1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OKAY all you draft geniuses

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by darcrav, Apr 17, 2014.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    esplain to me
    if we trade our first rd pick down what can we get in picks ?

their 2nd and 3rd or this years 2nd and next year 2nd.

what's the value and options

thanks

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There are a lot of variables. How far back are you talking about trading? Couple spots or end of the 1st etc?

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I know you meant to help

WTF! lol (no emoticons ?)

steelers are 1050

say traded with Carolina
    do we get their 1st rd and 2nd rd totaling 960? call it even?

is it possible to get 2 2nds for 1st rd in this year draft and how because no one has 2 2nd rd picks

someone mentioned to me trade the 1st rd for 2 2nds and pouncey to another team for 2 2nds totaling 5 2nd rd pics

is that EVEN possible?

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    who we trade with is a factor also...... if it's Washington, we could come away with a king's ransom

6. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    how do these other teams have 2 second round draft picks or did i miss something? how do they have 2 to give for a first?

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the team to target in this thing is Houston. Despite not performing well and having the #1 overall pick, they actually have some talent on that team already. They imploded...yes....but they do have some talent. You move back 18 picks total and out of the first round this year, BUT you add a 2nd and a 3rd this year and something else for next year as well.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Draft geniuses? That sounds like a title that has too much pressure associated with it.

Trade scenarios are almost always consummated in real-time depending on who is available. I have no doubt that teams work out a lot of "maybe" deals in the days leading into the draft, but in general those deals are subject to who's available when the pick arrives. I remember reading an interview with a front office exec a few years ago - can't remember who. I can best explain what he discussed by giving an example: if their pick arrived, and they had suitors for the pick, they would see how many guys they really wanted who they thought would go before their next round's selection, and then decide whether - and how far - to trade back. If there was only 1 guy, then they would make the pick and not trade back. If there were 2 or 3 guys, they would risk trading back maybe 3-5 slots. If there were 4 or 5 guys they wanted, then they would be comfortable trading back 8-10 slots knowing that other teams had different needs and different draft boards (and being comfortable that at least one of their guys would be there).

I think that deciding to trade up is bit simpler. There's a guy you covet, you don't think he'll be there for your natural draft pick in that round, and you know what picks you're willing to sacrifice to get him. If he drops into the range where your ammo could be acceptable to someone, you start making calls to see if you can make the jump. The same could apply for a position. For example, you like 3 tackles entering the round, and you want one of them. You want to wait and see if one is going to fall to you, but if you see them start going, you should have an idea what ammo you're willing to use to move up and secure one of them.

I am usually a proponent of trading down, but rarely would I want to do it before our pick arrives. You never know who will be there. you wouldn't have wanted to trade down in the 1st round before the 2012 draft based on projections of who would be available at our pick, only to then see that DeCastro would have been there for our pick had we not traded back.

When I look at this draft, I see potential trade parters in the Jets at 18, the Dolphins at 19 and the Cards at 20. Each of those would net a 3rd rounder as compensation. Where we're sitting at #15, someone who is projected higher will probably drop. I could see the Jets looking to move up to our spot for Evans, Ebron or possibly even Lee or Beckham. They need weapons desperately. I could see the Dolphins trading up for Lewan or Z. Martin, or maybe Dennard, Gilbert or Jernigan. I think for the Cards we're also looking O line or Ebron as a possibility.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the cards and a TE? BA wouldn't use heath when he was here.:eek::smiley1:

I get what you are saying elvis just messin with you.

one thing about this draft that may be a little different than most years is a lot of guys are real close in terms of quality, so if one is taken before you pick, there is another that's pretty darn close to his skillset still on the board. :cool:

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was actually thinking about creating a thread on this topic, but I'll just list it here.

I've been thinking of possible trade d own scenarios, with teams that I think could come up. Here they are:

To SF 49ers:
    pick #15

To Pittsburgh Steelers:
    picks #30, #61 & #94

SF wins on the trade chart but only by a small amount. We could play hardball and request pick #56 from SF instead of #61 and then we would have a slight edge.

Having done the Mock Draft for SF, they are LOADED with talent and don't need all of these picks. They could easily move up and get a really good WR that they wouldn't get at #30. Or perhaps they would come up and grab the #2 CB.

This draft is deep and I think the extra picks would definitely benefit us.

2a.
    To San Diego Chargers:
    pick #15

To Pittsburgh Steelers:
    picks #25 & #57

San Diego may be looking for that #2 CB or a falling OLB. This is a dead even trade according t o the Chart. We could then use this pick to trade down even further as seen below.

2b.
    Trade down (Again) with the Jaguars:
    To Jacksonville Jaguars:
    pick #25

To Pittsburgh Steelers:
    picks (#39 & #70)

I've read alot of rumours of the Jags wanting to trade back into Round 1 to get a QB like Derek Carr. They don't have the firepower to move too far up. If they moved their 2nd and 3rd (picks #39 & 70), it might get them close to pick #24 or #25. This is a scenario, where if we were to move down once, where we could potentially move down again. I think the Jags will want to jump Cleveland at #26.

So in the end:
    We give up pick #15
    and receive picks #39, #57 & #70

In a deep draft like this, I think we would definitely re-stock the cupboards. Couple those 3 picks with our #46 pick, and I think we would be getting 4 starting calibre players. Its a long way t o drop down, granted, but given the depth, could be worth a look.

To Miami Dolphins:
    pick #15

To Pittsburgh Steelers:
    picks #19 & #50.

Its a hefty price to pay as we certainly would be winning on the Chart. Miami is in a desperate situation though. I think they realized their mistakes with Mike Wallace and drafting of Dion Jordan last year as both underachieved. They may be willing to make a desperate move in order to get the guy they want. There's an interesting g roup of teams behind us with Dallas, Baltimore and NY Jets, who all have similar type needs. Jumping all three could be a coup for a couple of teams. You could look at similar deals with the out of conference Arizona Cardinals or Green Bay Packers too.

In the end, I am not advocating for any of these moves, just food for thought. this is a deep draft, and if you could accumulate 2nd and 3rd round picks, its really not a bad price to pay.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I honestly think the likeliest trade partner is Philadelphia. I think they backed themselves into a corner with DJax and need a WR badly. I could see them giving up #22 and #54 if someone like Evans is still on the board. Steelers would probably give up #15 and #118 for this trade to be about equal on the value chart.

12. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But if Evans is there we are picking him. I would not make trade if he was there.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the best case scenario is for someone to really want a QB and that person slips. I think Houston and Cleveland could potentially be the best possible options.

I don't like the thought of trading with Cleveland, but I think it could fit pretty well. Houston is mostly about who they are looking at as possible #1 overall picks. Wouldn't you love to have Watts and Clowney? I would, but you need a QB. So what do you do? You look to get one later in the draft.

In the Houston scenario, if they take Clowney, they still need a QB. Can they wait till the #1 pick in round 2? Will the guy they want slip past everyone into that position?

Cleveland is in the same boat. If Watkins is there, he is a great talent and they have a pick later on at 26, so maybe you wait till later, but what if someone jumps over you and takes the guy you really want. Are you willing to wait? There are probably 4 QBs in this draft worth looking at and if 3 come off the board in the first 10 and one isn't to them, Cleveland may get desperate.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Here is one draft trade opinion from a report on teams trading their 1st round pick up or down... 15. Pittsburgh Should consider trading up for: Justin Gilbert. We are well into the picks now where trading up would mean climbing a couple of positions, rather than securing a spot at or very near the top of the draft. If picks 10-12 come around and someone like Gilbert — arguably the draft’s top CB — remains, the Steelers certainly should entertain this thought.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I posted about this scenario earlier this month, I would do it to get Gilbert.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That's my thoughts too, we need to draft quality over quantity in this draft, even if they draft 9 players, only 4 or 5 will make the cut anyway, why not use those picks to trade up regardless of the round to get a quality player, it's time to upgrade this defense, and late round picks isn't going to be the way to do it..........

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good food for thought. I have quite a few targets that I like a lot, but don't love at #15. If we could be in the late 1st / early 2nd range and still get a guy like Shazier, or Dennard/Fuller/Roby/Verrett, or Kelvin Benjamin... and then have all those other picks to tidy up, that would be amazing.

Late round picks, no... But in a very deep draft, and on a team with a lot of holes, having 4 picks in rounds 2-3 could be better than two picks in rounds 1-3. Or not. It all depends on who is available. Day 2 looks like it will have a lot of value this year.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I still think that Jake Matthews is the only player I'd want to move up for. Still not sold on Gilbert. He's explosive and immensely talented but looked lazy and sloppy in his backpedal at times against WVU this year (the only full game of his I watched).

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'd love to have more 2nd and 3rd picks. These two rounds will be a talent gold mine this year.