1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jarvis Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spartacus, May 27, 2015.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

Something about this picture that really bothers me. Help me out guys. Does that look like a player who truly gets it, or is that the "deer in headlights look" that people talk about? For a player going into his third year, you would think the coaches wouldn't have to be so much, "hands-on." Is anybody seeing something different? Maybe it's just something new that KB is adding to the defense this year and I'm worrying too much, I don't know. I'm truly pulling for this guy, after all he's still a Steeler.

Spartacus

2. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    He's either going to have a break out year or he'll be labeled a bust.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The most you can garner from that one photo is that he's listening to what the coach is saying. What the coach is saying could well be anything.

I wouldn't call that deer in the headlghts by any stretch.

4. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Your pulling for him really? ok! I see a player being attentive, listening to a coach that's going to get this D back on track. I disagree with your read but opinions do vary. I think JJ will get it together this season if he can stay healthy.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    it's already something that butler lose his time to speak to him .. seems he still has some faith

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :this!: What he said.

I can't get anything from that moment in time other than a coach talking to his player. Maybe we should be more worried about the way Spence is standing, though. Is he favoring that knee?

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :facepalm: at the OP.
    The real problem is that our new DC, Keith Butler, is clearly so old and washed up that he needs help standing.

I get the feeling of somehow rooting against your own team's player. In some ways I rooted against guys like David Johnson and Cam Thomas - not because I wanted them to fail, but because I knew they weren't the answer, they were consistently damaging the team, and the sooner someone else recognized that, the faster they'd be replaced and we'd be able to get better.

But what really gets me is the "I'm rooting for ___ as much as anyone, but [says something completely made up to take that player down]." You clearly aren't rooting for him, if you're inferring he doesn't know what he's doing based on a photograph of him listening to his coach's advice. You think he's beyond the need to talk to coaches? You think his mouth shouldn't be open because his cardio should be so good he never needs to breathe through it? This reminds me of, "Did you see Jarvis Jones posted something on Facebook today? Why is he on Facebook? He needs to be working out! He'll never be good enough if he won't work out!"

Anyway, change of topic. Did you all see this picture?

convergence.jpg

I really hope Shazier isn't a giant bust, but after seeing that, I just know he's going to fail. I'm rooting for him as much as you guys, but come on, it's over now.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Next your going to tell me that the Mona Lisa was farting while she was getting her portrait drawn. Right?

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's called coaching. OTA's is for coaching. i'll bet he talks to other starters during this process too.:smiley1::cool:

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't read into a single instant captured in a picture at all. When you're watching a movie or TV show on disc or DVR sometime, pause it at random spots. It's amazing some of the goofy, awkward looking faces you'll see that you'd never even notice at normal speed.

So this could be anything. He could be transition from speaking to listening, or vice versa, or anything else for that matter.

Edit: Here are some examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    OK jarvis you play on THIS side of the field. anything that comes on this side of the field you tackle.:lolol::cool:

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    "Hit the quarterback!"

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's called coaching, no player is above it, especially a 3rd year player who basically redshirted in his second season.

Also, KB is a new DC, I'm sure he has some new things he is adding in.

Lastly, there is no deer in the headlights look in that photo at all, just a player listening to his coach.

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno, though. I've looked at the picture again and the OP may be on to something.

temp2015_OTA_0526aa_0450--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and look at spence, he's only about 2 ft. tall. all that weight working out with JH must have squished him. he looks like a minion now.:cool:

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What I saw in the picture is what I didn't see - I was hoping to see bigger arms and leg muscles from JJ. :hmmm:

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mmmmm. Venison.

You can't read squat into the photo but one thing's for sure, this is a MAKE OR BREAK season for JJ.

And it looks like he's skipped leg day a few too many times.

18. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    :this!:

19. pancake

pancake New Member

May 6, 2015
    Is it time to shut up about Jarvis or am I on the wrong message board... ;)

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    jarvis looks stronger to me this year. :cool:[​IMG]

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!:

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you all overestimate the possible physical change for a guy his size. He's not like Steve McLendon, a 269 lb. nose tackle with a giant frame just waiting to add pounds. Jarvis has always been around 240, and the truth is he wasn't in the best shape coming out of college. He can get stronger, but that doesn't mean he'll be adding pounds of muscle. Not everyone is built for that. What we need from him is to be in excellent condition. Shed fat, build muscle. Ideally he'll be about the same size, but stronger.

It's not something that will show up in a casual glance of his arms or legs. The good news is that's not what we need. We need it to show up in his play, and that's where we may see it.

Plus, a guy doesn't need to look strong to be strong. Aldon Smith and Von Miller are two guys that come to mind that play much stronger than they look.

23. Steel Blitz

Steel Blitz Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    OMG, ROFL my ASS OFF! This is just hilarious... even more hilarious than the criticism of a player intently listening to his coach. Thig... you get the award for making my week with this photo!

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why is it that every time a Jarvis Jones thread starts I feel like I'm stuck in a bad version of the three little bears. this ones too fat(Woodley), this ones to small(JJ), this one is just right, but old(Silverback). Why don't we let the season get under way before we start the story again.

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Fair enough, I asked for your opinions and I got them. I saw one thing, you guys saw something else. I bit of criticism doesn't mean I'm not pulling for the guy. I really hope the lights turn on for JJ this year.

Spartacus