1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kelvin Beachum Is The Steelers Secret Superstar According To ProFootballFocus

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jun 26, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This was from a few days ago, but PFF is doing a feature where they analyze each team and name a secret superstar (I believe they're only choosing from offense, but I could be wrong). Here's the article:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/06/22/secret-superstars-pittsburgh-steelers/

Here are their weekly grades for him from last year FWIW.

PlayerBar.png

I've been critical of Beachum in the past, but he has steadily improved and Munchack has really done a lot for his development. Obviously, there's room for improvement, but schematically he's working out quite well.

Being a bit of a cap geek, I'm very intrigued about what his future contract will look like.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My guess is the FO wants to move him inside (LG ) and will pay him as a top tier LG, 8-9 mil/ year. His camp will probably want top LT money, 9-12 mil/year. I wouldn't be surprised if the team franchises him next yr trying to keep him while replacing him at LT.

I predict a 6 yr 65 mil with 25 guaranteed. This is from a guy who's an admitted capology struggling student.

Cajun

3. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

there have been other articles naming him one of the top Left Tackles in the entire NFL.....

4. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    yes I know. I'm a huge KB fan. Luv it when a late rd pick becomes a star. He's a OG excelling at OT. Imagine our OL with his quickness at LG!

Big Red was an Allpro LG,,, due to injuries he once moved to LT, still made the ProBowl. I'm really puzzled why there has been no talks so far

Cajun

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know... If you have a stud LT, which is what Beachum has gradually turned into, do you change his position and start from scratch looking for a new stud LT? Those things don't grow on trees, and finding a capable guard is much easier.

If we happened to have Joe Thomas on the bench, that would be one thing. Then I could see the shift, in order to get the best players on the field. But we don't have anyone else even resembling a capable LT, and no one on the horizon. In order to get one, we'd likely have to invest a high draft pick, and then hope he's not a bust, and then wait a couple years for him to be good enough. That's a lot of work and sacrifice when you're staring at a perfectly good solution. I'd rather just find a new LG to transition toward over the next couple years.

Imagine our OL without him at LT!

Plus, I don't see why it's better to have quickness at LG than LT. LT is more important, and while quickness is key in the run game for guards, quickness is key in the passing game for tackles. Protecting the QB is my #1 priority. I want my best player there. And we can find a quicker guy for LG... anyone's quicker than Foster.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well NOT ANYMORE!!! Thanks PFF and TTF! LOL! I really have heard Tomlin sing his praises though.

7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    KB is not a stud LT. He is a good LT and he gets better every year.....so far. I'd be quiet happy if he remains our LT. I believe he would be a stud LG and that upgrade would be huge. We would need another LT at least as good as Beachum.

You are correct. Protecting Ben is job one. Great LT are harder to find/develop than OG.

Cajun

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His agent will like this when his contract is up after next season, and it's time for a new deal.

9. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So this has to be our first "breakout" player who didn't do so in a contract year, right? ;)

10. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    David DeCastro's new contract is also coming up after this year. He's going to be one of the best guard in the league. Can we sign both Beachum and Castro to a long term ($50-$70 mil ) contract? If I had to pick one, I'll have to go with DeCastro. We already have Pouncey and Gilbert signed to a big long term contract.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Top 5 LT contracts average about 11 million a year, top 5 guard contracts average about 9 million a year, Decastro should sign for 5 years at 45 million, Beacham about the same going rate considering he isnt top 5 yet......

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I love DD but I'd have to go the opposite way. LT's are harder to come by than RG's any day. I don't want to lose either, but I'd rather we replace foster and gilbert before either of these two go.:cool:

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I also would rather we replace those two. Gilbert has hurt people and Foster is American For Sack.

14. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Beachum leads our team in sacks allowed the past 2 seasons. He gives them up faster than Starks did despite Ben getting rid of the ball a lot quicker than he used to.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Beachum is better than Starks was at his very best, and he was never at his best for more than a couple games in a row. Comparing those two just makes me want to pay Beachum all the more.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I could not agree more! I would always get so mad when Ben was wearing that stupid Starks jersey at camp. I have no idea what it was that he saw in him.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, to be fair, although Beachum is better than Starks, Starks was better than Jon Scott by an even wider margin. I would have worn a Starks jersey if I thought it would get him back over Scott.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben was just playing the odds even though neither were truly in his favor. LOL.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd say we are pretty lucky and may be the only team in the nfl with the whole left side of the offensive line to be manned by a 3rd, 7th round pick and an UDFA. depending on what happens in this camp, all our backups could also be UDFA's. if colbert has a collective weakness in a major area this would be it. you have to wonder how much better we could have been if he was just a little better at picking in this area.:cool:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Scott era may very well have been the scariest time in Ben's life... even scarier than the moment he spent on someone's windshield.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    either one, Ben was buggin

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :lolol:

24. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    At what exactly?

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think beachum has been benched yet for subpar play. he's got that over starks.:shrug::smiley1::cool: