1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisenhunt Gets A Franchise QB

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by MorrisFoster, Apr 30, 2015.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Great to see Whiz get a QB he can work with going forward and this will be a great start for Mariota. Titans are missing a lot of pieces but when they get them look out. Colts have poor ownership and the Texans aren't far behind. I expect Titans to control that division in a few years- Luck can't do everything.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Time will tell. Read-option QB's in the NFL are iffy.

3. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Mariota goes through his progressions incredibly well. Watch when he scrambles his eyes are always downfield. Mariota is pass first all the way. Mariota's system was a lot more advanced than it is given credit for. Mariota's biggest weakness is his accuracy and it's still pretty good.

If you watch the Rosebowl game Winston almost never threw more than five yard routes but no one criticizes him. Everyone has been brainwashed by ESPN etc. Winston is almost as overrated as Manziel.

Mariota will take a few years and the Titans need major receiver help but Mariota is gonna be good for a long time.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whiz didn't want this guy, somebody else made this pick. They were just talking about this on Mike Franscesca today, hes not a Whiz type QB, he cut his teeth on big prototypical QB's, Mettenberger is way more his type.

Mariota is not a sure thing at all and a year behind in development, I don't think they upgraded at all.

Winston is the only real deal in this QB class.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm also curious how he can already be called a franchise qb. I think that is something that will take years to answer. There was a point last year that people might have thought Hoyer was a franchise qb. There was a time a few years ago when people thought Terelle Pryor was going to be one. That stuff is just hype. You've gotta produce. That's what makes you a franchise qb to me.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that Whiz didn't want him. I was reading an article the other day that Mettenberger is considered a "poor man's Tom Brady" and they meant it as a compliment. Maybe Mettenberger will be one of those guys like Schaub that mgmt lets go and he winds up somewhere and produces quite well. I really don't think he's worth writing home about either though.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were just saying on NFL.com that Mettenberger and Mariota will battle it out, not sure how fair a competition that will be with Mariota having a 1st rd tag, he'll have to really stink the place out not to get the job.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well didn't Mettenberger's stock fall simply because of injury? So couldn't it be like they sorta have two early rd guys battling it out as far as talent goes? My buddy is a die hard Titans fan and he told me the other day that he was really gonna be irritated if they took Mariota. I wonder if he started a thread on his Titans fan site where he said he'd never be a fan again if they took him though? LOL.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Possibly :lolol:

We'll see, I have a feeling Mariota will struggle. The very least, Mettenberger will start the season and then maybe Mariota takes over half way in, if Mettenbeger isn't doing well that is.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I feel bad for Whiz if he is gonna be in one of those situations where ownership tells him what to do.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This. I really think Winston is gonna be good. He should put up really good numbers, but turn it over a lot (similar to Luck so far? A lesser version of Luck). I'm not sold on Mariota tho. He just seems like the kind of guy that needs to be in a certain system to be successful. More like Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. Or Jake Locker. He woulda been better off in Philly. Wiz doesn't run that ship, so if I'm him, I'm an unhappy camper right now.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    If even half of what Philly offered to move up was true, then whoever turned that down in Tenn is an idiot!

13. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What did Philly offer anyway (supposedly)? I was curious how much of the future Chip was willing to give away.

14. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Anyone who thinks Winston is more NFL ready is a fool. Go watch the Rose Bowl. Winston threw six WR screens behind the line of scrimmage in the first quarter alone and this is a pro offense?!?! Yeah if it was run by Arians. Ironically he also ran on a couple option plays which is as college as it gets.

I think Chip Kelly has shown that Oregon's offense translates to the next level. Roethlisberger couldn't outscore s team with Sanchez and Foles so... yeah pretty sure it translates.

Bottom line is the NFL is obsessed with recreating trends that have worked with other teams. I honestly don't see anything special about Winston but he is "big bodied and a proven winner." And so was Tebow, and Russell, and Leftwich. Go watch him vs Oregon- he isn't aware of pressure strong side or up the middle till it is right on him! Russell all over again. No one mentions how Winston has NO mobility and NO pocket presence. That is why they did all the broom stuff at his workout because they know he is terrible in the pocket and guess what he is worse out of it.

Mariota has no talent around him. Titans should grab him some help right away in round 2 maybe Maxx Williams? Having Lewan at LT will be great for him though. Not sure how Mariota isn't a big QB isn't he 6'4 225? So it is bad that he is mobile? Whisenhunt was great for Roethlisberger when he was a rookie. Titans are a great team for Mariota to go to they just need some help.

So tired of hearing about Winston. He is going to fall on his face this year. He's lucky they have huge receivers that can win jump balls and is playing against ****ty defenses though. Bucs are a more talented offensive team by a large margin but Lovie Smith is all defense.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I just heard on the radio that the titans were requiring 3 1st round picks as a starting point for mariota

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is supposedly they went and took Mettenberger, who's more of the type he likes to coach the year before. Now, they've gone and taken one that isn't the type that fits and they've come out and said he's probably starting. Looks like a train wreck getting ready to play out.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow Lizard, that's insane if Philly really offered that much. And it was insane for Tennessee not to accept it.

Thant being said, maybe the Steelers can work a deal for Mettenberger in a year or two. He's pretty much a clone of Ben.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Could say the same about anyone who thinks Mariota is better than Winston but we try to keep that stuff off this board.

Thats what I said in another thread but just let him play out his rookie contract then sign him. Of course, Mariota will probably be a bust and Mettenberger will end up QBing them anyway.

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Mariota has bust written all over him. I also think Tennessee is run far worse than Indy. As long as Luck is in town, Indy will control that division. A franchise QB of Luck's calibre will win them enough games to keep them near the top of that division for the next 10 years.

Mariota will be lucky to be in the league in 5 years and Whiz will be out of a job in less than that

21. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Indy didn't have a 1st pick last year because they traded it for Trent Richardson, this year they spent it on a WR despite having been gashed gor over 200 yards in a playoff exit and having added AJ. Also, without Luck Colts are back to 2-14.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    From what I read the titans were asking for 3 1st round picks as a starting point for mariota.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    RG3 is a good example of over hype, he cant even get a contract extension after being a 1 year wonder, Winston and Mariota both have a lot to prove at the NFL level, and whisenhunt has already proved he cant coach quarterbacks after his fiasco with the cards.....

24. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Really? He had a top 5 offense every year with Warner. Maybe it isn't Whisenhunt's fault he had terrrible QBs. Arians looked worse after Palmer went down.

First two years of Ben's career went well I thought.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    My point being, whiz didnt have to coach warner, but he had rookie QBs at az after warner left, including that loser Kevin Kolb he traded for from the eagles to be the starter, and with kolb always out injured, not that he could do anything when he wasnt he had terrible play from the rooks, whiz made a total mess out of the offense, I was shocked he was rehired as a head coach again, yeah Bens first 2 years was very good, but that was more on Ben and a very talented team surrounding him than the whiz, Ben didnt shed any tears when whisenhunt left either, we will see how he handles a project like Mariota when he has some pretty bad games early on, Mariotas athletic ability wont carry him in the NFL where he will face defenses that will have 11 players with athletic ability equal too and even superior to his, cant wait to see how short whizs leash is going to be when mariota struggles, and he will struggle...