1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fanspeak Draft Simulator

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know if any of you have checked out the draft simulator at fanspeak.com lately, but it has gotten quite good. You can play a basic version for free, and draft all 7 rounds using your choice of the Fanspeak, Walter Football or Quantum Scouting big boards for the simulation. If you pay them $5, you get the premium simulator that adds trades. I have spent quite a bit of time out there the past few evenings running and re-running draft simulations.

I remember last year there was a simulator on some other site that we were playing around with. IMO this one is better. The Quantum big board nets some very strange results (like Mike Evans always being available at pick #46), but the other two give you what seem to be very realistic results. It's definitely fun for draft freaks.

2. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here's a draft that I just did w/o trades using the Fanspeak big board:

1 CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
    2 DE/DT Ra’shede Hageman, Minnesota
    3 T Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
    4 WR Cody Latimer, Indiana
    5a CB Terrance Mitchell, Oregon
    5b G/T Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt
    6a OLB Howard Jones, Shepard
    6b TE Jake Murphy, Utah
    7 RB Jerick Mckinnon, Georgia Southern

The Hageman pick in R2 was not part of my plan going in, but he was a BPA at a position we could use, so I grabbed him there. What killed me was that between our 2nd and 3rd round picks, I watched pretty much all of the WRs and pass rushers that I liked go off the board, and there was nothing I could do because we don't have the ammo to make a move. I have a sinking feeling that we may be seeing something like that play out in reality on Day 2, and it just makes me curse Colbert and Co. for trading away our 2014 3rd last year.

3. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Nice, thx. Was wanting something like this.

Here was my 1st one, using fanspeak big board. Really like my last two picks.

15​
    CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    OKLAHOMA STATE

TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
    WASHINGTON

S DION BAILEY
    USC

RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    BAYLOR

RB DRI ARCHER
    KENT STATE

OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
    NOTRE DAME

WR L’DAMIAN WASHINGTON
    MISSOURI

DT SHAMAR STEPHEN
    UCONN

OT SEANTREL HENDERSON
    MIAMI

My 2nd one with Optinum...

5 CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
    MICHIGAN STATE

46 DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
    MINNESOTA

97 DT STEPHON TUITT
    NOTRE DAME

118 RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    BAYLOR

157 DT SHAMAR STEPHEN
    UCONN

173 ILB MAX BULLOUGH
    MICHIGAN STATE

192 TE CROCKETT GILMORE
    COLORADO STATE

215 OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
    NOTRE DAME

230 WR L'DAMIAN WASHINGTON
    MISSOURI

4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure I see either of those scenarios go down like that. I'm not comfortable with our RB situation to wait until the 7th round, and don't think it's bad enough to pickup 2 RB's in consecutive rounds either.

Also, don't think Gilbert will fall. Don't see us picking up Dennard if Gilbert isn't there, alternatives would be Mike Evans, Eric Ebron in my opinion. Honestly I don't see them using a 1st rounder on a CB, heck they had a chance a few years ago to get a local favorite and let the Jets jump us to draft a consensus #1 CB. I think they go offense in WR or TE first, and maybe defensive line or CB in the 2nd.

5. Kevin James

Feb 11, 2012
    I don't really think of Archer as a RB, but I understand your point. What do you think of my second one? DL of the future, lol.

If Evans is there at #15, it's a no brainer.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should use a 1st rounder on a CB that's a weak spot on the defense, I could see them taking Dennard if Gilbert isn't there they need more help at CB than TE Ebron.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    15 WR MIKE EVANS
    TEXAS A&M

46 DE RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN
    MINNESOTA

97 CB PIERRE DESIR
    LINDENWOOD

118 TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ
    IOWA

157 RB DRI ARCHER
    KENT STATE

173 OL MICHAEL SCHOFIELD
    MICHIGAN

192 DE BEN GARDNER
    STANFORD

215 WR MATT HAZEL
    COASTAL CAROLINA

230 OLB SHAQUIL BARRETT
    COLORADO STATE

I could live with this. I wanted two CBs, but they just weren't there.

8. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    You would have just missed out on the first two picks if you played this game on draftek.com. The rams took Gilbert at 13 and the Titans took Hageman at 43. The Steelers settled for Dennard and Tuitt.

This can be played using any site that has an extensive rounds mock draft. You simply post the site link and go from there. I saw this last year for the 1st time and thought it was the best idea Ive ever seen to simulate the feel of a real draft. I was going to post one but was waiting till only one week before the actual draft. Any site can be used but I was thinking draftek is more authentic than the one used last year which was waltersfootball.com

Uh! Antonio Richardson was drafted #37 by Atlanta. Elvis I'm not sure that Fanspeak site has a real handle on these players.

You were fine with WR Latimer. He was available at #118 but TS took a RB DeAnthony Thomas from Oregon. Latimer went to Carolina at 128. I did not go any further more than likely all the others were fine.

9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nobody has a real handle on all of the players, and I think that the depth of this draft will create even more "surprises" relative to online mocks as compared to years past. I used to be a frequent visitor to drafttek, but they were just way off with so many players, so much of the time, and I stopped going. I think that all 3 of the boards that fanspeak uses have very defensible rankings. The weird Mike Evans thing that I had noted regarding the quantum big board is no longer present. I'm not sure if it was an error, or if the guys at quantum finally got around to watching some film of him...

10. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm not sure exactly how that Fanspeak worked. I think it was the same as what I expected. I couldn't get the simulator to work. It would not allow me to use either Walter or the other one and insisted on using Fanspeak. Then it asked me to make my Steeler picks??? WTF I turned it off.

Some questions for you. Did you know who the 1st 14 players taken were before you made your 1st Steeler pick. Did you know who the next 31 players taken were before you picked at 46?? etc etc throughout the entire 7 rounds the same? Do you know who was making the picks for the simulator?

Frankly, I did not understand how it worked. Could I have taken Clowney? He was on the board.

Anyway, waltersfootball does not have their final 7rd mock draft up yet. When they do I will give it a shot. It is really simple. You just see who they have taken for the 1st 14 teams and then make your Steeler pick from whoever is left and of course who is then your #1 pick from your own big board. Sometimes the pick they make is yours too so all is good. For example in walter's mock the following players were taken.

Clowney--Bortles--Mack--Watkins--Carr--Bridgewater--Mack--Matthews--Ebron--Evans--Barr--Lewan--Donald--Clinton-Dix #15 Well, ??? You are the GM who do the Steelers take?--- Then of course the next 31 go and #46 comes up.

This mock was by a guy named Charlie and not walter's btw. Anyhow would you believe at #15 he took your guy Justin Gilbert but if you had another player ranked higher that dropped you have that option to take any one.

I did not go any further but if the #1 guy on your board is gone then you are confronted with the same circumstance as Colbert. That is what I like about this game?? You are forced to make a decision.

Now, a final question. Is this the same way that fanspeak thing works?

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The fanspeak simulator runs pick by pick. When it starts, you watch each team make its pick one by one until your pick arrives. If you pay $5 for the premium edition, which is well worth it, you can pause the simulator and make trade offers to move up if there's someone you want. When your pick arrives, you can make offers to trade down. It's an active simulation that you're in the middle of, and it can get nerve wracking in a fun sort of way when you are hoping for a certain player to fall to your spot, and you are watching the other picks tick by 1 by 1. So, the answer is yes you are confronted with a real-time simulation of the decisions and surprises that a GM would see live during he draft. The basic (non-premium) simulator works that way, but without trades, pausing, etc, and possibly without the Walter and Optimum scouting boards. I only did the basic draft once before opting to buy the premium one, so I am not 100% sure what it can and can't do, but it definitely did the real-time simulation. I'm not sure where you went on the site, but it does not sound like you found the actual simulator. I will say that using the premium simulator is a blast, and I've gotten my $5 worth of entertainment a dozen times over. In fact, I just finished my first of a few Easter morning mocks, and played with the hypothetical trade scenario that was posted regarding the 49ers. It came out pretty good.

12. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014

OK. I get how the premium simulator worked. It would simulate an actual draft since you would not know who was available until your turn to pick came. So I guess you would have to have a few options prepared. How much time did it give you to make your selection?

walterfootball.com has its latest 5 mock posted as of 4/16. This will probably be updated sometime this week. Now since it says you can use the picks of walterfootball then the next time you play your pick at 15, it should come after these players are taken. These are the latest picks from that site. It should be the same as on the simulator.

Clowney--Mack--Bortles--Carr--Watkins--Robinson--Manziel--Evans--Jake Matthews--Barr--Gilbert--Donald--Roby--Clinton-Dix #15 It seems CB's were highly valued this time and Gilbert was gone. Who was next on your big board and/or maybe you had a player even more highly valued that slipped?

I don't know who was taken at 15 but the last time I saw a version of this draft many fans actually took Taylor Lewan the OT. This surprised me at first until I gave it some thought. Quite a few took the TE Ebron and then players like Fuller got several hits. Surprisingly, CJ Mosely and Dennard only were taken once or maybe twice. A few others got a shot here and there.

Okay I looked at 15 Pit took Ebron and at 16 Dallas took Lewan. It is starting to look like these same 17-20 players are in every mock now. I really dislike fooling around with these early rounds. It seems to me that is more fun and challenging to find players in the later rounds that prove to be solid NFL players. But I suppose they do have to take someone in rds 1 and 2.

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    My second run, this time with walterfootball's big board.

15. CB - Justin Gilbert
    46. ILB - C.J. Mosley
    97. WR - Donte Moncrief
    118. OLB - Marcus Smith
    157. CB - Phillip Gaines
    173. OL - Michael Schofield
    192. WR - Devin Street
    215. NT - Ryan Carrethers
    230. S - Brock Vereen

Yeah, I'd be happy with that. Just a little. Gilbert? Yes. Mosley in the 2nd? Yes please. Two tall and fast WRs, two CBs, two steals at LB, a decent OL and decent DL, and a safety prospect (which isn't a position I wanted, but seemed like the best value). I just missed out on Fiedorowicz in the 5th, which would have made it perfect.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    To me, this is probably the best looking mock I've seen (mock or simulated). IDK if we go with 2 WR's (and I really am not that into Street), I'd take a RB there instead. But damn... if this was our haul come May I'd be STOKED!

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I had my eyes peeled for a RB, but the only time they really presented themselves they were sort of the big, plodding type that I wasn't really looking for. I wasn't dying for a second receiver but I thought Street had the best value (it was the 6th).

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I have had similar results with the Walter big board. Their rankings definitely favor us filling needs with solid players. I'd love to see the draft above, or any of the half dozen or so permutations that I have done using the Walter board, but I don't see things falling our way every round quite that way.

17. Kevin James

Feb 11, 2012
    These are my favorite three. Think I am going to fork over $5 and do some with trades.

--------------------------------

DL would be set for awhile.

15.. CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
    46.. DE RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
    97.. DE STEPHON TUITT
    118. RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    157. NT SHAMAR STEPHEN
    173. ILB MAX BULLOUGH
    192. TE CROCKETT GILMORE
    215. OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
    230. WR L'DAMIAN WASHINGTON

----------------------------

15.. CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    46.. WR KELVIN BENJAMIN
    97.. DT DAQUAN JONES
    118. RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    157. WR BRANDON COLEMAN
    173. CB PHILLIP GAINES
    192. OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
    215. OT MATT PATCHAN
    230. ILB MAX BULLOUGH

---------------------------------------

15.. CB JUSTIN GILBERT
    46.. OLB RYAN SHAZIER
    97.. DE STEPHON TUITT
    118. RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
    157. ILB MAX BULLOUGH
    173. NT ZACH KERR
    192. OT SEANTREL HENDERSON
    215. TE CROCKETT GILMORE
    230. WR L'DAMIAN WASHINGTON

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Not the strategy I had going in, but as Kevin Colbert would say "Let the draft come to you." I think we are set at the CB for a while. Some good depth picks spread around.

#15 - WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    #46 - ILB CJ Mosley, Alabama
    #97 - CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood
    #118 - CB Ross Cockrell, Duke
    #157 - TE Crockett Gilmore, Colorado St
    #173 - CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    #192 - OT Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt
    #215 - DL Jay Bromley, Syracuse
    #230 - OLB Howard Jones, Shepherd

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here's one that I just did without trades using the Fanspeak big board. I could definitely live with this one.
    15 OLB Jeremiah Attaochu Georgia Tech
    46 OT Cyrus Kouandjio Alabama
    97 DT Daquan Jones Penn State
    118 WR Cody Latimer Indiana
    157 CB Terrance Mitchell Oregon
    173 CB Dontae Johnson North Carolina State
    192 G Wesley Johnson Vanderbilt
    215 RB Tyler Gaffney Stanford
    230 WR Kevin Norwood Alabama

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I did this one with optimum.

1.darqueze dennard CB mich.st.
    2.martavis Bryant WR clem
    3.phillip gaines CB rice
    4.bishop sankey RB wash
    5.greg blair ILB cinci
    5.wesley Johnson OT/OG/C vandy
    6.michael schofield OT mich
    6.shaquil barrett OLB col.st.
    7.calvin Barnett DT okla.st.

:cool:

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The Fanspeak simulator replaced the optimum scouting board with the Draft TV board. I just ran this one. I made a few deals to move around, and this is what I came up with. I don’t know if it’s realistic, but I like it.

26 CB BRADLEY ROBY OHIO STATE
    35 DE MARCUS SMITH LOUISVILLE (OLB for us)
    71 OT JAWUAN JAMES TENNESSEE
    97 WR CODY LATIMER INDIANA
    107 DT DAQUAN JONES PENN STATE
    157 CB EJ GAINES MISSOURI
    173 ILB MAX BULLOUGH MICHIGAN STATE
    215 RB LORENZO TALIAFERRO COASTAL CAROLINA
    230 CB ROSS COCKRELL DUKE

22. Kevin James

Feb 11, 2012
    I like the last 5 pick Elvis. Being a Buckeye fan from Ohio, I do not like Roby, but the homer in me wouldn't be too mad.

The 2 new big boards seem a little crazy. Here is one of each from the 2 new ones.

Draft TV

CB JUSTIN GILBERT -----
    Donald was there and was hard to pass, but I feel we would get more use out of Gilbert.
    OKLAHOMA STATE

TE ERIC EBRON
    ----- Ebron is the 2nd is crazy.
    NORTH CAROLINA

RB CARLOS HYDE
    ----- Didn't want a RB this early, but couldn't pass on the best RB at #97.
    OHIO STATE

DT DAQUAN JONES
    ----- Only wish he was there in the 4th. Would play NT.
    PENN STATE

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
    ----- About where I wanted him.
    MICHIGAN STATE

S BROCK VEREEN -----
    Not gonna last this long.
    MINNESOTA

RB DRI ARCHER
    ----- Would be perfect switch of pace back and slot WR.
    KENT STATE

OT MATT PATCHAN
    ----- Decent Value.
    BOSTON COLLEGE

CB ROSS COCKRELL
    ----- Wow. Not gonna happen.
    DUKE

Our Lads Board

TE EBRON, ERIC
    ----- Was either him or Dennard and I am now not so sure about him.
    NORTH CAROLINA

DE FORD, DEE
    ----- Great value. Would play OLB.
    AUBURN

DT JONES, DAQUAN
    ----- About where I have him going. Would play NT.
    PENN STATE

CB JEAN-BAPTISTE, STANLEY
    -----I hear the skeptics, but can't pass on him in the 4th.
    NEBRASKA

WR COLEMAN, BRANDON
    ----- 6'6 WR with decent speed.
    RUTGERS

RB ARCHER, DRI
    ----- Would be happy with him at 5B.
    KENT STATE

DE LYNCH, AARON
    -----I think he could play 3-4 DE
    SOUTH FLORIDA

OT BRITT, JUSTIN
    ----- Need some depth for sure.
    MISSOURI

WR BRYANT, MARTAVIS
    ----- LoL. Already have a WR, but come on, in the 7th?
    CLEMSON

23. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Did one with the Walter board, here's what I came up with. I don't think I'd be too upset with this outcome

WR MIKE EVANS
    TEXAS A&M

DE DEE FORD
    AUBURN

RB BISHOP SANKEY
    WASHINGTON

ILB SHAYNE SKOV
    STANFORD

CB CHRIS DAVIS
    AUBURN

CB WALT AIKENS
    LIBERTY

TE JACOB PEDERSEN
    WISCONSIN

OLB DEVON KENNARD
    USC

S DEZ SOUTHWARD
    WISCONSIN

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1. kyle fuller cb
    2.kyle van noy OLB
    3.martavis Bryant WR
    4.c.j.fiedorowicz TE
    5.caraun reid DT
    5.wesley Johnson T/G/C
    6.antone exum CB/S
    6.kevin pierre-Louis ILB
    7.donald Hawkins OT

I did this one with ourlads. I'd take that one every time. LOL:lolol::thumbs_up::cool:

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Just wanted to post this one. When pick #15 came up, Manziel was still available so I traded down with Houston at #33 and picked up the 1st picks in rounds 3+4 and a future pick. I then traded that future pick to get back into the early 3rd.

WR MARQISE LEE
    USC

CB BRADLEY ROBY
    OHIO STATE

DE MARCUS SMITH
    LOUISVILLE (OLB for us)

OT JA’WUAN JAMES
    TENNESSEE

CB E.J. GAINES
    MISSOURI

TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ
    IOWA