1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace on the block

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes being shopped at the owners meeting :lolol:

I know this will brighten Jacks day at least!

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Nobody is going to take on that contract. Nobody. You made your bed, Miami...

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, we warned them! We all said it, crazy contract, tsk.

4. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Agree

5 yr. 60 mil. blunder in Miami..they might as well forget a trade, their stuck with mikey.:lolol:

Tossing him another 14 mil this yr. :facepalm:

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. Almost everyone on this site knew that he would never live up to that contract. It's amazing that sometimes the fans know more than a GM.

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'd love for this to be true, but I need more than Jason LaCanfora as a source.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know, right. They fall in love with his speed, think it will cure all and they ignore the rest.

8. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    good luck on that-

Cajun

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I almost feel guilty for feeling this way, but this is GRATIFICATION to the max for me!!! The fact that the Fins want to trade him after only one season speaks volumes about the kind of person, player, teammate that Mike Wallace is! The Steelers were 100% correct in letting him walk!

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The vikings I believe offered wallace slightly more, so they may be willing to bite.... and there's always the speed enamored raiders

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I was glad to see him go, and I'm not a bit surprised by this news. I don't wish anything bad to befall anyone, but he completely brought it on himself with his lack of effort, and whining about how he couldn't concentrate because the ball was going to other receivers and he wasn't ready when it came his way.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I doubt it. His stock is down considerably compared to this time last year.

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    There were more than a few on this site who thought he was the next Jerry Rice. You know who you are.

15. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    I don't mind admitting it-this makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Not as warm and not as fuzzy as if Timmons would have put Wallace to sleep but still warm and pretty fuzzy.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Wallace has brought this on himself! What's really bad about it is that he had one of the most selfless, hardworking guys and one of the best teammates to ever put on an NFL uniform to model himself after in Hines Ward and he chose to be one of the most selfish, arrogant, lazy and pathetic excuses for a football player and teammate that I can remember in a long time!

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

having a great role model doesn't mean you'll emulate him.......... remember..... T.O. had jerry rice to show him the ropes

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: I was arguably Wallace's biggest defender here, and I thought Miami was absolutely out of their minds. He's worth big money IF you have a QB that can throw an accurate deep ball and IF you go deep often. Then he could be an 18 TD, 20 ypc kind of guy. That wasn't going to happen here in Pittsburgh with Ben and Haley, and I don't know why they thought an unproven 2nd year guy without any other pieces would be any better. He'd be worth a good $40 million in Green Bay or New England or Baltimore and probably a few other places, but I wouldn't go up to $60M unless I had ALL the other pieces in play AND half of that money was in incentives. I don't buy into the "he's average or below average in every aspect except speed" nonsense; I think he's got a lot of good qualities as a player. But even if you thought he was good at every aspect, "good" is a long way from $60 million. Idiots.

It really is too bad SF didn't take him off our hands for a 1st round pick. They got AJ Jenkins instead. Would have worked out much better for all of us if they'd signed him.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What is he above average in, Snack? Serious question. When I think of the qualities of a receiver I think of speed, the ability to pick up yardage after the catch, route running ability, the ability to make contested catches, the ability to adjust to the ball, hands and I'm sure I'm missing some. When I look at the preceding qualities I see Wallace as well above average with regard to speed but average to below average in the other categories. I suppose he may be slightly above average in YAC in some situations where his speed can be utilized (quick slants, etc.) but when it comes to being an instinctive runner with good vision and elusiveness like AB he comes up short. I'd be interested in having you elaborate a little on some of Wallace's qualities besides speed that he's above average in. :shrug:

Just like old times, huh, Snack? ;)

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    TOO much like old times. I don't feel like re-hashing for very long, but what the hell.

(I don't think I saw a single Miami game last season except for the one against us so I'm really just talking about his first 4 years) I think his running ability is absolutely above average. He did great with the ball in his hands while he was here. Not as great as AB, but that's got nothing to do with what's average. It's an unfair measuring stick because AB is one of the premier YAC and return men in the NFL. I thought Wallace's vision and shiftiness and moves (and speed) were all good. And his hands were above average too, for the first three years. It's no secret that once he knew his big contract was earned he slacked off - his new mission became to stay healthy enough until he could ink a $60 million deal, which is what happened. He stopped focusing and competing like he should have been. Now that he has the money and is on a non-competitive team, even less reason. I never really studied his route running (that's really hard to do since they usually aren't shown on TV), but how good did he really have to be? He's either getting 10 yard cushions and is wide open without running much of a route at all, or blowing by guys and getting open anyway. The point of running routes is to get open, and he gets open much better than the average receiver. Even in his last, half-assed year here, he was still torching guys. But Haley gave him very few chances, and when he got them Ben just couldn't get him a decent ball, and Mike was unable/unwilling to Calvin Johnson it over the DBs who were in better position.