1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player has the most to prove in 2015?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 30, 2015.

1. Jarvis

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Cortez

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Shamarko

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Shazier

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would say Jarvis it's year 3 of his career, and he was drafted in the first round to continue the legacy of Steelers OLBs. He needs to step it up this season, or he will be on his way to being a bust.

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I voted "other"...

As in, all of the above...

I know that`s a cop-out, and if I was REALLY pressed to pick one, I would agree, Jones, is the longest tenured,
    and therefore most "disappointing", but, EVERYONE on that list has a lot to prove.

Hopefully, they ALL take a step forward, and in Cortez`s case, a step back to what he was...

I truly believe they all can contribute a whole lot more than they have so far...

I see no reason to belive any of them won`t, and I`m not sure which should have a bigger chip on their shoulder(more to "prove"), I just honestly believe, all of them are gonna take a big step forward this year.

Which will help the Team, in general.

GO STEELERS!!!:yeehaw:

3. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Prove to who? If to themselves, then I would hope they are more or less even.

Otherwise IMO there is only one choice. Allen is the only one not on his first contract right? Not as egregious Tubley (woodley) but... prove you are worth the extra cash the team paid to keep you around.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Voted other.....

Mike Adams needs to show he at least can be a viable backup. He's shown nothing so far, 2nd RD picks should show something by now.

Cajun

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they all need to show they can play together as one, not a bunch of individules trying to prove something. besides it will be difficult for jarvis when JH will be playing 25 snaps a game at that spot. :cool:

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mike Mitchell needs to show that he was really just injured most of last year and that he justifies the price we paid for him.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    JJ hands down. But I'll give an honorable mention to Cortez and Shamarko as well. Those guys MUST step it up and to step it up you've got to BE ON THE FIELD!

9. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    The entire team needs to prove to self they can get the 7th lombardi sooner than later it's time!!

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I voted Jarvis Jones, but it could be all players listed on poll.They all need to have monster seasons if the Steelers want to reach there goal.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    all question mark .. can i vote all?

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only one on that list who has a lot of rope is Shazier. I was going to say JJ but he's basically going into year two as well. I vote Cortez, they were counting on him big when they gave him that contract, needs to prove why they did.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Already giving JJ a pass in case he sucks it up again this year. ;)

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you guys will find this some interesting reading.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s-highly-of-Jarvis-Jones/stories/201505070045

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/29/steelers-for-friday-5-29/stories/201505290128

Not sure if you have read them already or not but I think it speaks to some of the concerns about Jarvis.

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, thorn. I had read the first one but not the second one. No one is expecting JJ to be JH, but he's got to pick it up this season and show he belongs in the NFL. He played well and produced in the SEC and I'd like to see that carry over, but so far he's played like he tested, slow and weak.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, he hasn't sucked it up yet, so no. Not sure how a player who was lost to injury for the year "sucked" :shrug:

Thanks Thorn, I think I misinterpreted your post, I was expecting something negative reading those. JJ will be fine.

17. pancake

pancake New Member

May 6, 2015
    I wanted to vote JJ, but only one of these guys have signed a big post rookie contract and that is Cortez Allen. I will say if I had to choose which I hope has a better season, it would be Jarvis.

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What the heck does this statement by Joey even mean?

"I still think he is one of the better linebackers in the league and he will be that. It just hasn’t happened yet."

Joey's full of crap if he's saying that JJ is one of the better linebackers in the league when he hasn't done squat yet, although I wouldn't tell him that to his face :eek:. But I'm not sure that's what Porter is saying. Maybe he's trying to say the kid has potential and he just did a poor job of stating it. :shrug:

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Other.

I think Big Ben has the most to prove. He's our franchise player and just signed a monster extension. Now prove that you can go out there, put this team on your shoulders, and go win a championship. The fate of this team for the foreseeable future is tied to one man.

Yeah it would be nice to have the guys in the poll all have breakout years, but compared to Ben they are all nothing more than role players. Proving you belong in the league or proving that you deserve to be a starter just isn't the same as proving that you are a top-10 NFL player and the sole reason your team wins a championship.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ben has already proved he is a legend with his super bowl drive in the 4th quarter against the Cardinals. These other guys have done nothing in comparison.

Most to prove list in order:

1. Jarvis Jones

2. Cortez Allen

3. Shamarko

4. Mike Mitchell

5. Shazier

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This is how I see it, too. I know everyone is itching to call JJ a bust, but Cortez just got extended. That, coupled with the talk of confidence issues, and I have to vote him.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that, but I understand the logic. I'm in the 'he already proved it' camp.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It takes 22 players to win games, they are only as good as their weakest link since one play can turn a game positive or negative, so they all as a team have the most to prove....

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    And they're getting paid like it.

Ben can't be cut any slack because he has two rings to his name. No matter what these other fellas do, if Ben has an off year then we're sunk. He must be on top of his game if we are to compete for the title.

Thinking within the box, then Cortez Allen, hands down, has the most to prove. From showing signs of promise to being a total joke, he has to show his true colors. He has to prove he didn't pull a Haynseworth.

Jarvis, to me, has to prove he's "worthy" of a 1st round pick. He's shown improvement, and I think he'll be a good contributor this year.

Shark needs to prove he can stay healthy. That's about it because the dude has all the athletic ability in the world.

Mitchell needs to prove he isn't a free agent flop. I think learning a new system, working with Polamalu, and battling an injury all hindered his ability. I think he'll improve.

Shazier needs to prove the game isn't too big for him. He'll be a pro-bowler this year, so that should be easy for him to disprove.

So this is what I have:

A guy who needs to prove he can stay healthy.
    A guy who needs to prove his isn't a 1st round bust.
    A guy who needs to prove he isn't a FA flop.
    A guy who needs to prove that the NFL isn't too big for him.
    A guy who needs to prove that he isn't a Haynesworth chump.
    A guy who needs to prove he's capable of carrying a team to the championship.

Proving that you are the best is a heavy responsibility to shoulder and gets my vote for the most to prove. I don't mean to hate on Ben or discredit his past accomplishments, which are great, but 2015 has to be his most complete year to date.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    between them my faith from biggest to lowest in this order
    mitchell
    shazier
    jarvis
    shamarko
    allen