1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers prefer Roby over Dennard

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For what it's worth, saw this tweet:

Some of you are endorsing Roby pretty hard, guess the Steelers see the same thing in him. Interesting.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not too surprising. He is definitely a better fit for us schematically. Plus, DL loves Buckeyes. Unless there's a trade down, I don't think he will be a Steeler though.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Roby is the perfect steelers corner. No ball skills, will come up and hit you though..... sounds like every corner we have.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've been a fuller- roby guy the whole time. just seems like their type of players. I could see it happening. yes he does have ball skills and yes he will support the run. either guy.:cool:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, it's probably true, but I hope he's not the pick at #15. I like Fuller a lot more personally. Roby is more of a "Steelers corner", though.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    really? no ball skills? lets reveiw.

Games played/ Tackles/ Pass breakups/ Int./ Yards returned/ seasons played
    Gilbert
    51/ 182/ 27/ 12/ 180/ 4

Dennard
    44/ 167/ 20/ 10/ 125/ 3

Roby
    36/ 179/ 36/ 8/ 226/ 3

Fuller
    54/ 207/ 29/ 10/ 3/ 4

Verrett
    37/ 160/ 34/ 9/ 35/ 3

your facts of no ball skills don't hold water. gilbert and dennard have become mythical for some reason and it's just not true. :cool:

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm with you, quite the opposite actually. Roby is an athletic corner that gambles, makes plays on the ball, and I think isn't as physical as our scheme usually requires.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't take Roby at #15, go look at the Wisconsin game he got owned by Jared Abberderis sp.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you have to get over that game and look at the whole body of work.:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's quite physical.:cool:

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I also prefer Roby over Dennard. However, at this juncture I prefer Fuller over all of the other corners (including Gilbert). Fuller and Gilbert are the only corners that I would be comfortable taking at #15. As for Roby having a bad game or two, every corner looks bad at times. It comes with the territory. I've even seen the legendary Revis Island get beat (incomprehensible though it may seem).

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    fuller was my choice when i started to look at the draft , then all the gilbert dennard hipe confused me
    :rolleyes:

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I prefer Fuller and Roby over Dennard, but only at pick 26 with the browns third and fourth round picks.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Roby is definitely more of a gambler than the other CB's. He has good instincts and relies on them. However, this leads to him getting beat with double moves sometimes. He is a very good tackler, and has pretty sure hands too. Didn't drop too many picks he got his hands on that I remember. The Abbrederis game wasn't all man to man coverage though too since OSU plays a LOT of base zone coverages, so he wasn't covering him on every play of the game (our safeties were terrible last year). One of his longer touchdown catches was on excellent coverage too that the QB just made a perfect throw to beat him.

He would have to work out some consistency issues so he doesn't have those poor two games like he did his junior season. He just didn't have games like that his sophomore year. I really like the kid, but Id be happier if we traded down and got him instead of jumping on him at 15. Roby's ceiling is really high, but Dennard is more of a sure thing IMO. If Dennard and Fuller are gone though then Roby would be great. He isn't much different from Gilbert except he plays the run really well.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    In OP it says the steelers like him more because of the depth of investigation they are doing on him.

News flash!!! They are doing that same depth on every 1st rd target and maybe more.

As far as who I like at CB, sorry

Its Gilbert 1st and always has been. Dennard is #2 and these are the only two I'd consider at 15.

If we trade back to the 20's I'd be happy with either Fuller/Roby or Verrett. In fact Verrett is quickly becoming my #3. Roby and Fuller are also solid. It is a truly deep class.

Cajun-

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My list is Gilbert, Roby, Fuller, Denard

But I would get either Evans or Benjamin first....and take Baptiste in the 2nd and Purifoy in the 4th

HACK

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have never seen the game you see in purifoy hack. personally I like his backfield buddy in jaylon Watkins. what is it that stands out with purifoy to you? oh and by the way he was arrested I thought I heard or was going to be or something, just a few weeks ago. have you heard anything about it? I just thought maybe that 4th rd. grade you like with him may even be there later than the 4th.

have you seen much of phillip gaines? he's worth taking a look at if you get the time. he's climbing the boards in the 2nd now. I do love all the options this year.

I don't mean to change the subject but, how do you think our Philly brown will work out late or as an UDFA here? I thought he would get more love in this draft. :smiley1::cool:

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here is some info on the Purifoy situation. I would pass before the 6th at this point.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...voided-arrest-by-agreeing-to-be-an-informant/

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And you wonder why we haven't had
    an exciting CB since Rod Woodson?
    Playmakers we need playmakers.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Other than Gilbert, Purifoy is the best athlete at the CB in this entire draft. I don't care what his numbers at the Combine were. I had him as a 1st round grade the entire process. That being said, given his current legal situation, the Steelers will stay away. I thought it would have been interesting what DL & Lake could have done with the kid. He is a very willing tackler.

Purifoy is definitely a better talent than both Watkins & Roberson from Florida. QBs rarely threw in Purifoy's direction. The kid has playmaking abilities including a great strip. I also think he will be GREAT on ST, especially covering kicks - probably the best gunner in the draft. I think he could also play S and would make a great nickel corner. Very versatile.

Unfortunately, he is starting to remind me of another CB that I loved in college - Perrish Cox, who just couldn't stay out of trouble.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Watkins will become a very good FS down the road with cb capabilities. similar with what they are trying to do with Thomas. if they use Thomas,mitchell and Watkins this way, we never have to sub if they bring in 5 wide. we are set and can man up if we want. I believe this is the new trend we are leaning too so we can use the S/CB type against the run and pass and not having LB'ers having to cover as much. the LB'ers can be an extra pass rusher and TE's or extra WR's are better covered and more pass rush, but from a different spot. more up the middle into the face of the QB.

I still think this sub package is going to become more of the norm for us. I think Watkins and aaron Donald could thrive in it. not to mention a guy like brock verreen. it could be why they have a lot of interest in him. as an eventual troy replacement if an injury happens in this type of defense.:cool:

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    How about Anyone Exum for that type of role? He was a really solid player in 2012 before his injury. Big, tough corner/safety hybrid.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I like him but the speed isn't there like in these others. he has also had some injuries. I think they are looking to add speed.

Thomas and Mitchell are both fast guys and good in run support.

Watkins is fast and good in run support and coverage. vereen is fast, good in coverage and run support. they have been checking him out this year. he was a guy I mentioned when he was still considered an UDFA on just about every board. fast to cover receivers and cover a lot of field but stoudt enough to play the run. using quickness instead of size to slow the run down. like how they played troy last year.

roby fits that bill too as a fast good coverage run stopper type corner. he brings some speed back to the corner spot, but doesn't give up run support. add fast good run support safeties behind him that don't compromise coverage abilities and we could have one heck of a defense. speed kills on defense and we had gotten slow.:cool:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they would draft Purifoy he has some legal issues to deal with.