1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Steelers Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by samsam, Jun 12, 2015.

1. samsam

samsam New Member

Jun 12, 2015
  2. StillImmaculate

StillImmaculate New Member

Jun 11, 2015
  3. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Joe Greene
    Jack Lambert
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Hines Ward

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I know the OP stated a players Mount Rushmore. However IMHO you can not have a TRUE STEELERS Mount Rushmore without Charles Henry "Chuck" Noll. The Emperor Chaz (as Myron named him) is personally responsible for the STEELERS we have today.

To leave Coach Noll off any true STEELERS Mount Rushmore would be a travesty!!

My STEELERS Mount Rushmore. For what its worth.....

Coach Noll
    Joe Green
    Terry Bradshaw
    Jack Lambert

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Has to be like you state, otherwise you never get out of the 70's. TB has to be a part of it, Joe Greene is a no brainer, cant leave off Lambert and even if you restrict it to players only and bypass Noll, how do you leave off Swann or Stallworth?

And this discussion pops up all the time :lolol:

7. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Where the hell is Terry Bradshaw???? You got zero rings till superbowl 40 without the BLOND BOMBER for christ sake. You cant say that about any other single player from Bradshaws era. No one.

8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    unquestionably this!

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We did a thread about this a few years ago and people couldn't narrow it down. LOL. I still can't either. I was just thinking about something Ray said during that thread yesterday. He said "the Steelers don't need a Rushmore but we need an Olympus". That was true then and is true now.

10. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, we could name every rock in the Appalachian Mountains, after a Steeler`s Greatest Player!...

We are truly spoiled!!!:cool::thumbs_up::herewego!:

GO STEELERS!!!

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Make your choice BFT.....We are building a Mount Rushmore for the Six time Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. We need four faces from STEELERS past to make this monument. Who do you choose?

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Haha, so true!

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    That is SO true.........But a Mount Rushmore only has 4 faces. What 4 do you choose??

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually did it a few years ago and I can't remember who I put. Lambert and Mean Joe are givens and I think I put Ben and either Bradshaw or Noll.

15. StillImmaculate

Jun 11, 2015
    I'm not convinced they don't win any Super Bowls till XL with a team stacked with 4 other HOF's on the offensive side of the ball and that defense (add another 4 HOF's -- and a case could be made for L.C., Russell, and Shell).

Bradshaw was my boyhood idol but, as I've gotten older, I've realized he wasn't as great a qb as Big Ben is. Hell, Bradshaw barely lasted in Pittsburgh. Hanratty and Gilliam held the starting position early in Brad's career. Bradshaw wasn't even the starter for the entire season during the first Super Bowl run. And they went unbeaten with Mike Kruczek in '76 when Brad broke his arm.

Big Ben, on the other hand, is the reason we have two more rings.

Ben will have shattered every passing record in the franchise book when he's done (except for, of course, not having four rings -- but he's not done yet).

If you're looking for the four faces (players only), I'd put Ben over the Bomber.

Surprised people are talking about how Noll has to be on there but not one mention of The Chief. AJR would be the first head on any Pittsburgh Mount Rushmore.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They wouldn't have won a SB with any of the other QB's you listed and had Noll been Bens coach, Ben would have been riding the pine at times too.

Different game today, listing Bens passing accomplishments carries no weight on the subject, what you can compare though is who shined the brightest on the biggest stage and that was TB, he was clutch. Ben had his moment obviously but he isn't SB clutch llke TB was. No way do I put Ben on a Mount Rushmore over Bradshaw.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it can't be done. it just can't be done.:facepalm: chief, noll, bradshaw, greene. i guess.:hmmm::cool:

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Art Rooney
    Chuck Noll
    Myron Cope
    Mean Joe....because I can't think of another to go against the grain...lol
    Dick Hoak ...maybe?
    Omar khan?....maybe?
    Just having fun

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually Swanns career stats are pretty bad, he only averaged 37 receptions a season in his 9 year career, he never had a single 1000 yard season, and if he didnt play on a 4 time super bowl winning team, he wouldn't even be in the hall of fame...Franco on the other hand was the steelers bread and butter on game day.........

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Bradshaw was only clutch because he had the best defense in pro football, he didnt exactly light up the scoreboard, put Ben on that 70s team and they may have won more than 4 SBs, Ben wasnt the problem in that packer super bowl, he had some sub par play from his receivers and others on that offense, the defense couldnt get to rodgers and he was quick releasing the ball all over the place the whole game, Ben is every bit as good as TB in the clutch....

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    An empty backfield, deep out, from our own end zone didn't help matters in that game either. I still say take away the Mendy fumble and we would have won. The momentum had shifted or at the very least was shifting when that play happened.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :huh: He plays offense. He won two SB MVP's, defense didn't help him complete clutch throws to earn those awards.

And Ben had one of the best defenses the league has ever seen in 2008.

Bens not even close to being as clutch as TB and this coming from a huge Ben fan.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This

25. StillImmaculate

Jun 11, 2015
    Bradshaw also threw to TWO Hall of Fame receivers. All Ben has ever done is beg for one, just one, tall receiver.

Bradshaw won his Super Bowls playing behind a Hall of Fame center, handing off to a Hall of Fame running back, throwing to two Hall of Fame wide receivers, and playing with short fields because of a defense with four (more like six) Hall of Fame defenders.

Ben won Super Bowls throwing to Hines Ward (in the twilight of his career) and Santonio Holmes while handing off to Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall.

I love Bradshaw but his impact on the 70's teams wasn't equal to Ben's impact on the teams he's played for.