1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

True Detective?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by strummerfan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Is anyone else watching this amazing show?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely amazing show. MM is just killing it. Woody's good, but this show is all McConaughey as Rust. Gets better every week.

Just a shame we only have 3 episodes left. Then again, at the rate of crazy it's going, it'll be insane by the last episode.

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It's almost as if MM is playing two different characters between the flashbacks and present. He's doing an outstanding job.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I disagree. I think he's playing the EXACT same character. If you're buying into the whole run down, alcoholic, burned out, fried out drifter in the present... then you're getting the same wool pulled over your eyes as he's pulling over those 2 detectives. He's the king of deep cover. It's an act. ;)

My only real question at this point is if Marty is still working with him, or at least knows what Rust is really up to.

Of all the present day characters, the 2 "working detectives" are the ones I trust least. ;)

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Oh God YES!
    lovin every minute of it.
    missed this weekends can't wait to catch it.
    I have a total of 12 hrs at the house before I head to Daytona most definite i'll fit it in my sched.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It won't tell you who is guilty on the show, nor even necessarily what - exactly - is going on. But here's a little light reading to further "expand" your views on some of the references made throughout the series. The Yellow King isn't some throwaway name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

The question is: do these stories exist in the show's universe and we have some cult taking them seriously? Or, is the writer of the show using these stories and references seriously. Would be odd for a gritty "true crime" type drama to drift into the supernatural, but who knows?

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought it started off slow but the last 2 weeks have been real good.

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Good ending. But they left a lot of loose ends. I think that was intentional though, so I'll let it go. Not a criticism this time. It makes the story even creepier to see just how far that conspiracy must have went... and they couldn't get them. They had to settle for one "serial killer."

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    First glimpse at the new season of True Detective. I'm not sure what the premise is this year, only that the setting is LA (the city this time). But the teaser looks promising.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'd watch Rachel McAdams read the phone book. ;)

[video=youtube;4OfU7CGY5DQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I'm not thrilled with the casting of Vaughn. Maybe McAdams' presence is enough to distract us from his presence.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm going to have to assume that this cast will seem perfect after a few episodes. Right now, I'm scratching my head a little. The first season was so amazing, I can't imagine this one coming close.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've heard this show is really awesome but I know it's on HBO and the only way I get to watch HBO is when my buddy has it and gives me his password so I can get HBOGO but I'm curious about the content in the show. Is there a lot of nudity and language and things like that? I've tried to watch Boardwalk Empire and the Soprano's but they are entirely to dirty for me. I've heard Game of Thrones is really dirty as well and so I was just curious if this show was as bad as that. I know a lot of people say it's the best show on tv but I would give that title to Hannibal and it's hard for me to imagine this show being better than that show but when people say it is I get intrigued.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    This would likely be too much for you, my friend.

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Language alone would be too much. And yes. There's nudity. Some of it not even in a good way (crime scene).

If they ever air an edited version like A&E did for the Sopranos, it might be worth a look for BFT.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Funny. I'm ok with Vaughn. It's Farrell that gives me pause.

Then again, once in a while, he does a role I love. But when he doesn't...

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

To me VV is a lot like Cusack in that they play the same character with the same mannerism over and over again. It's not that they're necessarily bad actors there just doesn't seem to be much depth with them. I honestly haven't seen enough of Farrell to make a decision on him. I think minority report and phone booth are the only two films I've watched with him involved.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Exactly the same for me.

As a bonus, it's nice to see VV not looking like he was just pulled out of the bottom of the river by search and rescue after being missing for 3 weeks.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's an interesting comparison. I'm not sure I agree with it, but that's a good point about VV. He's got 2 or 3 characters that he dusts off depending on the role.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok. I appreciate the heads up because I've really thought about watching it. HBO generally seems to be really no holds barred. I couldn't believe what I saw on the first ep of Boardwalk Empire. That was the only ep I ever watched. I know it was Scorcese at first but it was hardcore even for him.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson basically play shades of the same guy for almost every role too. That's not necessarily a bad thing (not that I'm putting Vaughn anywhere near their league).

Only real exception for Jack that I can recall was a movie he did a ways back called "The Pledge." Excellent movie, and he didn't go all typical Jack for a change. Only role I remember where he was really, really vulnerable.

But you're right about Vaughn. I just don't see it as a major issue. Funny thing. I don't know how many dozens of times I had seen Rudy until I realized VV was in it. :lolol: Then one time, I'm watching and we get the scene of "He's just a showboat, man! That's all he's about!" <tilt eyes, strut backward tongue in lip> and I went, "OMG!!! Vince Vaughn!" LOL. didn't even recognize him.

[video=youtube;itBo0lXqAbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itBo0lXqAbc[/video]

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Any thoughts on season 2 yet?

A lot of characters to introduce made for a kind of slower and dull first episode. But I'm pleasantly surprised with Colin Farrell. He's always hit or miss for me. He's hitting pretty hard on this show. (No pun intended... ah, forget it. Pun intended.)

Well, that's one way to deal with a bully. :eek:

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It was slower going than I hoped, but like you said, there was a lot of character introduction/development. As someone who dislikes Colin Farrell, I was pleasantly surprised.

David Morse as a hippy guru was a pleasant surprise, too.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't pay close attention but, this show makes me think of L.A. Confidential. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the next episode.

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    "If you bully another kid I'm going to eff your father with your mother's headless corpse in the front yard".I'm pretty sure that kid wet himself after that.