1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Earliest draft day memories

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by JackAttack 5958, Apr 19, 2014.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've enjoyed the NFL draft for as long as I can remember. It's almost like Christmas for a lot of NFL fans. I hate that Goodell has postponed the draft from April to May this year. Christmas is in December. Thanksgiving is in November. Independence Day is in July. The Draft should be in April!!!

At any rate, for you youngsters out there the draft has not always been the primetime event that it is today. I remember when the draft used to be held on Tuesday morning. That's right. Tuesday morning. Worse yet, until ESPN was founded in 1978 you couldn't watch it on TV. The NFL draft was first televised in 1980 by ESPN but there was one problem. I didn't have ESPN!!! My older brother had ESPN and I remember going over to his house on Tuesday morning to watch the draft the year the Steelers drafted Louis Lipps. Another year I remember calling the local radio station to see if the Steelers draft pick had come across the wire. It had. They drafted John Rienstra.

It's interesting to see what the draft has evolved into over the years. It's now must see TV for me and other NFL fans. I'd be interested to hear some of your earliest draft memories.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you old man. you and I both know we can remember back to things that happened a long time ago but we can't for the life of us remember who we drafted last year, or five minutes ago.;):lolol::cool:

3. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I remember Ed Conway doing the draft...a half hour highlight show on W.T.A.E. radio back in the late 60's. He had a young reporter who had a profile of each of the Steelers 17 picks, by the name of Myron Cope!

:steelflag:

4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Who me? :huh:

In all seriousness there are times I have to think really hard about who we drafted last year. The other day it took me forever to remember that we drafted Jarvis Jones in the first round last year. Of course my excuse is that his first year was somewhat forgettable. :lolol:

5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That's great!

Keep 'em coming guys.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it was different back then. I remember hearing them on wtae news that evening. there were a lot of rounds then and we didn't have the FA movement like today. we kept our good players from past drafts. it was a big deal around here in the 70's because they just kept hitting HR's every year. the 80's came and we wanted the 70's to continue. it got to be a fun time watching who our next stud player was going to be because we knew this year gets us back to 1970's. joe greene. who the heck is joe greene?

well, this noll guy seems to do a pretty good job. that got me hooked.:cool:

7. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    One other thing I remember about the Ed Conway draft radio show: He always talked to the Chief. The Great Old Man said the exact thing about every kid we ever drafted: "He's a good kid, He's a tough kid"! We could have drafted charles manson and the loveable Chief would have said:"He's a good kid, He's a tough kid!"
    :steelflag:

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am in a world of Chit, I will be traveling
    starting the 8th,might be unavailable
    the whole weekend. This really sucks,
    thanks GOODELL.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hate that they moved it to May also, the NFL is just looking to be in the headlines in the month of May they just want to take away from the NBA and NHL playoffs. I actually liked the old format of Saturday and Sunday, instead of dragging it out over three days and into primetime.

11. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    The Rockettes pulled rank.

Radio City is their official home, and they had originally had a spring show slotted in.....http://heartandlights.com/2015.html

Now it is postponed until 2015; when we will go round and round again!

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not going back too far but the first draft that I actually watched was 2003. I had become a big USC fan back then and was enamoured with both Carson Palmer and Troy Polamalu as 1st rounders. Obviously Palmer was out of the question, but I was hoping Troy would fall to us. As we traded up I had my fingers crossed hoping it would be Troy.

Great first memory! :smiley1: