1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of The Team........... lber

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 29, 2015.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Time to look at the heart and soul of the defense.... As we all know, the inside is set player wise, but the battle for the depth chart is going to be a tough one... The battle for the outside spots will be quite interesting as well..

Overview:
    This group is facing some major changes (at least on the outside).. As previously stated, the inside is set player wise, although the final spot will be quite interesting.. The outside went from having 1 player under contract at the end of last season, to having an overabundance.. Now we appear to be set, but the competition will be fierce.

OLb:
    Jarvis Jones
    --- 1st rd pick that's still in the prove it stage... Jones appeared poised to record some big numbers last season before his wrist injury... They say the wrist is not fully healed yet, but that didn't stop him from working out with James Harrison in the offseason, so it can't be that bad.. He still has another season on his rookie deal, but if he can't put it together and stay on the field, as well as produce like he's expected, then he won't see an extension.. I feel that he does have what it takes, and i'm looking for him to show and prove this season.

Arthur Moats --- Highly active linebacker with a non stop motor.. Showed last season that he could produce in our defense, and will now get the chance to do it full time for at least this season.. The next guy on the list is undoubtedly set to take over in 2016, but for now the job is his, and i'm looking for some above average production.

James Harrison --- The old man is still the most intense player on the defense, and a beast incarnate... We have quite a few workout warriors on the team, but Harrison is on another level.... At this stage of his career, he is strictly a situational pass rusher, but it should still be more than enough.. Coach Porter (still sounds weird to say that) wisely is going to have Harrison on a limited snap count, but that could easily change if JJ does not produce, or gets hurt again... In the meantime, i'm happy with the leadership he's already shown with JJ and the other young guns

Bud Dupree --- The rookie has an almost unlimited ceiling.. Explosive pass rusher and highly coachable.. Will obviously need some schooling in pass coverage, but has the athletic ability and drive to learn quickly.. He will see his fair share of snaps in obvious passing situations, but his yr. is definitely 2016

Shawn Lemon --- Put up big numbers in the CFL and if he can show the ability to produce in pre-season, could really make the coaches decisions interesting..Has a variety of moves and has shown the ability to shed blocks.. I'm looking forward to this competition in a big way

Anthony Chikillo --- Hard worker with nfl bloodlines. Will be converted from DE and is most likely destined for the PS unless he proves to be a beast on special teams

Howard Jones --- Made a ton of noise last pre-season and is a very intriguing player. Excellent athlete and has a nose for the ball. I'm pretty sure he's heading back to the PS this season, and his real chance to make the active roster will be in 2016.. Right now, the competition is simply too great

Jordan Zumwalt --- Another victim of the numbers game, who will likely join Chikillo and HJ on the PS.... Unfortunately, barring another injury, I don't see us keeping both Zumwalt and Jones on the PS without one of them being snatched up

ILB:
    Lawrence Timmons
    --- Coming off his long overdue pro bowl selection and is finally being recognized as an elite ilber.. The leader of the unit and is used all over the field.. Not as effective in pass coverage as he used to be, but still more than good enough... Very good against the run and a exceptional blitzer... I look for more of the same excellence from him this season

Ryan Shazier --- Last season's first rd. prize.. showed quite a bit of promise despite his injury shortened season... Shazier has the speed of a cb and may be the fastest player on the defense.. Shazier spent the offseason working out with James Harrison, and put on 10 lbs. of muscle.. He has the inside track on the starting spot next to Timmons, but the next guy on the list is definitely going to make him earn it.

Sean Spence --- Finally got on the field last season after fighting off a career threatening injury.. His determination has earned the favor of his teammates and the hearts of the fans.. When Shazier was hurt last season, Spence found his way to the field, and learned on the job.. As time went on, it was clear that Spence was here to stay, and his play kept Shazier on the bench.. Spence is a lot like Shazier.. He just isn't nearly as fast.. He's a lot stronger now as well due to also joining James Harrison's workout insanity.. Even if he doesn't keep the starting spot, he will definitely see the field

Vince Williams --- Could easily be a member of the all mean team.. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and when he hits you, you feel it... Also a very smart player who won't make mental errors and has a leader's mentality.. The perfect back up to Timmons and also showed the ability to play next to him as well..

Terrance Garvin --- The man nicknamed big safety is unfortunately, the odd man out due to the 4 ahead of him, but is very effective on special teams.. Garvin will also see some competition from Zumwalt, who will be tried inside and out... also if some of the other prospects on the outside prove to be better in special teams, then Garvin may have an uphill battle to stick around.. In the end, I think his experience will win out... at least this yr.

Shayon Green --- Strictly a read and react player who is solid but not spectacular.. Also may be a bit on the slow side and appears to be weak in coverage... Will make some noise in pre-season, but will be a late cut

Next up: WR's

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Garvin is gone and Zumwalt is going to slide into his spot. If they keep 10, Lemmon and Jones will battle it out for the last spot with Chick going to the PS.

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    blackandgoldpatrol's assessment is pretty spot on here. While the ceiling is high for Dupree, being a first rounder the expectations are also high. Like the Oline with so many 1st and 2nd round picks, the expectation is that the time is now for the LB corps to go out there and dominate their side of the ball.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    being overstocked this year but could end up under stocked next year if things don't fall into place. with contract coming due next year, it's a good bet some of these guys are kept around as safety nets for next year. so jj is not only going to show what he's got for himself but could make us void of depth for next year if he fails and is cut. i don't think that will happen though. same with garvin and zumwalt. spence will be up for contract next year. maybe garvin will be kept around or zumwalt stays another year on the PS just in case.:cool:

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Way to kill my good mood, mac.

It's true, though - I seem to remember a few years ago we seemed to have LBers coming out of our ears (round about the time we let Thaddeus Gibson go), and then suddenly we looked very thin at the position without the quality of depth we were expecting.

It's going to make preseason an interesting watch, though.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :huh: JJ as in Jarvis Jones? That JJ? I don't think there is any chance of him being cut, no matter how much he underperforms this year. He'll have a longer leash then that.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't mean this year, but if he underperforms this year and moats and Dupree take over, he may be next year. I doubt we will keep an underperforming first rounder as a backup that underperforms as a starter 4 years in. but with james at 38 next year our depth will be reduced if we don't keep a guy like lemon or hojo or chick around as depth. that's what I mean in jj having to do well for not only himself but what we do with our depth at the position for next year. I personally think jj will do well this year. I thought he was playing better last year before he got hurt.:cool:

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My gut is Jones is a lock to be on the team for game one this season, baring injury, no matter what. But one of three things happens. He plays well this year and we all live happily ever after. He plays average or poorly this year, or gets hurt again, and he doesn't see next year. This is a make or break season. Three bad seasons and he's out. And being hurt, right or wrong, in the NFL, counts as a bad season.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew what you meant, I was referring to 2016, I see no chance of him being cut if he doesn't perform up to expectations this year. A 1st rd pick will be give more time than that, 2016 will essentially be his 3rd. But, like you said, I expect him to perform well anyway this year, so it's moot.

No, the Steelers won't hold a season lost to injury against him. Look what they did for Spence and he's not even a first rd pick. JJ will be given a long leash if needed.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Good work B&G P. I generally agree with the assessment, with a few slight tweaks. First, I agree that Harrison will be on a limited snap count, but in addition to being a situational pass rusher he may (should) be used in obvious running situations as a situational run defender. He is one of the best run stopping OLBs in recent league history, and is probably better at that than rushing the passer at this point in his career. Second, I don't see HoJo remaining on the practice squad if he has made the typical year 1 to year 2 improvement leap. If he has improved, he needs to be on the active roster as the special teams replacement for Garvin, who is probably done. HoJo has a ton of potential upside, and I can see someone with less depth at OLB poaching him (again assuming the typical improvement from year 1 to year 2). If both HoJo and Lemon look like keepers, it may be Harrison that ends up as the odd man out.

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We not only have quantity but we also have quality and potentials at this position.Next season is next season and we will address our situation then,but as for now,we are looking great

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    can lemon qualify for the PS? does playing pro ball in Canada change that status?:cool:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He's PS eligible. His CFL time doesn't effect that.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

ahh good to hear. thanks chief, I knew you would have the answer.:smiley1::cool:

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Spence is in a fight some of the other guys. Spence made it back, and it is a great story, but I'm not sure if he will ever be what he could have been with that injury.

I know this rarely happens, but I think we should try to move one of our ILB's in a trade if we can.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The key thing is that Spence is basically an ideal sub for Shazier. Far more so than Garvin (barring some miraculous change in form). Spence doesn't have to be a superstar, same as Vince Williams (and before them, guys like Larry Foote). They just have to be very good.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Locks are Deebo, Dupree, JJ, Moats, Timmons, Shazier, Spence, Williams...

Now for realistic roster battles...OLB H. Jones- Lemmon & Chickillo. They should keep one on the roster and one on the PS. Howard has the inside track being here last year and Lemmon has the experience in proball but don't count out Chickillo... he's a solid run defender which we need and with his size and strength AND Porters coaching just might flash enough late in preseason to capture a roster spot.

Roster battles ILB.- Zumwalt, Garvin........ Garvin has the inside track being a solid STer but offers little else. Zumwalt has a nonstop motor and greater upside, if he flashes on ST Garvin may be outside looking in.

I can see us keeping 10 on the roster...........

Cajun

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Out of the OLBers, I can see HoJo beating out Lemmon. With Lemmon's age/experience he'll probably ask for his release rather than a PS spot. And I think Chickillo or Zumwalt could replace Garvin for the STs role.