzled me TTF. don't get me wrong I wouldn't complain if we took him, heck I was pimping him last year before he decided to go back to school, but if it's not in his chest or above, I haven't seen it. once against fla. on a slant gut level, that's been it. doesn't that seem odd? all the talk about receivers pass catch radius, why wouldn't that be of some concern? IDK just something I picked up on. it doesn't make him a bad player. why he's not at the top of the draft boards seems puzzling too.:hmmm::cool:

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Here you go, Mac. Lucky for me it was the first play of the first game I tried. :lolol:

[​IMG]

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know TTF... If you play it in super slo mo, when the ball arrives he has already fallen to the point where the ball is coming above his waist (which is pretty much on the ground at that point).

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    see. eye level.:lolol::cool:

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree 100%, but I've seen a ton of mocks with him gone by 46.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    You guys are too much. :lolol:

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Mike Evans is gone by the time we pick. I'm hoping for Latimer in round 2 or Allen Robinson from Penn State.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I saw an article focused on the 49ers' interest in Latimer that suggested that they would need to trade up from #30 to be able to get him. I find that hard to believe based on the depth at the position this year, but it's starting to look like the online draft pundits were sleeping on him. He is a really good prospect when you watch the film. I was hoping for a steal.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think partly that and too many going ga ga over guys that maybe weren't as polished. Benjamin, evans, to name a couple, just because of size and where they played or with whom they played. let's face it the alleged hiesman rapist and johnny football programs got a lot more coverage than Indiana. this all usually changes by draft time and the cream rises to the top. teams view players different than most draft board guys. latimer had a good game against dennard last year. so at least there is a measuring stick.:cool:

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Latimer looks good, but in all honesty, I think we have to wait until round 2 or 3 to get a WR. There is just so much talent at the position this year. Watkins is the only "can't miss" prospect in my mind, and that comes from a guy who still thinks Evans is CLEARLY the #2 and really likes him. IMO, I think we need a WR in the first 3 rounds, but the talent pool is very deep.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the guy that gets overlooked a lot and may become a better pro is martavis Bryant. I know the knock on him was he didn't run the full route tree at Clemson, but they had a go to guy like Watkins. Bryant however is a smooth customer and a big fast mismatch with great hands. he is not only a big target but a field stretcher. he creates problems for defenses. do they double him? wouldn't that then take the double off of AB? that is another way to create mismatches. I like him and think with the knowledge mann brings to our WR's now, it could work well. add a guy like this and we could actually be loaded at WR. this kid has the tools to work with physically. 2nd or 3rd round is where I'm seeing really good value in a WR. this kid or Bryant could make AB that much better.:cool:

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I like Latimer, but he's not a first round pick IMO. At least, I wouldn't be comfortable taking him in round 1 if I were a GM.

I like Bryant. He could be a good value and a solid addition IMO. Though, be ready for "he can't catch" and "Limas Sweed 2.0" remarks. One guy marked him with a high drop rate 2 months ago, someone posted it on Twitter, and suddenly everyone says he can't catch. SMH.