1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of The Team.............. WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 30, 2015.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Time for the wideouts.. The glamour position on the offense, and one that has caught the attention of the entire league. Our wr unit is widely considered one of the top units in the league, if not the top. This is the type of unit that keeps a defensive coordinator up all night.

Overview:
    It doesn't matter what we lose in this area. We simply continue to reload and get better. I didn't think it was possible for a single scouting dept. to be so good at spotting talent at one particular position, but that's exactly what they are.. No matter what lump of coal we get, we seem to squeeze out a diamond.... The current group is already set, but I fully expect one or 2 of the new guys brought in to make enough noise to warrant a PS designation

Antonio Brown --- I've run out of great things to say about Brown. One of the elite receivers in the league, and refuses to rest on his laurels.. one of the first on the field, and last off it. And his work ethic is catching (pun definitely intended) on... It may be too much to ask to repeat last yrs. production, but i'm done underestimating what Brown can do

Martavis Bryant --- Speaking of Brown's work ethic rubbing off, here's a prime example.. Bryant sat for almost the first half of last season, and literally exploded on the scene.. He's come back this yr. with a bigger body, better focus on detail and has pretty much executed a hostile takeover of the #2 wr spot. The bigger, more muscular body should help him to wall off defenders, which is one of the things he needed to improve on.. We will see in pre-season if he's learned to high point the ball yet as well.. Sky is the limit for this kid, and paired with Brown basically makes an unstoppable duo.

Markus Wheaton --- Last yrs. #2.. Wheaton will slide into the slot, where he should be extremely dangerous... Wheaton is still developing as well, but doesn't have near the ceiling that Bryant has.. At the same time, i'm reminded of Brown, who basically ripped his ceiling clean off, so anything's possible... I love Wheaton's team first attitude in embracing his new role as the #3, but at the same time would've loved to see enough fire in him to make this a legitimate competition.. If he's not careful, he could find himself embracing the #4 spot next yr.

Sammie Coates --- Bryant part 2... Almost a carbon copy of Bryant last season, with nearly the same scouting report... Coates has already caught people's eye...He came to us with a question about drops, but has already shown very soft hands... Coates also has an extremely high ceiling and unlike Bryant, should find the field sooner rather than later.

Darrius Heyward-Bey --- His former 1st rd. status is a distant memory.. His speed is not, and he's still capable of taking the top off a defense.. He won't see much field time, but special teams is where he's making his presence felt... DHB is the elder statesman of the group, but still fairly young in his own right.. I think his spot is safe for this yr., but in 2016 he may find himself at war with one of our developmental prospects, or a draft pick..

CJ Goodwin --- A very good athlete who I expect to make a lot of noise in camp and pre-season.. Won't make the team, but will provide some entertainment... especially on the return teams

Tyler Murphy --- Converted qb who's only hope to stick will be on the PS

Shakim Phillips --- Coincidentally enough, Phillips was one of Murphy's targets in college.. A big receiver with some upside... I actually feel somewhat sorry for some of these UDFA's.... It has to be a little demoralizing and more than a little unfair to ask these guys to try cracking our current wr group..

Eli Rogers --- Strictly a slot receiver that won't see pre-season

Note: Devin Gardner will be added in my qb observations

Next up: Te's and Fb's

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I still well up a little when I don't see Moye's name there.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice break down and it is clear that our WR position is the group this Team needs to work through. I would like to see a lot of different sets with different types of WR'S .I still think the most dangerous set is a 3 by 1 .IMO the best guys would be Bryant,Coates, and DHB as the trips with Brown singled on the other side.Bryant and Coates to big for most Teams to press and DHB is still to fast to play without deep safety help. Then when you couple that with Brown teams will be forced to play 2 deep giving lots of lanes to throw into.

This also gives us a big group for run blocking and it gives Bell all kinds of space to run or to catch from . Not saying this should be the only set or group , but it should be a staple .Also this would be the perfect set to spell Bell and use Archer. He needs space and this would give him the most ,then he might could rip off some big plays.

4. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

I completely disagree with setting 3 deep route players on same side of field. And I completely disagree with putting DHB on the fieled ahead of Marcus Wheaton.

You should spread a defense out not make it easy on them. Have Wheaton on to at least run one crossing route.... and DHB has hands of stone. Even if he gets open he cant catch balls. I live near Oakland. DHB is total and complete shiiii.... seriously. All he has is speed and everyone knows it. Especially DBs.

This will be a break out year for Wheaton and its possible we have 3 WRs with over 1000 yds this year and one of them would be wheaton if it happened and one of them would NEVER be DHB if it happened. DHB is worthless except on special teams

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Hi5Steeler, meet PWP. I think you guys are going to get along just fine.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    A UT fan and Steeler hatin' cowgirl lover at work today was telling me that Coates is gonna be the real deal. He didn't know we had him and was telling me how awesome he was in college. I hope he turns out to be right.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Goodwin makes it a race.:cool:

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a new mate it seems. I think we will get some miles logged together.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually as a Steeler DHB has the best catch ratio on the Team. I think he dropped 1 ball all last pre season and had 1 drop during the regular season. If I remember correct the Team made it a point to target Wheaton and he looked so poor he lost his job.

DHB does still require bracket coverage ,the tape clearly shows it. Wheaton does not . For that single reason is exactly why I would give DHB snaps in that set .Now add in DHB'S blocking ability hands down better than Wheaton and any coach worth a salt is going to use DHB 15 or SO snaps a game .

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    The blocking ability of all of them is probably the separating factor. Not a lot to separate them all in terms of speed and hands (apart from AB, obvs).

On a different note, remember how Bryant was in preseason last year? He didn't seem to fight for the ball enough, and appeared to be looking for flags... halfway through the season he re-emerges as a different player, and the effects were devastating on opponent's defenses. It's impossible not to be excited about how much more he may improve with more snaps under his belt.

11. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Didnt DHB catch like 4 passes all year????

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bryant looked bad in preseason, people get mad at the coaches for not playing him sooner but they absolutely handled it the right way, he wasn't ready.

Coates will be worked in much the same way, probably even slower unless Wheaton and Ben continue to struggle getting on the same page.

14. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015
    Wait, did you just say DHB should get 15 to 20 snaps a game??????????

jesus H christ DHB is a bumbling chimpanzee with a football, he sucks donkey azz.

DHB had THREE CATCHES LAST YEAR. 3. TRES. ONE LESS THAN 4.

DHB 2014 STATS
    3 CATCHES
    2 DROPPED BALLS
    1 FUMBLE ... LOST TO OTHER TEAM

DHB STATS FOR 2015 IF HE CATCHES 60 BALLS THIS YEAR
    60 CATCHES
    40 DROPS
    20 FUMBLES LOST

DHB HAS HANDS OF STONE.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Snaps isn't the same as touches.

16. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Thank you Captain Obvious ......

If he is on the field for 15 to 20 snaps then someone else wont be. That someone else be it Coates, Wheaton, Dri Archer, or a practice squad player would be more likely to catch a ball than DHB if thrown to.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Judgingf from your over the top reaction, you were thinking touches. But try and make everyone believe otherwise, you might fool a few .

18. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Wow, you just called me a liar. Pretty bombastic if I do say so. Good job buddy. NO I actually DID NOT THINK that snaps are touches. And no I dont equate routes run in a game to actual yards for wide receivers, or incomplete passes as QB yardage.

My point was already made, if you choose to believe I am not typing what im thinking then things get a bit nebulous.

also please explain to me how in any reality I could believe DHB would ever get 15 to 20 touches a game when Antonio Brown gets 5 to 8 touches a game on average.

Hold on I gotta go make some popcorn and pop open a Brew to listen to this one......

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't say you thought snaps and touches are the same thing, just that you merely misunderstood what DHB said, the mistake has been made by other members of the board in the past when discussing snaps vs touches. All I did was merely point that out and you got all defensive.

Enjoy your popcorn.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So we're in agreement, DHB is PWP?

Lol... Sorry Blast I had no choice.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't be he is really Issac Redman.

22. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Hey hey, easy there pard, I met Redman when they came out to oakland a couple years ago. He had dinner in san jose Santana Row LB Steakhouse. Had a denim jacket on with a Redskin logo on back. Why I dont know maybe throw people off. I went up and wished him a good game and then everyone in restaurant it seemed came up and asked who he was. Had a frigging black supermodel on his arm.

So that makes us bros dontcha know

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Weird.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL fraudulent slip :lolol:

25. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

truth, he had same jacket on in hotel, my buddy got a pic. It wasnt the official logo but it was an indian head kind of bedazzled style. I know even weirder. BUT TRUE. Maybe he is part american indian, ive got no clue. It was however a dead ringer for the indian head logo otherwise