1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Have Had Extension Talks With Big Ben's Agent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 23, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is good news right? I mean he might come cheaper this year and it will free up more money. I am not sure about cap numbers so anyone know

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes. It's in the 3rd or 4th paragraph of the article.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Lock him up! :thumbs_up:. Although, from what I've read there's little benefit to the Steelers for doing this right away. Still, be nice to have Ben locked up for his career.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Even if there's little or no reason to do it early for 2014 cap purposes, I would love to see it get done before the next league year starts so that management doesn't have to deal with that uncertainty when making other personnel decisions and managing the cap.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's not really true. While it's not a fiduciary priority at this point, they could reduce his cap hit this year with a properly structured extension.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't been tracking our cap situation lately, but with Woodley's $8 mil moving from 2014 to 2015 on the books June 1, do we have space available to structure an extension in a manner that increases Ben's 2014 cap hit with the understanding that we can always do a mid-year restructuring if an emergency pops up and we need to get someone? That could help us in managing the 2015 cap. Thoughts?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I imagine it's just that his agent has been reading the Cam Heyward thread here, and wanted to clarify with the FO whether Ben was getting paid a lot or not.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    If the team didn't sign another free agent, they'd have around $4 Mil when the season starts. Obviously, that's not going to happen, but it gives you an idea of the overall cap picture. I can't see any scenario where Ben's cap hit would go UP in 2014 after an extension. I imagine '14 and '15 will have low bases, and after a ~$10 Mil spike, the remaining 4 years will climb each year.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good. Make him a Steeler for life and get the matter out of the way. :thumbsup:

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    are we looking to sign bens agent? whats his numbers?;)

for life? jeez BF I know you like him and all but ben at my age won't last that long on the field. maybe a clause in there to give little ben a tryout in 20 years. :smiley1::cool:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Move Gilbert to left tackle and that might only be a couple years. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that sir was just wrong. funny but wrong. I like it. LOL:lolol::facepalm::cool:

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    LOL NO DOUBT

what's eating Gilbert? the defense

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell yeah! Ben in 20 years will probably still be better then some of the QB's we are going to bring in to replace him :eek:

16. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Why not just backload the contract with a boatload of money that he will never see?
    I`ve said it before, and I`ll say it again...
    The "business" side of this game makes me sick!:mad::frustrated:
    Ben is already rich enough to take care of his grandkids` children...
    Contracts in the NFL, can be voided at a moment`s notice, to the player, except, "signing bonuses", and whatever else, is termed "guaranteed money"...
    Same thing goes for the player...
    "I know I signed a "contract", that said I would give you my services, for what you agreed to pay me"...
    But.... "Now I`m gonna hold out of training camp, until we can "re-negotiate" that contract, that I just signed last year..."
    It`s not unique to OUR team...
    It`s league-wide...
    And it`s BULL****!!!!
    From EITHER point of view... Team, or player...
    To me... You sign a contract...
    You honor the terms.
    PERIOD.
    But that ain`t what a contract means in any sport, nowadays...
    So, hell yeah lock Ben up....
    Promise him the moon...
    Or at least a reasonable"?" salary, for an elite qb...
    and hope he can still play for the years you extend him...
    He`s 30 right now, right?
    When do you think he will retire?(at max...)
    40?
    My guess is about 35/37, assuming he gets us 2 more Superbowl trophies...
    Promise him whatever looks good to his agent and him, then cut him in 7 years or so, before the extended contract is up...
    Seems to be how the league works...
    I read an article, on Fox Sports, that said less than 30% of contracts, actually go to their final 2 years...
    Or, even their final half of the contract that was signed...
    That`s why "guaranteed" money is so important, to the players, but long term "contracts" were better for the teams, and the players` agents...
    Whatever...
    I just want ben to stay here for a few more years, and ge us at least 2 more SuperBowl trophies...
    Peace...
    GO STEELERS!!!:yeehaw:

eDIT... P.S....
    I like the fact that the Rooneys keep their dealings behind closed doors, and outta the press...
    It`s a necessary evil, and they handle it better than any other front office in the league.
    I think that is the important point to take from Towel`s original link..:beard::herewego:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's 32 going into his 11th season.:cool: