1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of The Team............ QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jul 1, 2015.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Last, but not least... On to the qb's

Overview:
    When you have an elite starter, there are few worries.. Our top 2 spots are all set. The only real competition here is for the 3rd spot, and it should be fierce..

Ben Roethlisberger --- As Ben gets older, he gets smarter, while remaining dynamic and able to make things happen when nothing is there.. 2 yrs. in a row now Ben has taken every snap during the season.. He has embraced Todd Haley's offense and has become an extra coach on the field.. So long as he's healthy, we have a chance to win.

Bruce Gradkowski --- Steady veteran presence.. Will not make things happen like Ben, but will take what the defense gives him, and provides stability from the bench.

Landry Jones --- This is it.. Jones either turns the corner in training camp and pre-season or he's gone... Legitimate competition has been brought in to either push him to greater heights or push him out the door.... I personally believe it's the latter as he has just not shown enough improvement to warrant a roster spot.

Taj Boyd --- Strong arm with a gunslinger's mentality.. Boyd has a very legitimate chance to unseat Jones, and will be given every opportunity to do so.

Devin Gardner --- The nfl in general did this young man a disservice in trying to convert him to a wr... This is a legitimately dynamic qb.. Gardner can throw from the pocket, on the run and can flat out run.. Yes, he has the athletic ability to be a good wr and he has size (6'4" 216 lbs.), but his talent under center can't be overlooked.. His style is very reminiscent of Denis Dixon's and he has the ability to push Jones and Boyd out the door.... This is a competition i'm going to keep a very close eye on

That concludes my look at the roster leading up to Camp... Enjoy the competition..
    Be on the look out for my final 53 predictions

2. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Great job BG...much appreciated!

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Seconded.

I can see the comparisons between Gardner and Dixon. I always think Dixon was underutilised here. The point where they started letting him run like he could, he got injured. I'm hoping Gardner at least makes some preseason games interesting, even if he doesn't stick around for long.

4. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Dennis Dixon? ..... must we go there....

5. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

lol... yes I must... My apologies if I brought up any bad memories, but the similarities in their styles is just too obvious... Denis Dixon pre-injury was in the Heisman race and being talked about as a 1st or 2nd rd. pick, and Gardner flashes that same potential.... The only difference is that Gardner is bigger, stronger and not quite as reckless.... He will be exciting to watch

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont think grad is a lock.I dont look at him as a charlie batch.I believe he can be unseated as well

7. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011
    I agree that grad can be unseated... i just don't believe it will happen. . The coaches put a pretty high premium on veteran leadership, and I don't feel that they would take the chance on having 2 very young back ups

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Grad will be unseated nor can he be with the talent vying for his spot. Grad is a very capable backup and can come in and win you 2 or 3 games if needed. I cant say that about anyone else on the roster not named Ben.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm doubtful that Grad will be unseated. If Ben goes down, Grad gives the team the best chance to continue to win until Ben gets healthy. The other guys are insurance. Could Gardner become a Slash type player? These types of players can contribute to a teams success for one or two years. If he were to unseat Jones and Boyd as well as show some potential as a WR during camp, he would certainly give the coaches something to think about for giving him a helmet on gameday.