1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

After Debo retires....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Jul 4, 2015.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can we please bring him back on the physical fitness training staff.What he has done in assisting his teammates in this offseason is phenomenal. This will keep him with the team,employed,and boost our teams workout ethics.I can remember only one other player that was legendary for his workouts...and that was HOFer , Jerry Rice.

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Absolutely. ... i posted on a thread a while back saying that when he retired, that he should be the new strength and conditioning coach, or at least an assistant. ...
    At the very least, he could open his own training complex for players in the off season. .. only issue with that is everyone would benefit, and not just our own

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Walter Payton.
    I agree with you. Make him a strength coach if he wants it!

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't Rod Woodson have a pretty tough regime?

I agree though, wouldn't mind having JH to help train players after he retires.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sold. Hire him!

It would also benefit the team just having him around to talk to people. Physical fitness or otherwise, does anyone want to give less than 100% with James Harrison watching?

6. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    If my memory is still on board, i either read or viewed a vid where he said when he retires it's family time. I took that as being right after our SB-50 victory. I suppose if someone can draw James interest in what's being discussed it can only be positive for the team. He still has a season ahead of him mentally and physically. Lets hope for the best!!

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He could still work full time with the team in the offseason and throughout camp without ever leaving home. Not everyone goes to Arizona or Florida. He could train whoever is local, then stare everyone down in July and August.

8. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

I suppose all hypotheticals mentioned will be at Debo's disposal upon agreement of he and the org.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not a bad idea at all.... Would in theory be fantastic.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not to mention ike down in fla. helping train guys with shaw. ike was an off season workout warrior right up til the end. debo and ike as the trainers would work for me. just not troy. jeeezzz. we would have them all speaking softly and have an inner peace. << green font. well unless they come out and play like him but I doubt that. :smiley1::cool:

11. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I can see him being an assistant but not the Strength & Conditioning Coach. You need to have a a high level understanding of the body that comes with a a good education to handle that role.

12. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Debo is street smarts have you ever took a good look at him! He didn't get that build from a book. :lolol:

13. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Yeah, it's mostly from whatever genetic pool he came from! :lolol: Don't get me wrong, he is a great example of what a hard working athlete + good genes can be. It doesn't necessarily mean he can make or teach everyone like that.

14. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

Agree, though i thought he'd be bigger!

Attached Files:

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup.

He'd be a good guy to have around as the "rah-rah" type, but probably not the one who plans the stuff.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, great physique for a LB, but not so sure I'd want to see Ben with tree trunks for arms :dancing:

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn`t be so sure about that...
    I remember him talking about what he spends on "body maintenance", massage therapists/ dieticians, physical workout equipment, etc, to keep his body performing at a high level, every year, not too long ago..

He was saying it, mostly, from a "tax write-off perspective"...

But, seriously...
    I think he knows what he`s talking about, especially, from a work out in the gym, perspective, and probably from a nutrition side of it, as well...

I`m thinkin`, he would be an asset to the rookies coming in, to show them what to do, and eat, and what not to do, and eat...

Sometimes, college degrees pale in comparison, to knowledge learned from doing the job the degree relates to!!

Besides, would you really want to be the player, that looks at James, and says, "No, I don`t think I can push myself any harder, I`m done"....

Imagine the reply... "Fine, ...SEE YA... Don`t let the door hit ya...P*SSY!!! "...

I`m lookin fwd to seein what he can do with his limited downs on the field this year, but, I would definitely welcome him in the weight room, as a trainer, after that!!!:thumbs_up::applaud:

GO STEELERS!!!

18. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Hell no.

Half the team would be on I.R. or taking time off for pyschological reasons before week 1

http://fanbuzz.com/story/james-harrison-is-benching-505-pounds-running-in-190-degree-heat/

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  20. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. Same as with any transition from player to coach. I remember the discussions about whether Charlie Batch should be QB coach went along similar lines (though obviously different context). Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    and the Hines Ward as receiver coach
    Troy as the secondary coach

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011