1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it asking too much.........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Apr 28, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    is it asking too much for Haley to design a few plays to get Dri Archer the ball in space?

If Archer played for Belichick you can bet your bottom dollar that Bill Belichick would have a few plays meant to spring Archer.

We know that you cant line him up and run him through the line, but we try to do that.
    Teams have always done that for Darren Sproles and it works out well.

Either design plays for him or use the roster spot for a DB, I say.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They tried a fair few plays like that last year. Often, if Archer had got past the first guy, then the space was there. Problem was, he didn't get past the first guy. Or the blocker wasn't there.

Screens and release routes take time to get right. Bell's timing on these was so much better this year than the year before. I think we'll see a better Archer this coming year.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That would be great and all, but I don't think it's that necessary. Teams were very keyed in on Dri when he entered the game. They were keenly aware of his college tape and 40 time. For all of Dri's disappointments last year, I think he worked very well as a decoy. On the downside, when we tried those plays designed for him, the defense was all over him.

To me, the answer to that riddle is just to use him more. Power through. If they want to stay that keyed in on him, fine; keep him in the game and go elsewhere until they lighten up. Then you can use him. Eventually you'll find a balance where he can actually get the ball and run without 4 guys circling him as soon as he gets it.

I think we gave up on that too quickly last year, and that's why he didn't do much. The good news is that because he's half receiver, it's not like he's a wasted body out there. He can line up anywhere, in the backfield, the slot, or out wide, and be a legitimate threat.

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd love to see him be the permanent KR. Why not? It's not like anyone else we throw back there did any better. If there's a seam, he'll take it 50 yards or more.

Baltimore forgot about him coming out of the backfield in our playoff game last year and he scored an easy 15-yard TD on a short swing pass.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If a defensive guy exhales, Archer goes down like a sack of potatoes. He's fast, but he's as allusive as a lamppost. Frankly, I'm glad Haley doesn't waste any more of his time trying to spin straw into gold.

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I have an alternate proposal. How about Haley designing a few plays to get Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell the ball in space ... and Dri Archer can watch from the sideline?

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    IMHO... Snack nailed it...
    He said everything I`ve been TRYING to say about Archer all of last season...
    When we give him the ball 90% of the times he`s on the field, and he`s only on the field for less than 10% of the plays, it`s easy for the D to key on him.(no, those aren`t exact stats, I didn`t look them up, but that`s basically what we did)...

There may be reasons for that...

I have a hard time believing he was prepared to block NFL caliber LB`s/ DE`s...

But I think he can be coached to do it...

Regardless, in certain situations, if you send him out as a "decoy", he doesn`t necessarily have to "block" the big, scary man in front of him, if that man follows him, and we move the ball the other way.:hmmm:..

I know a large percentage of this board thinks he was a "wasted" pick, or we drafted him too early..

To all of yinz, I just want to remind you, he probably wouldn`t have been there, "later"...

And, you`re not allowed to cheer for him when he breaks off 40 yard, plus, td runs this year!!!:razz::p:taunt:

My money is on him hitting at LEAST 5 of those in the 16 regular season games this year (including short passes, not just "runs")...
    And probably another 5 td`s, of less than 40 yards...

I also wholeheartedly agree with GB Steel..

If I coached this team, he would be my #1 kick returner.. Why take a chance on hurting your best recievers, when you have a #4, with his speed?
    And if he gets hurt, so what? Not that big of a loss, right?

What would it take from him, production-wise, to make yinz feel he was worth where we drafted him?

12 TD`s in the reg season?

I think he hits that easily, this year!

All depends on chances given, but I have a feeling, that`s a realistic target, on not as many chances, as I would give him...

GO STEELERS!

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Since you're giving up your fandom in 2 days this is nothing for you to worry about.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :lolol:

10. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately, Bell, IS gonna have to watch from the sideline, at least the first 3 games...

Not our choice, but, gotta work around it, right?

GO STEELERS!!!

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Lol yes. Somebody gets it.

I'd love to get Archer involved, but until he proves himself to be a legitimate threat then he doesn't deserve the ball when we have AB, Bell, and Bryant on the field too.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    But just think if (big if) he proves to be a threat and defense's have to account for him doesn't that just free up the other playmakers? More playmakers is a good thing.
    He's got to prove it first though.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hmmm, You're on to something.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. But I'll add, he cant prove it without getting the ball.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe the coaches see something in him and believe he can be a threat for us.
    I think peoples biggest hang up with this guy is that they feel like we got screwed out of a possible CB in his draft position.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My biggest hang up is that he is a midget. I thought Suggs was going to eat him last game.

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    So was Sproles... It can be done...(I don`t think Ricky Williams, or Emmit Smith, was that tall either...:hmmm:)

I ain`t sayin he has to be option #1... But, he can be an option, esp, with Leveon sitting out his suspension...

GO STEELERS!!!

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought Suggs DID eat him last game. I thought that was why I haven't seen him around lately. I was actually hoping it would make Suggs sick and he would have to come out of the game but apparently that guy can eat anything.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he looked like he was at a buffet.:facepalm::cool:

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think comparisons between Archer and Sproles are completely off the mark. Sproles is very elusive, while Archer is much more of a straight line runner on tape. Sproles is a stout 5'6" 190, while Archer is a lighter 5'8" 174. Sproles was a dynamic return man coming out of college, while Archer was primarily used as a conventional running back. Just because they are both short doesn't mean they are similar players.

We need to get Archer into some "one cut and go" situations to take advantage of his speed.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sproles is a little guy no matter how you slice it, I think that is where the comparison comes in, its not impossible for Archer to be successful. Archer is solid too, as MT said, he's short, not small. He's also faster.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought Archer was a really good return guy in college and set a bunch of records and then in his last year no one would kick to him. I didn't realize he was considered a conventional back and thought he was more of a special teams threat. I don't keep up with college though so it's possible I could be thinking of someone else. Am I wrong about him being a kick returner in college?

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    there was somebody from USC a couple years back we brought in I thought

24. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Archer had something like 4 KR TDs...

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ease up on the midget jokes. We have a resident midget on this board lol