1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell and the run game.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, May 17, 2015.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    [video=youtube;WjyMn02buw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyMn02buw0[/video]

Watching some of these youtube videos makes me appreciate just how good Bell is and how the Oline has progressed. There were times when the Oline got straight up owned and Bell made plays on his own. On other plays the blocking on the edge by Miller and Will J was a thing of beauty. I also noticed that teams were aiming for his knees and upper thighs when trying to take him down so I am surprised he made it as long as he did with out injury.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Bell really is awesome. About as good as it gets in the league at RB, and a perfect fit for what we're trying to do on offense. Watching his highlights get me pumped for the season! Can't get here fast enough.

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Three words come to mind: Patient, Balanced, Explosive.

Now just keep him off of the funny stuff.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully when the rest of the team walks on the field, and he doesn't, the message will settle in. Nothing worse than knowing you let your team down.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bell is soo good. Best RB in the league (homer goggles... but try to argue)

Need to win #7 already with Ben Bell and Brown leading the way. Lets crush Patriots in the postseason then Dallas in the superbowl.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Thing of beauty to watch. Just hope they are smart and don't over use him and to preserve him for the entire season.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i just hope as he moves along that he doesn't become apprehensive with these type of hits he has taken. the knee, the head shot his rookie year. the more we use him up the more i want to see another capable guy brought along too. williams will be fine but he's got alot of wear on him too. the quality difference without bell really slows down our high powered offense and we have been lucky he's not taken more shots with as much as he's used. blount for such a bone head did give us some quality behind bell for a while, we don't seem to have that behind williams right now, so i hope one of these youngsters step forward early.:cool:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :this!:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Bell is one of the best without question. How often does a dual threat, special talent running back come along? One that an offense can be built around. I've said it before, but it's like he's in the matrix. The game moves at a different speed for him.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you don't see alot of backs his size make people miss like he does. great vision and reaction.:cool:

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You wont see Dallas in the SB this year, they lost 60% of their offense when Murray signed with the eagles, their offense carried their 19th ranked defense last year, without a running game no chance they will win enough games to get a wildcard, and if their defense doesnt improve drasticly this year to at least top 5, they have a zero chance of being in the SB, nope, no ring for the cow patties this year...

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dang, and just about exactly 2 years ago someone almost had me convinced Eddie Lacy was the best back available in the 2013 draft.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014

Romo and the rest of the Dallas fans around me said they will make the Super Bowl so it is what it is!!! lol.

the triple B's will lock down and take out anyone in their way, now that they will have a pass rush and some turnovers to boot.

Bell will be even better, and Williams will also pound his way in.

15. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Funny how I was pushing the idea that the steelers do whatever to get Melvin Gordon in the first round, and everybody scorned me, now you are worried about workload on Bell.
    I'd like to see Bell get 20 carries a game, and another back get 20 carries a game, which means more first downs and more snaps, and see Ben throw 30 to 35 times a day, that's 70 to 75 plays a game with a good running game.
    Bell gets hurt and its 3 and out.

As far as Dallas goes, they got Darren McFadden from Oaktown, and I believe that he will thrive in Dallas, mostly because he is on a winner, close to home in the south, and happy to be a Cowboy.

If McFadden stays healthy, I can see him running for 2000 this year, and they got a couple younger guys, like Randell that I like.

With a healthy D Mac, I see Dallas going 13-3 maybe, and with a healthy Bell, same thing in Da Burg..

16. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Damn Shame, we will be without him the first 3 or 4 games this year...

I forget what the suspension is...

But, looks like one of our best draft picks, in YEARS!!!

I believe he will learn his lesson, from the suspension, and come back, with something to prove...

And, maybe, just as important, Ben trusts him...

This could be the start of something really frieking good...

He is one big piece of a puzzle, and, hopefully, D`Angelo, can carry the weight, `tilll Bell gets back...

Then, we have him to spell Bell...

And Ben, to throw the ball all over the field, on our way to number Seven!!!:herewego!:

I`m liking our odds!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when we drafted him and there were a number of people on this board that were upset. I remember one very astute and intelligent member (I might add handsome too) pimping him and reassuring the nay-say'rs about how good he would be. A ding on him was his speed but I always thought his speed was perfect for his style. The guy can cut on a dime. If he was faster it would be difficult to cut like that and if he was slower those cuts wouldn't be as effective.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see him run lower,as someone suggested, the Steelers are going to ride him as far as they can, someone else will have to step up, and the sooner the better. Realistic touches per game 25-30, that can wear even the best of them out.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Dallas has a shot. Their running game is more about that great O line than overrated DeMarco Murray. Plug and play. I agree that the defense needs to improve though.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Aww, shucks Iowa, thanks :blush:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ummm, I'm pretty sure he was talking about me blast. ;):innocent::cool:

22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    After the Bus, I didn't care for any of the RBs and just felt like the Steelers were severely lacking in that department. I never really liked FWP and thought he was good as an outside runner, but he seemed to want to prove that he could run up the middle too much and it didn't work. I really had a lot of hope for Mendy, but after a short while realized he wasn't much of an upgrade. Then the whole "running back by committee" thing happened and it was almost painful to watch. I'm not saying that none of these guys ever had their moments as they all did shine from time to time, but there was just no consistency in the running game.

Ever since Bell has been around, I feel like the team has been able to take some steps to get back to hard nosed running and I'm a huge fan of his. He's currently my 9 year old son's favorite, and I love what he's doing for the team.

23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Me, guys, Me! I was talking about me. Do I have to spell everything out in this place?

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    boy, did he jump on our band wagon blast. and the handsome thing????? jeeezzz, just look at his picture. wow some guys.:facepalm::lolol::lolol::cool:

25. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to distract the conversation from Jim's self-love fest...

Watching that video raised something I've often wondered about. On downfield blocking support, I often see the supporting player go for the defender further downfield rather than the one closer to the ball carrier. Am I imagining this (or rather only noticing it more since it seems odd to me) or is this standard technique? Seems like it would be more conservative to go for the one closer to the carrier. Just going for max reward?

DownfieldBlock.png