1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think should happen to Tomlin and the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pellynch14, Dec 4, 2013.

1. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    So on my local ESPN radio today the guy was talking about our situation and what he felt. He said he would understand if they took a late 4 round and beyond draft pick from us and then went on to explain his thoughts. He then opened up the phone lines for discussion on the topic and I was in shock when the first 5 calls all agreed we should loose a pick and how some even thought we should loose our 1st pick (haters be hatting). So I called in and got through to stick up for our team. Here is what I told him I thought as a Steelers fan.

I told him I fully think Tomlin new what he was doing and that I had no problem with fine. If they wanted to fine him more I would understand. I am glad that they did not fine the team as it was done by one man and one man only. I told him that I fully thought that taking a draft pick was egregious and asinine. I went on to say that is is wrong to punish the whole team for the actions of one person. I told him that if the NFL truly believes that Tomlin's play hinder a TD being scored then they should suspended him for either a game or the rest of the season. If they were to do that it would mean more to team and the coach then taking away a draft pick. I also think it would weigh more with the rest of the league also.

Well he went on to agree with some and disagree with some of my thoughts but he did like my idea and even made my phone call the call of the day. So with all that said what do you think should happen?

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think the discipline should be aimed more toward Tomlin than the Steelers. Losing a draft pick is just wrong, but instead of people going off on Goodell, how about pointing blame where it should be. Tomlin is the one who put himself and the team in this situation and everyone is going off on Goodell?

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think the NFL is going too far just by leaving the punishment open-ended, let alone threatening to take or modify a future draft pick. Anyone who thinks that would be a just punishment has a hidden agenda IMO.

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the fine is appropriate and I think even a one game suspension might be as well but to take a draft pick away from them would be ridiculous. I've never bought into the whole "Goodell hates the Steelers" conspiracy theories but if he didn't take a pick away form the Jets after what Alosi did and he takes one from the Steelers for this, I might change my tune.

SG - I'm not blaming Goodell, I just want to see some consistency. Plain and simple.

5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Fine Tomlin and leave it that.

Scott that's the thing with Goodell...he's all over the place with punishments. They way it's handled, it can't help but look biased.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No way they should take a pick for this. I don't at all like that they're leaving the pick undecided at this time.
    One thing for sure this ought to get rid of the people wanting to lose out to get a better draft position.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Man wouldn't that show that a$$bag Goodell up if we were to somehow end up with the 32nd pick in the draft! And you know what I mean by that. How sweet would it be??!

8. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I was ok with the fine, and a 1-game suspension would have been ok with me.

That was before I re-listened to Tomlin's entire presser; now I want him gone, and the sooner the better. Luckily for him, that decision rests with owners and not me.

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I understand how some people can think it is a conspiracy but I still don't buy it.

I'll give Goodell one thing. It seems like he has pretty consistent with his $15,750 fines this season for a lot of first offenses. I guess that's what happens when give out fines like candy at Halloween.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm on the fence. It's just so damn idiotic! They build it up to a frenzy with leaks and sources, then come out with a "hold it over your head until the end of the season" decision? This is the kind of stuff that gets Senators thinking about blowing away the Anti-trust exemption status. These guys are very influential in getting stadiums built with public funding.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thought the fine was excessive but knew it would be, its the Steelers after all. Shouldn't have been anymore then 50,000 IMO.

The talk about losing a draft pick is totally asinine.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd support giving up two second round draft picks, Gilbert and Adams. Would that be fair?

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Mistakes happen, Goodell has had an ax to grind for a while now, you should know this.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you know TTF, I've been thinking about this theory. is this somehow leaving the door open to the rooney's and what they decide?

is the league waiting until the season is over (hence the setting of the draft picks) wanting to see if the rooney's fire him or not? if they do the league won't take a draft pick. if they don't we will lose one.

is the rooney rule somehow tied into saving face somehow letting them fire him after the season. I'm really not sure how all this could be tied together, but just something that crossed my mind with the way it's been left open until the draft is set.:cool:

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Blame the man that caused this whole damn problem to begin with. Anything Goodell does is the fault of Tomlin. He knew damn well what he was doing when he did it. If we lose a pick, it's 100% Tomlin's fault and I fully blame him, not anyone else.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fact is, you don't know that and he's already been fined 100,000.

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't give a crap if he was fined $100 million. I do care when his BS affects the Steelers. There's no doubt in my mind he did it intentionally. You can clearly see him standing on the side of the field as Jones has already caught the ball. Once Jones breaks up the sideline, Tomlin takes 1 step towards the field and stands there until Jones gets close, then he quickly steps out in front of him before jumping back. He knew what he was doing.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah and I can break down how he didn't know what he was doing. bottom line is you don't know for a fact.

19. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i dont have as much of a problem with what tomlin did as much as i did that s**t eatin grin of his after he did it ... id fine him 10k for the infraction and 90k for his lack of remorse.. had one of the players done that he would have cut them on the spot .. and he laughs about it .. i see we still have a double standard on the team..

HINES

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I really thought that after the press conference, in which Tomlin answered questions about the incident for over 20 minutes and came across as genuine and transparent, most people would back off of their contentions that Tomlin did this on purpose. I really DO NOT believe that any sane and rational human being with an ounce of horse sense would have intentionally done something so egregious in front of 70,000 fans and tens of millions of viewers worldwide. Say what you will about Tomlin, and I've said a lot about his coaching methodologies, but he's done nothing to convince me that he's capable of such a boneheaded and devious act. He strikes me as a very deliberate and thoughtful person, just the kind of person that WOULD NOT do such a foolhardy thing as this, knowing the ramifications and repercussions of his behavior.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ah yes, the grin. I interpreted that a totally different way. I thought it looked like he was embarrassed by what had just happened and that was why he grinned the way he did. Haven't you ever known anybody that, when embarrassed, would grin like that? I have. I think that's all it was. People react differently to embarrassing situations. Some people grin. People are making too much out of "gringate". :smiley1::facepalm:

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    There's a ton of intelligent, thoughtful people in prison who made 1 mistake. I see it every day I go to work. Jail isn't necessarily full of gangbangers and pedophiles.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Goodell can have those!

:this!: Even Harbaugh said he doesn't believe he did it on purpose!

24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    But I'd guess that most of those people got caught doing something they were actually trying to conceal. Hard for Tomlin to conceal what he was allegedly trying to intentionally do in front of countless millions worldwide. He'd have to be insane to think he could get by with that.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is so cool and so smooth there isn't a effing chance he'd intentionally make a fool out of himself on national TV, NFW.