1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pouncey to get contract extension?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 7, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    According to Scott Brown of ESPN he covers the AFC North he said it's possible to happen this summer.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    When Woodley's cap space becomes available, extending both Pouncey and Cortez Allen become a real possibility.

I am against extending Pouncey because I do not see the value of what he brings to the table equal his likely salary. I do really, really, really want this organization to lock up Cortez Allen. The cap room is finally available to avoid the situations we've run into with Keenan Allen and Jason Worilds.

Make it a win-win contract like 5-years, $27 million w/ $10 million the first year. Cortez gets some much needed security but we get a starting caliber CB with talent and size locked up until he is 30 years old.

It would not shock me though that the Steelers don't do what I suggest and overpay Pouncey and watch Allen become a real commodity this season.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I also wouldn't wait long to lock up heyward.:cool:

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    heiward and allen are my top prority then if pouncey wants too much i would wait and see velasco rehab

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't think you liked the Bey ?

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Heyward would be my #1 priority this offseason. Technically we can exercise the option on his 5th year (if that deadline hasn't passed yet), but I'd prefer to lock in a long term deal. We are flat out thin on the D line, and he's the clear up and coming player in that group IMO.

Allen would be my #2 priority, but I'm not 100% sure that he's going to be a solid starter for the next 5 years. He has shown some nice flashes, but he has also had his down moments as well. I think that Del's suggested deal terms are in the ballpark of reasonableness when considering his potential, but lack of proven long-run performance.

I am not a fan of extending Pouncey at a price that is anywhere near what recent top tier centers have gotten. My reason is simply that I don't think he's a top tier center. I think he's a solid starting center who has been overrated by the media for whatever reason(s) the media overrates certain players and underrates others.

I haven't mentioned Worilds because anything that we do on a long-term basis should improve out 2014 cap situation, so it is not in any way dependent on Woodley's dollars freeing up.

Unfortunately I think perceptions may play a role in our decision making on extensions and we do the following: 1) an overpriced extension of Worilds because we have been backed into a corner by him signing his tag; and 2) an overpriced extension of Pouncey to demonstrate that we are retaining a mid 1st round pick who is perceived by the media as a top 2 or 3 player at his position. The media doesn't know Heyward or Allen as well as Pouncey.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    where did you get that idea?:cool:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree that tez allen isn't a high priority at this point. he has yet to really step up or put in a full season. If he steps it up, i would place him and heyward above pouncey's re-signing. I'd also play some wait and see on worilds too.:cool:

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Pouncey should be traded now IMO
    I hope we do not extend him
    he's gonna want more because he thinks he is worth it butt he is not

and further more when the trial starts for AARON it will not be good for either Pounceys

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Heyward-Bey....You get it DHB contract extension...lol

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    May 3rd is the deadline.

13. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm sure we will exercise the option on Heyward. And I don't think it's so big a price that it's not appropriate to work a deal around it NEXT off-season. It's different than Worilds because I don't think the price will change/effect the negotiating table much.

Pouncey is a big, big question mark to me. His play at center has leveled off since his best season in 2010. He's had unfortunate injuries. I think there are character issues by association. I also think he is very intent on being a top-5 paid center. How the situation with Alex Mack plays out is very interesting because we could (theoretically) do the same thing next that Cleveland is doing with Mack. That's another transition tag situation which I don't like but the Steelers have shown to like that type of modus operendi.

I wouldn't touch Pouncey. Let him prove to me he can stay healthy and perform at a top-5 level at the position this season before I pay him that. I'm not comfortable saying that now.

Maybe I'm higher on Cortez Allen than most, but he's had twice the snap counts at both Worilds and Allen at this stage and I think the film shows he's a valuable member of the secondary with his arrow pointing up. I don't want to get into losing him to the highest bidder next year.

Obviously if we get a 1st round corner that might change my mind, but not much. Taylor's on year-to-year contracts now and Gay is still William Gay. You get Allen under contract cheap and a 1st round rookie and you have your corner position locked up inexpensively from 2015-2019.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Lock up Cam Heyward ASAP. I'm sold. Get him now before his price goes even higher.

I agree we should lock up Cortez, too. I'm not worried about his bad start last year. He's still getting better and we'd fall to pieces without him.

I don't think Pouncey is as overrated as so many others do. I would love to keep him long-term. But now there's a serious injury to consider, plus the fact that we survived just fine without him last year - the drop-off was way less than I expected. To me the issue is, top 5 center or not, and even if he's the best center in the league... that doesn't mean it's worth the money. Not when we're strapped for cash. I hate to say it, but it's probably best we part ways, for financial reasons.

A trade would be great, but I don't see us getting anything decent for a guy coming off an injury like that.

15. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

I'm sold on Cam as well, and you know his stock is continually rising. We'd be foolish to let him get away.

Cortez is coming along fine imo and right now he's the best we have. If anything it would add some piece of mind knowing we have someone decent locked up at the CB spot.

You bring up a good point about Pouncey last season. We struggled early on but we seemed to come together nicely towards the end of the season and it didn't appear at all to me that we really missed him. I think he's a great player but I don't think we need to shell out a ton of money to keep him around. I'm a bit torn on this one but i'm leaning towards parting ways.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh jeeez :facepalm::lolol::cool:

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can control Heyward for 2 more years until after the 2015 season if they want to I don't see him going anywhere he's their best D-lineman. I wouldn't sign Allen to a extension just yet he needs to prove himself this season. Allen needs to stay healthy and keep his starting job first.

18. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Like with Lewis?

19. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    What some are suggesting with Allen sounds a lot like what we did with Lewis. I think Allen has shown enough so far to merit a new deal. As for Pouncey I am much more interested in what Munchak thinks of him than either the media or the fans.

20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I also get the impression that Pouncey is after money, first and foremost. Couple that with being a known associate of a guy up on 2 murder charges, and I just don't think he's worth it. His injury history, no matter what the circumstances around it, make me view him as a mid level free agent. If he wants anything close to top ten money, I think they should let him walk. I really don't think the line missed a step with Velasco then Wallace last year.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Heyward will have to be priority one, but we have the 5th year option so an extension can wait. I don't see us letting him get away anyways, he has turned out to be a pretty darn good DE and will only get better. I'd also like to see Allen get locked up too, just to add some stability to the position. He will at least be a pretty good 2nd corner for us, and he seems to have some upside to get better. We can keep Gay in the nickel. Hopefully we get either Dennard or Gilbert to play the 1 (not right away of course) and we will have a solid group of CB's for a while.

As for Pouncey, I don't see why so many are down on him. The injuries give me the most concern, not his level of play. He is definitely a top tier center, and will very likely be paid like one. Idk if it will be by us or by someone else though. I really think if he plays the full 16 game schedule this year that we ink him to a deal. If not, I wouldn't mind letting him test the market and go from there.

22. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Which then makes sense to give him a season first before tying up a lot of money into him.

Unlike the unproven Worilds, if Pouncey does act like a top-5 center this year for Munchak, then giving him a $9.75 million transition tag (just like Cleveland with Mack) is a "proper" type of lump sum 1-year salary to work a 5-year deal around at the negotiating table.

Hell, I'd almost rather see if Mack hits free agency next season and offer him the money we have pegged for Pouncey.

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I don't see pounce as the negotiating type

we can always bring in Russell Bodine late rds this year;)

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't he jethro's cousin?:smiley1::cool:

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Pouncey will demand an over salary, you can count on that. I've always thought him to better suited at guard but still wouldn't pay what he believes he'll want because of the hype or over hype etc...

never really cared for him and to be honest... Legursky, Velasco, Wallace have all shown me over the past few years that he's expendable.

heyward needs to be shored up this year or next and I'd say Allen as well, although I'd like to see what's happening with him this season but then again that's cutting it close time wise... But we'll have more cash to play with this time next year.

as far as Worilds goes, never been high on him either but maybe he's legit? Just don't want another high stakes risk taken on a flash in the pan with injury issues.

some of these futuristic signings will tell a lot as to if the org has learned from history or not.