1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think Mike Adams could be dominant RT. Gilbert has not impressed me. My understanding is that they tried Gilbert at LT at the start of camp last year and he was such a dismal failure they had to try Adams there and we all witnessed the outcome of that.

My question is: now that Beachum will likely get the chance to hold down the left side, will Adams get a chance to compete at RT or is Gilbert entrenched there?

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No way is Gilbert "entrenched" there. I think it will be an open competition between the two in training camp.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Great point. I really think Adams is our RT of the future and I only hope that he gets a chance to compete. Gilbert is serviceable but doesn't have as high of a ceiling as Adams does at that position. I would expect an improvement in the run game without a dropoff in pass protection if we insert Adams at RT. Unless he gets stabbed again, he'll have a full offseason to improve his base strength.

Let Gilbert play out his contract with the idea of Adams as the replacement. Even if Adams supplants him this year Gilbert would make a good swingman backup on the right side until his contract expires.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Between the two of them one of these guys need to step up and play up to their potential, if Munchak can't these guys to play better then it's time to move on. I think Gilbert is in the final year of his contract.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    don't be surprised if we draft someone by the 4th rd. to compete

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If Gilbert can become consistent he will be more than adequate at rt. He shows very well and then follows it up with a bone headed play

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, if Munch can't get em squared away then let em walk when their times up.

8. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Neither of our OTs is entrenched. Beachum's main asset as a LT seems to be that he wasn't as bad at pass blocking as Adams. That's not saying much.

9. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    I thought Adams played decent there as a rookie, primarily in the run game. I would love to see him win that spot this year. All the reports coming out are that he's working real hard this off season.....so thats good.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My understanding was not that Gilbert failed at LT. It was that they wanted Mike Adams to do it. It's what they drafted him for, and they already liked Gilbert at RT. Like you said, we all saw the outcome of Adams at LT, who was miserable in pass protection - there's no chance that Gilbert, whose strength is pass protection and has said several times that he's as comfortable or more comfortable on the left side than the right, was worse than him. I don't buy it.

That said, Adams certainly has more athleticism and a higher ceiling than Gilbert, and is also a better run blocker. Between those two and Beachum, handing anybody a job on either side won't help. I think it should be an open competition, which is sort of what happened last year and didn't go so well... but this year we've got Munchak, who I trust to not only improve the players, but also do a better job of selecting who goes where. Plus, with Beachum having improved so much over the course of 2013, it's a different situation. No one's entrenched, and that's the way it should be.

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Stamp of approval!!!

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sometimes it's just better to say nothing at all.:facepalm::cool:

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't know, Beach looked good to me wherever they've put him and that's not settling he earned it. Bet Munch keeps him on that line.

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. I'll guarantee you one thing, Beachum may not retain the starting LT spot but he'll dang sure go down fighting. I thought he played admirably there last year and I'll betcha that Munchak will love the kid!

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope they let munch do his thing no matter who's feelings get hurt.:cool:

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'll go further. admit-tingly maybe just me, when I see him out there he solid. Let the others fight over the right side. He's smart too, an O'lineman's most important asset. He was working w/ Tunch on the offensive punch and is now working w/ others on hand grip n' feet and he's what, 24?

No Sir, sometimes you just have to fess up and realize you may have missed a gem.
    SMU? 7th round? Undersized? H3ll, they ask this kid to play cntr and not only will he do it but he'll be serviceable! He'll be home at night reading "Centers for dummies!" or something so he can just "do it". LOL

What a gem and just when we needed to find one for that then atrocious line.

17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I believe Beech will do fine this yr. and Munchak will see to it!! :lolol: Seriously Beech ended on a strong note! I'm looking forward to this season for sure!

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. Beechum has done all of the right things, and is demonstrating exactly the right approach to keep on improving. Whether or not he's given a starting position heading into camp is irrelevant, because he'll earn it (again) if he needs to. That's what you tend to get when you pick a really smart O-lineman who goes late in the draft (or not at all) because his height/weight/arm length isn't ideal. I don't know of any specific stats that measure success rate of different position groups vs. where their drafted, but I'd bet that O-line is the position group that has the highest percentage of successful players who were 5th round or higher picks and UDFAs. Typically that's more common with interior linemen, but you can sometimes find good tackles late too. Look for the smart guys like Beech.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'll second this statement. Beach has done everything right. All I'm gonna say is Mike Webster didn't have all the physical gifts in the world, but look what he accomplished.

20. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Some scout or coach apparently saw something in Beachum probably while looking at Sanders. Do organization's get as much credit for this as they get blame for the failure of higher choices? If you go back and look at the 70's teams there were almost as many later round choices as there were top 3 on the roster. There is a part you can't really measure no matter how smart we think we are.

21. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Adams is awful in pass protection at either OT spot. He's the kind of guy that gets your QB killed.

22. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Beachum gave up 7 sacks in less than a full season as the starter, which is pretty bad. And his run blocking is nothing to write home about. He's backup material.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    two of those he was credited with could go to someone else too. down the stretch he gave up none. those were in his first few games and then he settled in to do a fine job. so he's as much starting material as anyone on that line and the best we have at LT. this kid was watching film the day last season ended to get ready for this year. give me 5 of those backups.:cool:

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That depends on what you consider down the stretch.

25. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    It's great that he's watching film, but you don't get paid to watch film, you get paid to block. If you're getting beat or missing assignments, nothing else matters.

His sacks allowed per snap played percentage was awful.