1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

our defense is soft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers_liu, Sep 24, 2013.

1. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    did people see the shot that Cutler laid on Robert Golden? our entire defense is playing like that. that was one of the most embarrasing moment for our defense.

2. steelers_liu

Jan 16, 2012
    george atkinson and jack tatum used to call lynn swann soft. i feel just like that with our defense.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They did. But Lynn Swann was a tough WR, much tougher than people gave him credit for. I watched him play a lot and he was not afraid to take it over the middle knowing he was going to get leveled. And Jack Tatum and George Atkinson are a couple of COWARDS! They typically had to wait until somebody's back was turned before cheap shotting them. They knocked Swann out of a game once by sucker punching him from behind. Atkinson should have been banned from the league for that!!

4. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    One bit of defense for Golden though, he probably thought Cutler might slide and may have been putting himself in a position where he would avoid giving out a head shot. The fact that Cutler laid the wood to him, probably came as a surprise to him. Another one of those side effects of Goddell's rule book.

5. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree. The defense has to avoid the stupid penalty.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep.

It's funny - whenever a QB starts to scramble they look vulnerable, and chances are if there's a good hit on them they'll cough the ball up, or get a bit of a knock. The problem is, they're now a lot less vulnerable than they perhaps used to be.

Fair play to Cutler, he played Golden well on it. The real shame was that he got to run 10 yards before any Steeler got near him.

7. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012

:this!:

8. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    4th and goal on the 1yd line. The play happened just how the defense drew it up. The D line absorbed all the blockers. The hole opened up just how the offense drew it up. It was one on one with Timmons and the bears RB to meet in the hole at the goal line...Timmons got OWNED. Made me want to puke. They are soft. I would rather be carted off the field than run over like that.

9. steelers_liu

Jan 16, 2012
    yes, i do remember timmons getting run over by bush. timmons should have stopped him at the point of contact. another embarrasing moment for the steelers.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We need to hire Bill Romanowski and Greg Lloyd as assistant coaches to the linebackers.

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The RB got by Timmons, but he hardly got run over. Keep in mind Bush is a very big back and I'll bet he out weighs Timmons. That's a tough stop one on one... Pretty sure Timmons stood him up, but unfortunately there was no one else there to clean up.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You took the words out of my mouth. Timmons stood him up and nobody else came to help. One on one bush is going to get by most lbers. Bus trucked and straight trucked urlacher does that make urlacher soft.

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Our defense is NOT soft. They are tired because ben and the O, can't stay on the field for more than 3 downs. Let the O start scoring with 10 and 12 play drives and watch us start kicking azz!

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Why do fans make crap up. As for Cutler, someone else nailed it on the head, Golden let up to avoid the penalty and Cutler laid into him. I think he was genuinely surprised Cutler didn't just go to the turf.

15. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Bush ain't the Bus and won't be makin the trip to Canton either(neither will Timmons for that matter). But it's stuff like this that decides games. That was Timmons' moment and he ended up on Bush's highlight reel. We have to win those one on one battles or find people who will if we want more championships.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Exactly, also on that very play after Timmons hit him V. Williams hit him and had no effect on Bush, he scored after those two hits.

Fact is, we are getting softer and its by design because the whole NFL is mandating it. Get used to it. My 70's Steelers are no more. My 70's NFL is no more!!

Cajun-

17. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
  18. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    From "nice pic cowher"- "Whether it has been the lack of ball-security by the offense, the piss-poor play from the offensive line, the inability of the defense to record sacks or force a single turnover, or the coaching staff’s lackadaisical attitude towards their recent 2-8 slide during regular season play, the 0-3 Pittsburgh Steelers are in deep trouble.

While those issues have garnered the most headlines in recent weeks, the Steelers’ defense has also struggled to successfully stop the run as well.

PROMOTED BY WALGREENS Get a Shot. Give a Shot.™

In fact, through the first three weeks of the regular season, Pittsburgh’s defense has been anything but “dominant” when their opponents have gone to the running game.

Mediocrity Defending the Run

Currently, the Steelers rank tied for 22nd in rushing yards allowed per game with 115.3, tied for 26th in rushing touchdowns allowed with four, and 30th in total rushing attempts faced with 104.

The Steelers’ have struggled to consistently win in the trenches, have not blown many plays up in the backfield, and have certainly had their fair share of issues with tackling through their first three games. So I certainly cannot blame Pittsburgh’s opponents for attacking them on the ground as often as they have this year.

Remember the Titans’ clock-eating drive (6:48 total) at the end of the first half in Week One? I sure do, and I remember the Titans running the ball on 11 of their 12 plays on the drive. Although they gained only 41 yards on the ground on the drive, they won at the point of attack enough to completely destroy the will of Pittsburgh’s guys in the trenches.

The duo of BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Giovani Bernard behind the Bengals’ offensive line gashed the Steelers in Week Two to the tune of 113 yards on the ground. While they were not able to get “big gainers,” Green-Ellis’ rush of 14 yards was the longest of the game, both backs consistently pushed the pile and set Andy Dalton and the rest of the Bengals’ offense in “2nd and 3rd & manageable” situations all evening.

Like Green-Ellis and Bernard did in Cincinnati, Matt Forte found success on the ground against the Steelers last Sunday. In addition to his one touchdown, Forte gained 87 yards on 16 carries at Heinz Field. Overall, Forte, Michael Bush, and Jay Cutler combined to gain 107 yards for the Bears, and this was the third consecutive game in which Pittsburgh’s defense allowed an opponent to gain over 100 yards on the ground.

Final Thoughts

Due to the fact that the Steelers have not been as dominant against the run as they have in years past, I am sure that the Minnesota Vikings would love to utilize Adrian Peterson as often as possible in London this Sunday.

As the Vikings most potent offensive weapon, it would behoove Minnesota’s offensive brass to feed the ball to their future “Hall of Famer” whenever they get the chance. Peterson still ranks fifth in the league in rushing yards (281) despite the Vikings’ troubles on offense during their 0-3 start. The stat is made even more impressive when one considers that Christian Ponder does not scare many defenses with the threat of stretching the field vertically.

This 2013 installment of the Steelers’ defense has struggled at times against the run this year, and they will definitely be put to the test this Sunday when Minnesota serves them a heavy dose of Peterson at Wembley Stadium."-They're SOFT.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Such low standards that writer has. I remember when it was impressive for one back to gain over a 100 yards, not total team yardage. I'm not impressed :bscow:

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011