1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers salary cap problems 2014

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 7, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Under current projections for 2014 seven players Big Ben, Woodley, Brown, Timmons, Miller, Polamalu, and Taylor will count 84 million towards the cap. Which leaves 40 million for the remaining 46 players. In other words we're screwed expect more contract restructures.

2. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Some (perhaps all) you mentioned will be asked to take cuts. Let's see who will use their thumb to point with now. LOL :lolol:

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think big ben and troy will take cuts
    will anyone else?

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is the first I've heard of this.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Why should Ben take a pay cut? I mean look at it from his perspective.

He's still a franchise QB, he's won 2 rings, he leaves his body on the field every week.
    Rightly or wrongly, he probably feels the team left him out to dry during the Milledgeville incident, and they force OCs on him without his input.

Now, you want me to stick around while you rebuilt? Fine, pay up then.

6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    He'll be 33 when his contract is up, let him walk.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ben won't take a pay cut. The best we can hope for is to agree to an extension. Other than an extension a trade is the only other feasible cap relief measure where he's concerned.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :facepalm:
    Yeah, let them get rid of Ben and see just how far they can fall.

9. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Why should Brown take a pay cut? I mean look at it from his perspective.

This is his first year making the "big bucks", now you want him to turn right around agree to a pay cut? Let some the others that have made the big money longer take the cuts in pay.

Jeeze, that was fun, thanks for letting play along too. :thumbsup:

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    troy and ike pay cut or gone , big ben could be extended or restructured , one between woodley or timmons can be trade

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it depends where he is after the 2014 season? at that point maybe we fall with him by then. at this rate bobby he will have been sacked another 110 times, on a 33 year old body. that doesn't bode well for the human body. throwing a lot more money at him won't help his age and healing.

I don't expect they do much before the end of next year with ben. if we are not going to put a championship team around him, what does it matter?:cool:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ike has said he knows he will have to take a pay cut. troy will have to also. I would see what out there as far as Woodley and Timmons trade talks. absolutely.:cool:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    'Tis true essentially. It's been discussed here a few time before. I have us at 41 players under contract for next year and we're already over the likely cap number for 2014. While it's not really as apocalyptic as it seems, there will be some restructures, extensions, renegotiations, and some farewells.

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    While I'm usually not an extreme reactionary I've known for a while 2014 was going to be a year when bills are gonna come due and some very very hard decisions are gonna have to be made. I think we may be on that apocalyptic edge IF our rookies and 1st/2nd don't step up bigtime.

TTF, could you expand on who is under contract or more importantly, who isn't.

Cajun-

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean... just.... seriously dude... sigh....

16. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes this off-season will set the tone for the next couple of years. Will we usher out the remaining core from our SB runs and go complete rebuild or do they try one more run? Personally I think we need to look at the reality that we need to rebuild and trade/cut a lot of our name players. While that will be painful as a fan that might be the only way to get this turned around.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah when I looked at the list I thought Timmons might be the odd man out and I'm fine with that. You think it would be possible to trade Timmons for a solid corner that could help out when Ike is gone and until we find his replacement?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    kyle van noy LOLB. Jarvis jones ROLB. max bullough LILB. vince Williams RILB.

arnfelt DE, mclendon NT, heyward DE.

kyle fuller CB, cortez allen CB. landshark FS, Daniel Sorensen SS.

james hurst LT. DD LG. velasco C. embernate RG. adams RT.

ben

bell RB. will J. FB.

heath TE.

AB WR. wheaton WR.

let's rock.:cool:

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We'd loose every game........................

Cajun-

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I've been hard on Timmons in the past but currently he's playing solid football. If you're fine with Timmons being gone who is he replaced with, Kion Wilson, Williams, Spence? A cheaper UFA LB.

We can't get rid of virtually everyone like Mcdaddys suggestion.

Cajun-

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we are already losing almost every game .. something has to be done

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    aren't we doing that now?:shrug::cool:

23. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Mac's suggestion takes care of half of it, getting rid of Tomlin, Haley, and a few assistants will take care of the other half. Hell this group can even fix our running game like the Rooneys wanted. They've been trying for 2 years and it's worse now than when they started. :lolol:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    who's so valuable? Woodley,timmons would be gone. ziggy is a FA anyway. keisel is a FA, that i'd re-sign for a year and rotate. troy and ike taking paycuts and rotating in. ben's still here. clark is a FA anyway, gone. sanders is a FA, gone. we don't have a starting LT on the team so nobody lost there. gilbert will be in his final year, cut. foster goes to backup. beachum goes to backup. pouncey could fight it out at guard or make a trade. he's only here 1 more anyway coming off major knee injury.

so i'm not really talking of getting rid of a lot. most of them we lose because we can't afford to re-sign and are past their usefulness or just not good fits. where would you cut Cajun? would you leave it as is minus our FA's?:cool:

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It matters because he is the best player on the team. And if you want to make the transition from what the Steelers were into what they are going to be as quickly and as smoothly as possible, you'd be foolish to give away your best player. Right now they don't need a QB, so why create a need? Why make a hole on the team where there isn't one? It makes no sense at all.

The link in the "coach killers" thread makes a good point that the big problem for this team is the defense. IMO the offense isn't as bad off. Yes there are needs, but there is a lot more younger talent there. Tweak the offense (and trading your franchise QB isn't a 'tweak') and rebuild the defense. Going forward over the next few years it's going to be the offense that determines how far this team goes. Why sabotage it by giving away your best player? That line of thinking is something that the Browns organization would do. In fact, they've been doing it for the last 14 years.