Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85
  1. #26

    Sign in to hide this ad

    Quote Originally Posted by freakfontana View Post
    a lot depends on the value offered in the trade and what they think about some of the qb in the draft ,
    I wouldn't trade him. i'd take the new qb, add him to the other solid one we have as a draft pick and teach them behind the one we have under contract for two more years. then we can make a decision. by then we should have a few more pieces in place, we will know a lot more about our 2nd and 3rd qb's as well. we still need 3. if they are better than grad, good for us. that shouldn't be hard to find. I doubt carr will be there in the 2nd, but if McCarron is sitting there, you bet your bottom dollar I would snatch him, dump grad and move on.

    everone wants to keep ben and have a team wide quick fix put around him. well good luck with that. if you think we can add just one or two parts and become a championship caliber team again with him, well good luck with that too.

    we are weak, our depth is weak and he's not enough to offset this in a couple of years. by the time we can build that team, he will have cost other up and coming players a shot at their money.

    will he be good enough still at that time? will a young guy have shown enough upside for us to keep the rebuild going be enough? at least we would have a glimps if we pick one. at least the picture should be clearer of whether we pay him at that point. why do anything right now but make a good draft pick?

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers5859 View Post
    I don't think anyone is that naive enough to think that finding Ben's replacement will be easy. But they do have to do their due dillegence in finding a successor. Tying up a lot off money in a quarterback can have affects on the rest of your team. Look at the Ravens. After signing Flacco they could not keep some players and can not sign many free agents.

    Now look at Seattle. They have a "good" quarterback and has manage building an effective team around him and is not in salary cap crisis to do it. I'm not saying I want Ben to be traded because I remember the Kordell, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham years. But can you imagine if we can find a "good" quarterback and build our team back to where it was before we got Ben?
    The problem with that is that it won't last very long. A couple of years maybe? Russell Wilson only makes 526K this year or 1/3 what Bruce Gradkowski makes to hold Bens clipboard. I will be STUNNED if Wilson doesn't get an extension this offseason.

    Also Andy Dalton makes about 100 grand a year less than Gradkowski and his contract is up in 2015. If he continues like he is going, at the end of next year he will be due a big raise. So finding a QB on the cheap isn't a bad idea, but if/when they are successful, then you will be relegated to trading them and starting the process all over again. It would pretty much be every 3 to 4 years and find new QB IF you find a good ones. If not, well then see the Steelers from 1980-2004 for an idea of how it would go.

  3. #28
    for me is very simple .. if the rooney/colbert thinks there is a good prospect qb available when we pick and there is a team willing to give enough draft picks to buy ben ... than they will take a look at the possibility to trade him , otherwise he will stay ..extended or not
    FREAK (IT)

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack 5958 View Post
    Not saying he should be fired, but why does Tomlin ALWAYS seem to get a pass???
    BC the "Rooney's dont fire coaches".

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    I don't think Ben has anything to do with this, asking for a trade part, Steelers may be looking ahead though because of his contract.
    Absolutely, his contract is a big part of it, as is age and his injury history. I also think the Ben era is going to end earlier than it could due to personal feelings. It's nothing but an assumption on my part, but I believe that Ben isn't well liked in the Steelers organization and hasn't been for quite some time now. Everything about Ben is one big controversy. Every time he opens his mouth it creates a controversy. The way he plays, the alleged lack of preparation throughout his career, the difficulty in coaching him, etc. I believe has shaped a bit of a broken relationship between the Rooneys and Ben.

    Those are just my feelings on the matter. I personally hope they do trade Ben because his career is almost over and I happen to think the rebuilding process will occur much faster with Ben gone.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
    BC the "Rooney's dont fire coaches".
    That's so misleading. It's a stupid thing to say. The Rooney's didn't fire Noll or Cowher because they obviously believed in them to get the job done. If the Rooney's don't believe in a coach to get the job done, they will fire him just as quick as every other franchise in the league. The Rooney's aren't above or against firing coaches, the reality is that Cowher and Noll didn't give them any reason to be fired. Teams have down years, and Noll and Cowher had some as well, but nothing like we're currently seeing right now. This team is a bottom feeder. We're a joke. We're a team filled with undisciplined players who don't seem to give a ****. That was never, ever the case under Cowher because he wouldn't tolerate it.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    That's so misleading. It's a stupid thing to say. The Rooney's didn't fire Noll or Cowher because they obviously believed in them to get the job done. If the Rooney's don't believe in a coach to get the job done, they will fire him just as quick as every other franchise in the league. The Rooney's aren't above or against firing coaches, the reality is that Cowher and Noll didn't give them any reason to be fired. Teams have down years, and Noll and Cowher had some as well, but nothing like we're currently seeing right now. This team is a bottom feeder. We're a joke. We're a team filled with undisciplined players who don't seem to give a ****. That was never, ever the case under Cowher because he wouldn't tolerate it.
    FREAK (IT)

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    Absolutely, his contract is a big part of it, as is age and his injury history. I also think the Ben era is going to end earlier than it could due to personal feelings. It's nothing but an assumption on my part, but I believe that Ben isn't well liked in the Steelers organization and hasn't been for quite some time now. Everything about Ben is one big controversy. Every time he opens his mouth it creates a controversy. The way he plays, the alleged lack of preparation throughout his career, the difficulty in coaching him, etc. I believe has shaped a bit of a broken relationship between the Rooneys and Ben.

    Those are just my feelings on the matter. I personally hope they do trade Ben because his career is almost over and I happen to think the rebuilding process will occur much faster with Ben gone.
    The Rooneys are big on keeping a good image. Ben made them look bad with the 2 female incidents. I think if anyone at that time had the talent that would have come close to Ben's or even buildable, he wouldve been gone. I agree, there maybe some silent disliking of him.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    That's so misleading. It's a stupid thing to say. The Rooney's didn't fire Noll or Cowher because they obviously believed in them to get the job done. If the Rooney's don't believe in a coach to get the job done, they will fire him just as quick as every other franchise in the league. The Rooney's aren't above or against firing coaches, the reality is that Cowher and Noll didn't give them any reason to be fired. Teams have down years, and Noll and Cowher had some as well, but nothing like we're currently seeing right now. This team is a bottom feeder. We're a joke. We're a team filled with undisciplined players who don't seem to give a ****. That was never, ever the case under Cowher because he wouldn't tolerate it.
    That was sarcasm. The comment was about why the media always say things like that. I think Tomlins days are numbered if he doesnt turn things around quick. I had another comment on 'why' but I ll keep it to myself.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
    That was sarcasm. The comment was about why the media always say things like that. I think Tomlins days are numbered if he doesnt turn things around quick. I had another comment on 'why' but I ll keep it to myself.
    Didn't realize it was sarcasm. My apologies. It's no secret I have never liked Tomlin and I expect him to be fired after next season when we suck once again.

  11. #36
    Senior Member CK 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Yardville, NJ
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBiz View Post
    I think if the Steelers do get a discount, it will be in the $18M/yr range. IMO on the open market, he's a $20M/yr guy, no doubt.

    Look at where he is now. Sandwiched between Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutlet. Thats laughable. He's worth at least what Tony Romo is worth.
    http://www.overthecap.com/top-player...hp?Position=QB
    Jay Cutlet. I almost spit out my beer. That's some funny s#@$! Romo. He is a scrub. He will not win a thing, and Jerry World gave him a 6 year contract worth 100 mill. Now that's funny!
    If you like the blues, I think we can... B.B King

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBiz View Post
    I think if the Steelers do get a discount, it will be in the $18M/yr range. IMO on the open market, he's a $20M/yr guy, no doubt.

    Look at where he is now. Sandwiched between Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutlet. Thats laughable. He's worth at least what Tony Romo is worth.
    http://www.overthecap.com/top-player...hp?Position=QB
    but when ben signed for 7 years, it was the biggest at the time. that's why i'd like to draft another qb this year while ben is still playing. we could at least see what we have and not wait until the last minute and end up with a mark sanchez. << by the way that's how you say tony room in Spanish.

    ben has only made 1 full season in his career, i'm sure there will be playing time to evaluate two other qb's in two more years.

  13. #38
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    11,180
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac daddyo View Post
    but when ben signed for 7 years, it was the biggest at the time. that's why i'd like to draft another qb this year while ben is still playing. we could at least see what we have and not wait until the last minute and end up with a mark sanchez. << by the way that's how you say tony room in Spanish.

    ben has only made 1 full season in his career, i'm sure there will be playing time to evaluate two other qb's in two more years.
    IF this team was gonna move on with Ben would you be in favor of basically throwing the rest of the season to get the highest pick possible and then trade Ben for FUTURE first round picks and take a qb in the next draft?
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by blountforcetrauma View Post
    IF this team was gonna move on with Ben would you be in favor of basically throwing the rest of the season to get the highest pick possible and then trade Ben for FUTURE first round picks and take a qb in the next draft?
    Is that you under that hood, Bill ?? LOL
    "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." ... Groucho Marx

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by blountforcetrauma View Post
    IF this team was gonna move on with Ben would you be in favor of basically throwing the rest of the season to get the highest pick possible and then trade Ben for FUTURE first round picks and take a qb in the next draft?
    I've stated several times what i'd like to do. I think it's quite feasible.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    That's so misleading. It's a stupid thing to say. The Rooney's didn't fire Noll or Cowher because they obviously believed in them to get the job done. If the Rooney's don't believe in a coach to get the job done, they will fire him just as quick as every other franchise in the league. The Rooney's aren't above or against firing coaches, the reality is that Cowher and Noll didn't give them any reason to be fired. Teams have down years, and Noll and Cowher had some as well, but nothing like we're currently seeing right now. This team is a bottom feeder. We're a joke. We're a team filled with undisciplined players who don't seem to give a ****. That was never, ever the case under Cowher because he wouldn't tolerate it.
    We're going through exactly what Cowher went through for three years and with a worse record then Tomlin has to date. 98' 7-9 / 99' 6-10 / 2000, 9-7.

    Teams go through transition periods, always have always will and that's what is going on now. We'll come out of it the same will BC did, Tomlin isn't going anywhere, you'll see.
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    We're going through exactly what Cowher went through for three years and with a worse record then Tomlin has to date. 98' 7-9 / 99' 6-10 / 2000, 9-7.

    Teams go through transition periods, always have always will and that's what is going on now. We'll come out of it the same will BC did, Tomlin isn't going anywhere, you'll see.
    You're comparing records only, which doesn't tell the whole story. Do you honestly believe the Chiefs are the best team in football right now just because they're undefeated? There's about 4-5 teams I'd bet on over the Chiefs. Record by itself means very little. How a team plays means far more, and we are a bunch of bumbling idiots this year. We never had a team this bad under Cowher, never! Cowher's teams always came to play and no way would he put up with the type of play we've been getting from this team the last 2 years.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    You're comparing records only, which doesn't tell the whole story. Do you honestly believe the Chiefs are the best team in football right now just because they're undefeated? There's about 4-5 teams I'd bet on over the Chiefs. Record by itself means very little. How a team plays means far more, and we are a bunch of bumbling idiots this year. We never had a team this bad under Cowher, never! Cowher's teams always came to play and no way would he put up with the type of play we've been getting from this team the last 2 years.
    If you say so, they looked plenty bad to me, sounds like a cop out. And yes, I think the Chiefs could be the best team in football and I think they will beat the Broncos, because of something so many undervalue now, defense. I think it's between them and the Seahawks, might even be the SB.
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    If you say so, they looked plenty bad to me, sounds like a cop out. And yes, I think the Chiefs could be the best team in football and I think they will beat the Broncos, because of something so many undervalue now, defense. I think it's between them and the Seahawks, might even be the SB.
    outside the steelers would be my favourite sb combination . and i would'n mind a win by the chiefs
    FREAK (IT)

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfontana View Post
    outside the steelers would be my favourite sb combination . and i would'n mind a win by the chiefs
    "One Last Look at the Way We Were"
    It has been home field to Clemente, Stargell, Bradshaw, and Harris. It has been watched paternally by Murtaugh, Rooney, and Noll. Truly it has seen more sensational moments than the most prolific sports fan. Each of those moments are recorded somewhere deep in its stands where the sounds of elated fans still echo. Soon it will be a memory. But oh what a memory it will be. Salute to the structure known fondly as the "Blast Furnace"

    -Three Rivers Stadium.

  21. #46
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    11,180
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
    Is that you under that hood, Bill ?? LOL
    Yeah that's actually Bill in my avatar! LOL!!!
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  22. #47
    Senior Member blountforcetrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maynardville TN... WAY BACK IN THE STICKS!
    Posts
    11,180
    Twitter
    DuckTalzWooHoo1
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfontana View Post
    outside the steelers would be my favourite sb combination . and i would'n mind a win by the chiefs
    I agree. I was thinking today that it would be cool for the Chiefs to win it because I've always liked them because I remember when Joe Montana went there and Marcus Allen was there too I guess I was about 10 or so. I also wouldn't mind the Seahawks winning it because I like Russell Wilson and I think he's a good role model for kids and would like to see him be successful.
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!!

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersrule6 View Post
    Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tonight said Colbert was at the Clemson vs Georgia Tech game he mentioned Clemson QB Taj Boyd. It doesn't mean anything he could be scouting other players like receiver Sammy Watkins because Sanders is gone after this season. Rapoport is standing by his source that Ben will ask for a trade this offseason because of Haley and Ben's contract status.
    kinda TMZ esque with he assumptions don't ya think? KC could've been watching a number of players, and if you think Boyd is gonna be Bens replacement, or even a possibility than Laundry Jones is the next Montana! Ben is not going anywhere .....

  24. #49
    i hope he was scouting watkins or attaouchu .. no bojd please ..................
    FREAK (IT)

  25. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
    You're comparing records only, which doesn't tell the whole story. Do you honestly believe the Chiefs are the best team in football right now just because they're undefeated? There's about 4-5 teams I'd bet on over the Chiefs. Record by itself means very little. How a team plays means far more, and we are a bunch of bumbling idiots this year. We never had a team this bad under Cowher, never! Cowher's teams always came to play and no way would he put up with the type of play we've been getting from this team the last 2 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •