1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No passion

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by tbr3, May 29, 2015.

1. tbr3

tbr3 New Member

May 29, 2015
    Hi All,

I recently submitted this on Asked and Answered on the Steelers website, (no reply), just wondering what you all think about it? (see below). I am still a fan, but I'm very concerned about the lack of passion against the buzzards last season.. People say "that was last season" but we still have a lot of the same players who didn't show up in that game.. what do you think?

Hello and thank you for such a high quality commentary.
    I'm from western PA, (Ebensburg), been out west 30 years and have been a Steeler fan since I was about 6. The loss to the Buzzards last season literally sickened me, because it seemed to me the players were playing for paychecks-I cannot conceive that they did not find a way to DOMINATE a DIVISION OPPONENT at HOME..especially when we are, and were, a better team..

The Bell injury should not have mattered, when you look at the quality of our offensive line and the superb coaching there, they should have been able to dominate the run even with a mediocre running back, (which we had), but they melted down there, and allowed 5 sacks too, again, seems like they were playing with no passion? Not to mention, we had games where Ben threw numerous touchdowns and abandoned the running game, maybe a good plan if you don't have your running back? It just seems to me that when you are playing a divisional opponent, ESPECIALLY in the play-offs, and ESPECIALLY AT HOME, your intensity should negate the skill of your players to some extent.. The same goes for the D line and secondary, played with absolutely NO PASSION.. I just don't understand it, and its very depressing from a loyal fan's perspective, what do you think? It seems that the answer to getting players to care more would lie in coaching? Its not happening..

Thanks Mr. Labriola, I sure hope you can cheer me up?

Sincerely, from a western Steeler Fan

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree the lack of passion could have more than made up for the loss of a star RB... And some here on the board said the same once upon a time. These days, what stands out most to me, is even proven great coach's hands are tied due to the new world morale system with players and their union. I don't like it an,d don't think most do and to point it out is seemingly becoming more and more anti team? These kids ain't your steelers from yesteryear, nor is any other athlete on a team save for a few relics or throwback types. Our trophies don't mean jack to them I think. A good amount of the same time spent I n comparison to contracts and marketable attitudes assures that. But hey, we all love em and the tale of the tape seems to skip the hands of time with this front office...
    We shall see

3. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    This team is to be a ban of brothers they need to play as such. That loss was totally unacceptable, you need to find ways to win when you full well know the play maker will be out. When you put too much emphasis on one (star) i tend to see laxity setting in from others and that bs needs corrected. As one mentioned, our offense was hitting on all 8 last season so again in short .. unacceptable!

lack of passion or lack of discipline you make the call.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    First, welcome to the forum!

I agree with you to an extent. Losing to the dirtbirds at home was sickening. I can't really say there was a lack of passion in that particular game, but the absence of Bell and the lack of an appropriate offensive game plan to compensate for his absence was detrimental.

As a side, I have to say how cool it is to read an Asked and Answered that wasn't answered. I feel like I'm reading Bob Labriola's email. :lolol:

5. SteelerFanFromTheDMV

SteelerFanFromTheDMV Member

May 6, 2015
    Trust me I had to put up with the idiot Ratbirds fanbase for a week after we lost to them. We will be back this year mark my words and the Ratbirds are going to get annihilated on our warpath.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that it was more about the gameplan than anything. That and pass protection.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Passion has very little to do with winning football games. Talent and execution win games. All that passion, all that pumped up adrenaline, lasts all of one play and then you are just focused on your assignments, thats straight from the mouths of players that have been asked about it.

They lost to the rats because basically everyone sucked at their job that day, from the coaches on down and not having Bell which was a huge loss. A passionate RB doesn't come close to replacing Bell, he's a unique and special talent.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you're confusing passion and adrenaline. Yes, the adrenaline rush may wear off quickly, but passion breeds effort, and effort is needed to beat your man in the many 1 v 1 match ups on the field on every play. Passion leads to better focus and better execution. Any football player is going to play better when he's in the zone emotionally.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't believe lack of passion was why they lost to Balt.

But I do believe that giving up 5 sacks, 3 turnovers and kicking FGs instead of TDs were why they lost. Giving up 30 pts didn't help either.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Passion will drive you to work as hard as AB, hone their craft, but losing that game had zero to do with passion. I'm sure everyone on that field wanted to beat the Ravens and advance to the next round. All athletes are driven to win, once the whistle blows, your focused on assignments, AB isn't beating the guy covering him because of passion, he's beating him because of talent and execution.

Like I said, Harris could be the most passionate RB in history and won't turn him into Bell.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Blast, just so I can understand, do you think the loss was due to lack of a good game plan without Bell or just pure execution?

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Supposedly the best steeler team of all time, the 76 steelers lost the AFCC game because Franco and Rocky were sidelined with injuries, so it happens to the best of teams probably more to do with psychological strain than a lack of passion: After all, this game is 75% mental.....

injuries to both Bleier and Harris in the playoffs caught up to them resulting in losing to the Oakland Raiders for the AFCChampionship. Even with Pittsburgh coming up short, many Steelers fans—including the Rooney family themselves—consider the 1976 Steelers the best team in franchise history, even better than all six world championship teams.

14. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    One could argue that the Ravens should have beaten the Patriots and ended up representing the AFC in the SB. Agree we laid an egg, but the Ravens are a darn good football team.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Both. The execution was very poor but I think they should have game planned for a full arial assault with no Bell in there. They came out running which was working for the first series until Tate fumbled and missing his assignments. Did they give up on it too quickly? Perhaps but in hindsight, would have preferred they planned to attack them through the air.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    :this!: Would also liked to see a more Ariel assault. They would have to been short passes as they were blitzing almost every time in passing situations.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes more little mermaids would have made all the difference:lolol:.

I disagree with you both on the game plan putting things squarely on Ben's shoulders. That is what the Ravens wanted and had them licking their chops. Ben dropping back all game and they could come after him. Sure he could throw for 5 TD's and 400+ yards but he is also prone to turnovers with that much pressure and that many hits. the plan should have been establish some sort of run game and if it is ineffective use a short passing attack as your run game, but get the ball out quick and don't allow Suggs or Dummervill near Ben.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly.

You actually ended up agreeing with us in a round about way, arial attack doesn't have to mean bombs away.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we gave up the run too early and there was too much passion. should have been alot more runion.:smiley1::cool:

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorta agreed at the end but not quite. I'm not talking about bombs away either. I wanted a game plan that took the pressure off Ben to win the game for them but allowed the playmakers to make plays. I wanted to see designed plays to attack the weaknesses of the Ravens defense which at this time was a weak secondary and a young talented MLB corp that is prone to making the same mistakes the Steelers young players did. I wanted to see quick hitters to Brown that let him work, that beautiful unstoppable 9 yard play to Miller that has killed the Ravens for years and still gives Ray Lewis fits in retirement because they can't stop it, Brown slanting inside and Wheaton outside and have Ben take a three step drop and fire it to Wheaton on the sideline, use some FB dump offs, some RB passes(even if they drop them it makes the Ravens account for them) then every once and awhile try the 30-45 yard throws to Bryant, but work the sideline with him on 10 yard routes. What I didn't want and still don't is putting the game on Ben because while he does rise to the occassion he sometimes does too much and that can lead to turnovers. These rivalry games live and die on the turnover game, I'd rather some nickel and dime with an occassional dagger to the heart shot because they are low risk.

21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    My problem was the team was going to stay pat with their RBs, but at the last moment got cold feet, grabbed Tate, and leaned on him at the start of the game. They either should have gotten Tate a few days after Bell went down (so he would have gotten weeks to be ready), or stand pat with Harris/Archer (lesser RBs, but ones that know the team and the scheme). I blame Tate's fumble and missed blocking assignments more on the coaches/GM than on him.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

The gameplan cost us the game. I'm not saying we should have thrown it 55 times, but pretending Bell wasn't hurt and running it nowhere was the stupidest thing we could have done.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Exactly. Playing sh*tty football makes it look like you don't have any passion... We just sucked.

24. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

I am answering in regards to multiple poasts stating no passion and this one also.

The Steelers lost the game plain and simple because they did not have an ALL STAR RB and their very good backup Blount was cut. The steelers had no one except a practice squad RB.

That aint cutting it no matter how good the QB and no matter hot the receiving corps.

As another stated an all time great steeler team lost in playoffs without their two star RBs.

Passion had diddly to do with losing that game. We had two healthy stars on offense in Ben and Antonio. Martavis helped but not enough to make up for no running game.

I wont get into the defensive aspect of the Steelers as that is its own separate article.

Suffice to say the topic originator and several people chiming in are mistaking PASSION for a simple lack of talent on the field.

You cant beat the rats with zero Run Game and rookies and backups and injured peeps.

The steelers limped into the playoffs regarding their D and had both legs cutoff losing all their RBs.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    First, I've noticed what appears to be a lack of passion for a few years now. I think it happens and I think that's a coaches biggest challenge.

I do think that Bell being out and the timing was devastating too.