1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Apr 17, 2014.

1. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you think that we will use some of the players that we signed as being a free agent and also some that we acquire in the draft or are we going with the same old line up we have now and have another 8-8 season. I realize that yes some of these guys need the experience but they are not going to get it sitting on the bench.

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Mitchell, Blount, Moore or DHB, Moats, and Thomas will all be used. We have no choice. As for our draft picks, we have to wait and see who we get. Some positions are easier to learn, and we have greater need at some than at others. If we draft a safety in the 1st round, he's likely not playing much.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Like contract, I think they'll be the usual process of filling empty spots and seeing what the draft throws up.

Just two pedantic points, though: first, last year's line up wasn't exactly the "same old one" - new RB, new LBs, shifts in the DB depth chart, different C and T, etc. Last year was always going to be a transitional year, as will this one be. New guys make mistakes and need to learn their trade, old guys need to adjust to their changing abilities.

Second, while I don't think last year's talent was enough for an unbeaten season or anything, our 8-8 record was as much about execution and mindset than it was the actual players in position. Of course, that's not to say there isn't room for substantial improvement.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    After watching all of the young players in Seattle dominate a SB I believe the Steelers need to shift their ideology towards allowing more playing time for the prospects. LeBeau's riding the pine to learn strategy hasn't proved much lately. The defense has been very soft and out of position in the recent past. I do believe that will change this year. At least I hope it does.

Although not a younger player, I do see LeGarrett Blount playing a significant role in Todd Haleys offense.

As for the others, I see spot playing time that will either increase or decrease upon either positive or negative performance. They will be given a chance more after back to back 8-8 years but what they do with it will matter most.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see Blount filling the same role as Dwyer, spelling Bell. They aren't going to take significant snaps away from LB.

And riding the pine had as much to do with who was playing in front of them as learning the system.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think TH likes his multi dimensional backs a lot better. LGB will have a role, but I expect a 3rd guy to be used in a lot more roles than him spelling bell. to me blount is a lot like dwyer. short yardage with some capabilities to pound some minutes off the clock, can catch some passes but just not a real part of his game. that will limit what we do when he's in. adding another multi dimensional guy keeps the playbook opened up.:cool:

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, just about all of the FA will be used this upcoming season.
    Wheaton is a ? but we should find out what we have in him this year.
    We're going to see more Jones too. I think he's better than perceived after last season.

They're going to grab a WR and CB this draft and probably two of each and they'll see playing time.
    The demand is there so you're going to see rooks play unlike the past. IMO.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dwyer had 49 carries for 197 yards last season as opposed to 2012 when he had 156 carries for 623 yards when he started 6 games.
    TH would be foolish to not give Blount at least double the carries that Dwyer had in 2013. Not saying he will start over Bell but the offense will not change much if the Steelers don't pound the rock with both backs being heavily involved.

As for riding the pine, the starters just ain't cutting the mustard and it shows by the obvious softness that this D has played with for 2 years now. It's time to get the younger players more involved now. Other teams are proving they can adjust but Lebeau still doesn't show confidence in them. That mindset needs to change or he should find a nice beach community to retire to in 2015.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    didn't he show that last year with 7 new starters on defense? JJ,worilds,mclendon,woods,Williams,heyward,allen. none of them started in 2012 maybe worilds a game here or there. :cool:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. This is kind of what I was suggesting above. People act like we've never changed anything in the last decade, but part of the problem last season was precisely the shift from old guys to new guys.

It's simple, really - if a guy is good enough to play, then he plays. Just being "young" should never be a reason in and of itself. For every rookie star you get a ton of Josh Victorians (low ceiling, low performance) and Robert Goldens (higher ceiling, but visibly out of their depth). It's also a mistake to think that simply by being out on the field they'll progress, as well. A young guy thrown on to the field too early can have their confidence destroyed pretty quickly.

Which is not to say that I'm happy with waiting 9 years before a player gets to see the field, of course.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I don't think they have the luxury to sit top drafted rookies any longer, two back to back 8-8 seasons says what they have been doing isn't working, for example if they get a top 3 corner in the 1st round this year they have to start him, two 8-8 seasons sez it's time..

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I could get on board with this. If both backs stay healthy I would think somewhere between 100 -130 carries should be about the workload for Blount's season. Less than 100 carries would be barely using him, and would be incredibly stupid. It would be equally stupid for him to get too many more carries than the 130 or so by taking the much more talented and versatile Bell off the field too frequently. Somewhere between 6-8 carries per game should be just right. One series to spell Bell and a situational carry or two during the game.

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This. We can't just play rookies for the sake of playing them. Play them when they are ready, whether it is right away or three years down the road. Sometimes I feel like we wait a little too long to play people, and they are actually ready to go about a half season before they actually get in... However, I'd rather wait a half season too long than throw these kids in to the fire and hope for the best.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody likes change but I think it is about time we had some on this team. As someone stated before two 8-8 seasons in not Steeler football and if they are going to make these newbies sit the pine then why pick them. Our D is getting old and I think it is time we had some younger blood in there.