1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of The Team............. D-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 27, 2015.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    As promised. It's on to the d-line.. As with the O-line, the starters are set, as is the back up NT. The back up DE spots are going to be hotly contested.. This should be one of the best competitions on the field when the pads come on... Let's get to it

Overview:
    As far as the starters are concerned, we probably have the most athletic line we've ever had since we first went to the 3-4.. These guys are going to be turned loose this season, which plays right into their strengths.. As previously stated, the back up DE spots will be a major battle... We've got some very good young talent out there, which will be exciting to watch... I said it in my end of season grades, and i'll say it again here.. WE WILL LEAD THE LEAGUE IN RUN DEFENSE!!!!!!

DE:
    Cam Heyward
    --- Tied for the team lead in sacks last yr... And that was in coach Lebeau's defense that was designed for him to occupy blockers. What can he get now that the leash is off?? Heyward's becoming an intimidator on the line, and I see a pro bowl nod for him this yr.... Quickly approaching elite status

Stephon Tuitt --- Quite possibly the most athletic guy on the line.. Prototypical size, with uncanny mobility and a non stop motor, and the desire to be great.. Tuitt's ceiling is higher than Heyward's..... I stick by my past statements when I said that Tuitt will be better than Heyward by the end of 2016... This is going to be a scary pairing for quite some time

Clifton Geathers --- My pick for primary back up.. A huge man that can play anywhere on the line.. Dropped from over 350 lbs., to a scary 325, and is clearly on the coaches radar.. Plays with a chip on his shoulder all the time, including practice, where he's caught the attention of some of our o-linemen.. To that I say thank you!!! It may be cliché, but I strongly believe that you play the way you practice and Geathers's attitude will give both front lines the edge we need when the hitting counts. We just may have a keeper here. At the very least, he should be the veteran presense that the coaches desire, and one that will allow them to cut loose the next person on this list.

Cam Thomas --- I have absolutely nothing good to say about Thomas.. His play last yr., explained perfectly why the chargers were willing to let him walk away. According to PFF, Thomas was the dead last ranked 3-4 DE in the league, and watching him play, that ranking is easily believable.. I am hoping beyond hope that he will be cut in pre-season :praying::praying:

Ethan Hemer --- One of those guys that are going to make this competition extremely interesting... Strong and active, and a very likeable player.. I believe he will make it to the last round of cuts, but will be a victim of the numbers game.. Definitely good enough to make it, but will be edged out, due to the level of competition... Sucks for him, but from a team standpoint, and coaches view, it's a good problem to have..

Joe Kruger --- Poor man's Bret Keisel, and another that will get a very long look from the coaches.. If he doesn't make our roster, he will land somewhere in the league... Non stop motor with a nose for the ball.. The coaches are going to have some very hard decisions to make.

Lt Walton --- Very intriguing rookie with a lot of upside... Another that is highly active along the line... Very strong, with explosive hands and good footwork.. Can collapse the pocket from the inside and holds well against the double team (Did I mention that the competition will be intense?)... Very rare for a low rd. rookie to make the active roster right away for us, but i'm not sure we can keep him if we stash him on the PS.... If he shows well in pre-season, then he may just buck the trend..

Matt Conrath --- Very strong, and active.. His lack of technique is his undoing and will need a lot more schooling in order to be a factor in this competition.

Niko Davis --- Purely a developmental player.. Highly athletic (ran track in high school), and high character... Very strong and active.. Just the type of player the coaches like to stash on the practice squad and develop over a yr., or 2..... doesn't help that he started college late and is already 25, but has a chance to make some noise...

DT:
    Steve McClendon
    --- Strong man with the ability to get into the backfield... Cannot be blocked 1 on 1.. Is not a total rock against the double team, but may not see much due to Heyward and Tuitt's presence flanking him. His only drawback is his injury history... A true workout warrior, so I look for him to address the issues that have led to his injuries.

Dan McCullers --- Unlike McClendon, McCullers is a rock against double teams, and is basically a must double whenever he's on the field.. Showed surprising activeness in his rookie season and from what I've heard, he's dropped approx. 20 lbs., and is playing at 330 now.. This can only make him that much more dangerous, and opposing Centers will have no break when he comes in for McClendon.. We are going to create some matchup nightmares in the middle this season.

Mike Thornton --- Odd man out here, with not much chance at making it past the first few cuts... His only hope here is to make it to pre-season and show enough for another team to take a chance on him.

Next up: RB's

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't know if he'll be better than Cam, but he's going to be a terror.
    Ha, really? I'm not surprised. Hopefully, he'll stop being held back now that old man LeBeau is gone. I'll show myself out.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Terrible Podcast guys were saying that if Geathers takes the #1 backup role Cam is surely cut because of his salary.

Something makes me cautious about Geathers though, why has this guy bounced all around the NFL if he is a legit backup?

I think Terrible Podcast were also talking up Matt Conrath because he is a perfect fit for this defense, and up until now has not gotten the right opportunities to show off his skills.

I'm most interested in Hemer. He is a large dude at 6' 6" with long arms. Kruger is a big guy too, so I don't know we will see. It is a good problem to have indeed.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Tuitt was my favorite pick of that draft, him and Heyward are going to wreak havoc.

:roflmao:

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Me too, blast. Absolutely loved that pick.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I know what you mean. He has the intensity, for sure, but how will that translate on to the field?

I'm hoping to see some of the new guys push for the BU role. Walton intrigues me.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seems like we've turned around a lot of the negativity after losing Mauro and Williams. I like our size and depth and we may have picked up a bit more experience with a few of these guys. The question is will Butler truly let our guys "loose" or is it just the same lip service we've been hearing the last few years. Anyway how much will a different approach affect our early performance? It will be interesting to see how other teams combat the change. It should work out well for us now that the opposition doesn't know exactly what we're gonna do. It's time to get back to the days when our D has the other team on their heels, instead of the other way around.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

:facepalm::roflmao:

9. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Hey Black/Gold...just wanted to say Thank you! for all the posts on the team at each position. It is very helpful to get a little insight (albeit an opinion). Much appreciated.

10. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

you're very welcome..... glad to do it

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with your scouting report pretty much 100%, except the part in red...

I hope this happens, but I have no way of knowing it will, until the season starts...(Do you know something I don`t?)...

IF it does... we will be in great shape!

And thanks for the effort, in breaking down player by player, at their position... Good Job.:thumbs_up:

GO STEELERS!

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You mistakenly gave me credit for Black and golds report to which he has done a great job at I might add. As far as the being turned loose part,Butler has been quoted saying exactly that. So I will be hoping to see it as well.

14. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, my bad, I wasn`t clear about that...I meant thank you to BnGPatrol...

Didn`t need to quote his entire post again, and steeldeal, already mentioned the part I was wondering about.

Also, I am still not sure how to pick out more than one quote in a thread, and include them both, in my reply, esp, if they are not back to back replies..

The last I heard, Butler was saying we would make some "minor" changes, not switching to a 4-3, or anything like that. I had not heard him specifically say, they would change the line`s strategy from occupying blockers, to sending them after the qb, more often.
    If he has, AWESOME!!! I believe we have the talent to do it, if we choose...

I also understand, not tipping your hand to opponents, in offseason interviews...;)

GO STEELERS!!!

15. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Geathers lost 50 pounds of fat to get a chance with Steelers this year. That and he is taller than Dan McCullers. Combine the two and you have a nightmare for QBs throwing across mid field in certain packages. Not that both would start this year mind you but the steelers see the potential in two guys both almost or around six foot nine

The potential is too good too pass up for our D line coach who is loving geathers right now

16. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

I thought I remember Tuitt's combine report being better than Cam Heyward's. Not sure but thought Tuitt fell for some specific reason to us in draft?

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm, not sure about the two reports, but it was surprising that he fell to us. I don't recall a reason, I remember it as just the way the cards fell.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If I remember correctly it was something injury related that caused a dip in production....I think.

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Out of all the starters or potential...I think thomas is the weakest link but i always give a player that played for another team ...the first year bye.

20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I find it curious the Steelers no longer list NT but instead DT.

We know the Locks.... Heyward Tuitt McLendon..... near locks are McCullers, Thomas Geathers...Serious contenders are Conrath, Walton.

Heyward & McClendon are in the final year of their contract. Heyward May be extended in camp. McLendon will play out his contract and renewed most likely if he stays healthy and plays well. After losing Mauro last year I can't see us putting Walton on the PS if he shows anything. Walton is strong, quick hands, good motor. With coaching he'll be DaBeard part 2.

I'm hoping Walton is on the 53, Thomas is cut, Conrath is developed on the PS. Also, that Geathers justifies Mitchell's faith.

Cajun