1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of The Team............. DB's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 30, 2015.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Time to look at the area with the most question marks... The secondary

Overview:
    The secondary is going through transition and has question marks all over.. The so called experts say that the loss of Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor will decimate the back end... I couldn't disagree more.....While Troy forged a hall of fame career and Ike was a shut down corner albeit without hands, the 2 of them were liabilities at this stage of their career...Their retirement is basically addition by subtraction.. Yes, we lose some leadership on the field, but we have enough leadership on the team to make up for that aspect..

CB:
    Willie Gay
    --- Made himself a difference maker in the secondary, but was still burnt quite often.. 3 pick 6's and some timely tackles made up for a lot of the other mistakes, but still, improvement is necessary.. Still a sure tackler and blitzer, he will be looked at to start at least for this season

Cortez Allen --- Allen fell on hard times last season and was eventually benched.. It was disclosed after the season that Allen was playing hurt, but to me, that was a lame excuse... Allen says he is healthy now and that he is working on technique.. He's saying all the right things, but a season such as the one he just had has got to be in his head.... I hope that his head is together because he's got to know that he will be tested early..

Antwon Blake --- Not afraid to mix it up, and always fights for the ball.. Definitely an all effort type of player, and will start off as the nickel, and may start if Allen isn't right... Blake has the speed and won't be outrun for a pass, but can be had by a polished route runner.. Whether he is an active part of the defense, or a special teams gunner, he will remain a valuable part of the team.

Senquez Golson --- Rookie ball hawk with hands so good that it looks like he's using stick um... More than willing to stick his nose in and deliver a hit and has already caught the attention of Antonio Brown.. Covering Brown in practice can only make him better.... He will get on the field early, and could play a prominent role sooner rather than later

Doran Grant --- Hard hitting rookie that has a nose for the ball.. Excels in zone coverage..... Should spend the majority of his rookie season on special teams, but could get a look in the regular defense late in the season..

BW Webb --- Odd man out... couldn't find the field last season when we were struggling, and won't beat out either of the rookies or blake.

Kevin Fogg --- Very strong player, but not much of a cover man... sure tackler and a very good return man, with special teams being the only way he makes this team

S:
    Mike Mitchell
    --- Looking for a rebound yr. after not producing last yr... I'm pretty sure that he either makes a splash this season, or he's in another uniform... He's got the speed, and with a yr. under his belt in our defense, he should be better.. More hitter than tackler, and is known for missing quite a few, but that can be coached..

Shamarko Thomas --- Heir apparent to Troy.. A mack truck in a little package with the highest of characters... One of the many workout warriors on the team and is always looking to better himself.. Fast, strong and will make a receiver pay for going over the middle... The job is his to lose, and I look for big things from him this season.. A lot of so called experts out there will be eating crow

Will Allen --- #1 reserve, able to play both safety positions.. Solid, but ordinary player who will not make many mistakes, and will provide a veteran presence, at least for this season..

Robert Golden --- Has been taking backward steps ever since a promising rookie season and could be facing an uphill battle to make the team this yr...

Jordan Dangerfield --- Another hard hitting safety, with the ability to play on special teams... Dangerfield has the ability to push Golden out, and is his primary competition

Alden Darby --- Ball hawking safety with some speed.... May be a candidate for the PS and may have a real chance to make the team next season.

Gerod Holliman --- Major ball hawk, with extremely poor tackling skills... Must show that he can tackle consistently... If he can do that, then he may challenge Mitchell for the starting spot... He should make the team due to his ball hawking ability, but will not get the chance to showcase that until he shows that he can give a good stick..

Isaiah Lewis --- Lewis has the chance and skill set to shake things up a bit... Another possible PS candidate and the competition looks to be fierce

Ross Ventrone --- Special teams gunner and excels in that role, but not much of a factor on defense.... May face another uphill battle to make it, but he won't make the coaches job easy.

Ian Wild --- Camp fodder and will be an early cut

Next up: Qb

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Cortez is the gamechanger here. I don't agree about the 'lame excuse' part - something was clearly wrong with him last year (whether it was physical or mental - I suspect the latter), as players of his calibre simply don't drop their ability by that much in one off-season. If Allen is back to form, then the picture looks better. If he isn't, then we have a lot of 'promise', a lot of 'tackles but can't cover', and a lot of 'covers but can't tackle.'

It will also be interesting to see how Holliman pans out - we won't be able to see until preseason games start, but I'm hoping something clicks with the tackling, as I remain thoroughly unconvinced that Mitchell is the answer back there.

3. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I expect these threads to get plenty of action throughout the TC and preseason games.

Fine work Patrol!

btw: Who is that in that picture by your posts?

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Snoop Dog

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another good one . I think the game is changing and the rules are making the hitter types less effective and even less valuable . We got some ball hawks in this draft ,I hope they can find the field .

We need the front guys to do what they are supposed to do. Rush the QB and collect the RB on the way . The 1 gap system is more suited to do that .Here is a list of some great DB'S who are or where poor tacklers.Richard Sherman,Darren Sharper,Ed Reed,Darrell Green,Champ Bailey,Ty Law,Deion Sanders,and Darrell Revis.

Can they make a tackle ? Yes usually a grab and hold on , but mostly they were great at taking the ball away , we need take away guys not hitters .

6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Snoop isn't really a Steelers fan. He is a bandwagoner. He has also been photographed at a Ravens practice in a Ravens sun hat. Not sure how many Steelers fans would do that.Other photos of Snoop in these jerseys: Patriots, Seahawks (another two teams Steelers fans usually hate), 49ers, Raiders and Bucs.All ghose teams have been very strong in the last five years with the exception of the Raiders, who are closest to Snoop's hometown and the Bucs which are inexplicable.I think Snoop likes a spot in the limelight.

7. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    He runs some kind of junior league as well, where all the teams are based on the NFL, and "his" team is the Steelers.
    He also remixed the long time message board favourite "Black and Yellow", as I recall.
    I think I've seen him actively supporting the Steelers more than other teams, but I wouldn't be able to say if that made him a proper fan or anything. Presumably if he turns up at other team's practices, they give him some apparel to wear. :shrug:

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Looking at the roster I can see at least 9 DBs and max 11.

C.Allen, Blake, Golston, Gay, Mitchell, W.Allen, Shamarko are virtual locks.

CB battles will be Grant, Webb, Fogg. Grant being the favorite as he won't last on the PS if he shows anything during preseason. Webb could be a surprise. He didn't get on the field last year and no worries as McCain was playing ok. Fogg seems to be flashing in OTAs....

Safety battles....Golden has the inside track...... great STer!!!! Holiman will make it IF he knocks the crap out of a few players, shows he is a willing tackler/hitter. Lewis vs Darby for the PS.... if Holiman doesn't fail to make the roster.

Cajun

9. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

I would never call or consider Cortez Allen the gamechanger of the group or at all. He went to a military school where classes and military training came first. Thus he had very little experience in college and came out underachieving and ill prepared because of that. There is a reason not many NFL players come out of the Citadel.

Once on the Steelers he has done nothing to warrant a spot compared to others on team.

Cortez was drafted by Steelers as a prototypical large CB in the mold of Ike Taylor.

Im not calling him a bust but we all know he is GONE if he doesnt do well this year. That is actually the opposite of a gamechanger.

Potential game changers on the roster currently? Holliman in the vein of Ed Reed, Golson who if two inches taller would have been the first DB off the board in the first round, and potentially Shamarko, however he has done so little in his tenure here even in sub packages that we really gotta wonder about him.

Those are my potential game changers in order. And yes I understand Holliman didnt like to tackle in college. Lets see how that works out in training camp and preseason. Im thinking Holliman was a serious NFL blunder along the likes of Keisel drafted in the 7th round, Antonio Brown drafted in the 6th round, and Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round.

think about it..... top rated QB in NFL a sixth round pick. Best receiver in the NFL a sixth round pick.

Now flash back to Cortez.... mmm.... no. Hope im wrong but..... mmm... no.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I found it disturbing that his coach said "I can't play for him". I'm putting a lot of hope in gohlson, grant and blake this year. I already know gay is good enough. I sure don't want us to pizz around with cortez too long if he's not moving forward. I sure hope he does, but. I believe grant, blake and webb are the three wild cards this year that must show. as for golden, I don't care as much about his ST's play as I do his pass defense play. he has to show more this year or we find someone else between darby, lewis and Holliman able to play safety. will allen is a band aid with his age, we need someone to step up for that 3rd spot for down the line. that down the line could come sooner than we think too.:cool:

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you misread me - reading back I can see how, though, so apologies about that.

The 'game' I was referring to was simply how good our CB corps are looking. As in: "If Cortez plays like the contract he got suggests he could (leaving aside the question of how much of this was a panic signing), then it's a different game to if he's the same as last year."

Probably should have used a different term, but hey ho.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well we in trouble unless the young guys step up. Before the draft we didn't have a true #1 or #2 CB . The big question is do we have 1 now ? Cortez is not and can not be that guy .[h=4]WEAKNESSES[/h] Awareness is lacking. Doesn’t do the little things in coverage to maximize natural gifts. Late reacting from off-man coverage. Angular, high-cut player who displays some hip-stiffness. Struggles to stick with quicker, savvy route-runners. Must improve in run support. Needs to become more consistent with angles and positioning.

Add in he's not really that fast and a #1 or #2 CB we should never expect him to be .

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I expect both Golson and Grant to be in the top 4 CBs on our roster in terms of snap count by the end of the season. For Golson the reason is simple - he's a game changing type of talent, and I agree with the comment above that he may have been the 1st DB off the board if he were a bit taller. Grant is a different story. I don't see him ever being a star corner, but to me he looks very NFL ready, especially as a scheme fit for us. I was pimping him pretty strongly before the draft because his game film showed a smart, consistent, reliable corner who does pretty much everything well enough to play the position. Not great, but respectable. I think he will see some important snaps, and if some other guys don't come through or get injured, he may be able to be an adequate starter down the stretch.