1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haley is predictable

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We've heard opponents say they knew what was coming on defense but now apparently our offense is transparent too.

Could that be one reason they allowed Ben to call more plays? Offense definitely played better after that.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think I read on average the Steelers put up 23.7 points per game, 16th in the league for 2013. With these kinds of numbers I don't believe any team nor player can say they knew what Haley was doing however as you pointed out do we know which plays were Bens and those of Haleys. Very difficult to discern.

Bman

3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

So what is the purpose of having Haley then? We are paying him millions to have our QB call the plays because he is too predictable? I wish I could get paid that amount and then let someone else have to do my job because everyone knows what Im going to do before I do it.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First, I would worry more about this if I felt like he just wasn't trying to create controversy in Pittsburgh. The reality is us getting our stuff together would NOT be good news for Peyton and his boys.

Second, we didn't play one team from the Broncos division. Not sure how this insider actually gets information to make this an informed statement. It might be, but I would feel better if I knew who it was from. For instance, did it come from the Pats? Hmmm...did they pull out some old tape of the Cardinals or Chiefs to study?

Third, when in college I worked with our football team doing video production for them. Our coach, a former NFL coach of the Browns, used to say he didn't care if they knew what was coming. If it was run correctly and executed correctly it wouldn't matter.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I actually wish I was a meteorologist. Get paid to never be right.. Now thats a job.. Imagine..

Bman

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup I was going to comment exactly this is my first reply. Hell you knew the Bus was going to run it and he still trucked ya

Bman

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Offense didn't start doing well until they went no huddle, it sucked ass before that.

To create tabloid fodder between him and Ben, naturally :)

True, but easier to pull off when they don't know what's coming. Every advantage helps.

8. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    We did play the Raiders last year............

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I said team. That is just a bunch of guys who wear the same uniform and suck at football.

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    They also kicked our butts
    Back to Haley. The same Haley who had us beat in SB XLIII? That Haley?. Good thing we had Ben and Tones then

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol::applaud:

12. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I think Cecil hung out with Beany way too long! But if the story is valid then stay with what works the no huddle... but right prior to this option we the offense were coming together without. Watching this team week after week i do see a team (both sides of the ball) looking more predictable with repetitional play calling if you will, i'm sure this is an achilles heel for other teams in the league as well... predictably to a degree is to be expected its football.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    whats really predictable? most teams know peyton will throw the ball more than run it. most know tom tom will throw it more than run it. all teams have bread & butter tendencies they run game in and game out. year in and year out. who changes their offense every year? when it's 3rd and 8 i'll bet near every team in the league throws the ball. is that predictability or just playing the odds? LOL:shrug::cool:

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Every team except for the steelers with Haley as the oc. When we're facing 3rd and long it's a draw play 9 times out of 10.

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I wonder how many of "us" or the "media" can really say WHO is calling WHAT play? I bet it's close to ZERO. Pure speculation. If it's a predictable play, that must mean it was Haley's call, because Ben wouldn't make that call. Please. Unless someone here is in the huddle or sideline, nobody really knows who's calling which plays.

You really think Haley has NO input into Ben running the no huddle? Last I heard, the QB's still have radios in their helmets, and offensive coordinators have microphones. Any reasonable fan has to know that they even script some of the "no-huddle" plays and adjust based on the defensive formations and personnel.

I'm not saying I'm 100% happy with the offense, but I know that I don't have any inside information telling me who is calling the plays.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Been said many times that Ben calls the plays out of the no huddle. Obviously Haley can and I'm sure does feed some of the plays to Ben but it's mostly Ben calling them.

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Cheers Mac. Agree whole heartedly. You knew Peyton and Brady were throwing it but it never really helped the opposition most times including the Steelers.

And 4th and 1 your either punting, QB sneak or faking the punt. lol

Bman

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he uses foster as a dry erase board. he draws them right on his gut. those ain't tattoo's.;):cool:

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes true. Ben has been lobbying for no huddle since 2012.
    Ben has finally matured and has confidence to the point where he is capable of reading defenses and making plays at the line.

They have to continue to use the no huddle.

Bman

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Longer than that even. I remember stories from 2010 or '11 about him not getting the no huddle freedom he wanted.

21. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I definitely remember him wanting to use the no huddle back then.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Thanks TTF for the clarification. I really question if Ben was ready that early. I believe after watching him last year he is ready to run a successful no huddle

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Steelers playcalling has been predictable with both Haley and Arians. With Haley, I did give him the benefit of the doubt early on and suggest he played a long-term game with playcalling. In his first three games, he played the same screen play a few times. In the fourth game, the screen play set up exactly the same, but they faked it and went down field instead. I think Haley wanted to play with the predictability thing a bit. But injuries, lack of execution etc. was always going to get in the way of that plan.

The fact is, though, the offense simply plays better when its on the fly, backs against the wall, adrenalized no huddle. 'Sandlot', as pundits never tire of saying.

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll give Haley the credit for adjusting Ben's play in that regard (though it may have been the QB coach, or anyone else, tbh). The step forward Ben has made is not trying to go for the 80 yard TD on every play. That's still part of his game, of course, but his development in that regard has helped the no-huddle play calls.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    so we are predictable on offense and defense ...:facepalm: