1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Dupree plays like Jason Gildon, and Jarvis Jones breaks out, watch out!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, May 3, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    The Steelers could be on to something big here with their LB corp.

If Dupree plays like Jason Gildon, and Jarvis breaks out this year, you have bookends with big potential, plus Shazier and Timmons inside.

I like the possibilities with the DB's, but the front 3 DL really bother me.

I'm optimistic that Dupree can be another Jason Gildon, and that Jarvis Jones can be another Joey Porter or Greg Lloyd - Could be exciting this year.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DL is the strongest part of this defense.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With Heyward, McClendon and Tuitt I think we have a pretty decent front 3. If McCullers continues to develop all the better.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    in two years I bet jones, Timmons, shazier, and Dupree will be tops in the league. could be by end of this year if Harrison plays like he does and Dupree is a sub package lb

5. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

How is Jason Gildon anything like Dupree ? I mean Gildon..The Inspiration behind what was called the " GILDONG SACK "...meaning his sacks were almost ALL nothing but coverage Sacks, or because he was the benefactor of Offenses worrying more about Greg Lloyd, and later Joey Porter then the ULTA-Soft Jason Gildon. That is maybe the worst player comparison I have ever seen.

6. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    To me, Heyward is a weak link, just like Pouncey. but that's my opinion.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :hmmm:

8. steeler guru

Feb 28, 2015
    Gildon wasn't the edge rusher, Cowher never grabbed him by the pads and said "rush the passer, understand, rush the passer". Gildon was a run stopper, blitzer, and solid cover guy.
    Next to Ham, he was the best at that position in stiller history, imho.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    GIldon started opposite of Lloyd for one season (97) in which he had 5 sacks.

10. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gildong Sucked at Pass coverage, and never did it. Lloyd was our LB who went into coverage. I mean you call Gildong better then Lamarr Woodley....Mike Merriweather ?...Heck he's not even the complete ROLB that Clark Haggans was. I mean come on dude.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You guys are both ridiculous. Gildon was a sound, all-around player. That includes rushing the passer. In 8 years starting for us, he had 72 sacks (9 per year). From '98-'01 he had 45 sacks, averaging more than 11 sacks per year.

He also has the most sacks in Steelers' history. But yeah, they were almost ALL coverage sacks, because our secondary was so amazing during that time. And he wasn't an edge rusher.

Where did you guys come from? I'm starting to think you two plus Real steel are all one lunatic in a basement somewhere.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Just when I thought I've seen it all. Our two best "non-skill position" players lol good eye.

Heyward was our best Defensive player last year IMO. Even better than Timmons. He can do it all. Stop the run, and get some sacks (which doesn't happen a lot from out 5 tech DE's). And I've never understood the Pouncey hate. All you have to look at is our OLine last season with Pouncey and how much better it was than the year before (when Pouncey was hurt). We were so much better it's not even funny... He's one of the best centers in the entire league.

If you don't like those guys, then I have some bad news... Our FO is going to make sure they are Steelers for their entire career, and rightfully so.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't believe him, think he's playing the contrarian, just like drafting a RB in the first round. There's absolutely no way any fan believes Heyward is a weak link, guys a beast.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I thought his RB in the first was just because he was a big fan of Gordon... But yeah, Heyward is a stud haha that's the first time I've ever heard an opinion like that.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought you only had an hour per week on the Internet? I knew you were just trying to stir the pot with that Jarvis Jones thread.

17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks, I just spit Diet Dr Pepper everywhere. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Heyward and Pouncey are very solid players. I'm confused how you could think they are weak links.

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I've been down on pouncey experimentally... He's not over demanding money wise and has turned into a great center and so far not a lot of jib jab hokey pokey off season wise. Like it was starting to appear at one time. Heyward is a traditional monster on the D line... And will only get better as Tuitt fills out his role and things get cemented. Our front 3 are damn good and only stand to get better with Mt. McCullars.

homeboy needs to check his brain activity unless lunacy is paying fair value by the pound these days.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Come on guys, it's a messageboard.

If someone posts a claim, argue against it - we don't need the name-calling.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ha HA

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes he said his mom only allows him 1 HR of internet per week. His mama should beat his a@@ too lol

23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I deleted the comment so people don't stroke out over it. I've argued with him enough times, but some of us are sick of the trolling of the board 24/7. Enjoy your irrelevant and pointless conversations with him

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    we finally agree on something

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Where did that penny a thought guy go? Hmmm...