1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colt Lyerla -- could the road to redemption lead to Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Apr 26, 2015.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tight end is definitely a need and Colt Lyerla was a pretty highly touted baller coming out of Oregon. The injury would be a concern but could it make sense if the dollars were right? Hopefully, Heath has a couple of good seasons left but it's time to start thinking about the heir apparent. If Lyerla has his act together, physically, mentally and emotionally, would it make sense for the Steelers to give him the opportunity to be that guy? Thoughts?

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/04/former_oregon_duck_colt_lyerla_2.html

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Normally I'd say yeah, give him a chance... I actually wanted us to take him last year in the 7th round or try to get him signed as a UDFA, but I think I'm gonna pass this time. Plenty of issues in college, and when he had a chance in the NFL he got hurt (not his fault), but then got in trouble again. It doesn't look like he's gonna get it. I'm not buying the lip service. I'd actually be a little surprised if he had more than a team or two willing to give him a try out.

side note: I think we have a good enough locker room to handle an idiot or two, but I think that knucklehead is gonna come through the draft this year (via Gregory or Peters). If we go that route we can go ahead and keep Lyerla the he!! away from our investment haha

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why? when we have walford coming in the draft. :smiley1::cool:

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would not waste anytime on this guy. Seems like a sorted past which I don't believe is over yet for him. Too much history of being in trouble. I kind of chuckle when he said " his DUI was dismissed" Does this mean he never actually was under the influence and broke the law or did he have a good lawyer that got him off on a technicality.

Of course I could be entirely wrong and I really hope the young man gets his life on the right track but just not in Pittsburgh. Would like to see this organization move on with quality players/athletes with zero baggage. We have had enough character issues in the past which look bad for this team.. Blount, Holmes, Plex.. Hopefully not Bell and he is growing and becoming a decent well respected player and person.

Could be a diamond in the rough but personally I would not waste the time.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Colt's road to redemption leads to the penal system.

Like SG said, I wouldn't waste our "troubled person" roster spot on Colt Lyerla. I think it's clear that he's too troubled.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? When Koyack is coming in the draft. :smiley1::cool:

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why? When we have Rob Blanchflower? :smiley1::cool:

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree. He had too many strikes for most teams before suffering a serious injury and adding character flags.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    colt lyerla sounds like some kind of equine disease
    we don't need him in our stables

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes....I too wanted him last year late

HACK

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Injured undersized and in trouble. No penny for that thought. :smiley1:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was an intriguing player but clearly not worth the trouble.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Tons of potential... To bad he's thrown it away

14. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    You sign him ....then you cut him....he is not a risk vs reward....he is no risk...vs reward.....he cost nothing...and if he is not a good player...or is still a knucklehead....he is cut and nothing changes....if he is a changed and focused football player...you win big

HACK

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You and I both know the Steelers don't go after these types of players.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There is some amount of risk. You can't just fill your team with this type of guy. You have to pick and choose. They'll only succeed if they have the right role models around them. If half your team is trouble, you're going to be the Bengals or Cowboys or Raiders. We're the Steelers.

And with the way this draft is shaping up, I feel like we're going to be getting enough of this type for one year.

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Essentially what I was going to comment Snack.. Thanks :)

Problem is there is a risk vs reward. It's always a risk to bring in players with questionable character because it does reflect on the organization. Call me a snob but I really prefer to have players that have zero issues. Of course you can never know if they will have them after they have been signed but you can know in advance if they could be a problem before they even step foot on the field.. We are Steelers and damn proud of it.

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    We've had enough projects at TE in my opinion...they need to find a true replacement for Heath and not just a hopeful

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    winner, winner, yuengling dinner.

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why does it have to be Heath's replacement? We put 2 TE's on the field at the same time.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I love Heath, obviously from my avatar, but he is getting up there in years. I would rather spend a high pick next year on a TE and get a legit prospect than use a pick this year when we can use that on the defensive side.

Yes, they use 2 TEs and Spaeth is a very good blocker. Tough to see a late rounder replace either this year.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are roster limits. He takes the place of someone else. Cost?

23. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The roster limits are very high until the season gets close. You could keep him to see what he's got until cuts have to be made. I think that's his point. But I have a post above about other risks.

24. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Only if he is good enough to make the roster.

So from what I am reading..I take it most don't believe the Steeler locker room is strong enough to handle someone with trouble. That might be why the Patriots are winning.....They take chances on these types all the time...and their locker room must be full of leaders to handle it I guess. Heck they played with a convicted murderer...and it didn't phase their locker room.

The "Steeler" way stuff makes me shake my head.....Ben would not have been welcome here based on his past troubles....But since he was already a Steeler...guess that makes it ok.

James Harrison - Spouse abuse
    Hines Ward - DUI
    Jerome Bettis - rape (proven later to be a money grab and setup)
    Santonio Holmes - Pot
    Ben Roethlisberger - rape (never charged appeared to be another money grab...but at the very least was providing alcohol to underage women)
    Greg Llyod - Put a gun in his own kids mouth
    Le'veon Bell - Pot

The NFL is full of bad people...and I don't feel any of the people I listed are bad people....but my point is...if any of that had come out before they were Steelers most here would have said you cant bring that stuff into a locker room.....and all but Bell, and Lloyd are directly responsible for our last two rings

That mentality is exactly why Dan Marino was not a Steeler.....College Coke head....No thank you...not a Steeler type player.

You put Marino on the Steelers...heck we are talking about rings 8 or 9 easily

HACK

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Hey, Hack! How've you been, man? Haven't heard from you in a while.