1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Adrian Amos - safety - Penn State. Round #2 stiller pick

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steeler guru, Apr 26, 2015.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    That's right, you cant fool me. Talk all that Landon Collins talk - then watch the steelers grab Amos from Penn State in round 2.

Remember where you heard it.

Im gonna use Amos and Ronnie Lott in the same sentence. They both could play Safety and Corner, oh wait, wasn't there another guy named CARNELL LAKE who could also do that?!

How can you sit in da burg, and watch penn state every week, and not absolutely love Adrian Amos? The dude always has total command of the field. Makes plays all day.
    If Amos isn't on your wish list, you should consider taking up lacrosse watching or something. Really, get a grip and pay attention to what you see, not what you google.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I like Amos... Idk if I like him enough to overdraft him by that much, but I definitely could see us picking him at some point. Maybe 3rd or 4th round? We need some players at safety, and Amos seems like he could be a decent player. As a buckeye fan I watch penn state quite a bit, so I'm somewhat familiar with the kid. The Ronnie Lott deal was a bit much tho lol but hey, if the whole "shock rock" thing (like you did with Melvin Gordon) is your deal, then that's fine haha

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly think he is the kind of guy you might actually get in the 4th or 5th. Yeah, I like him, but I could see him slipping....I just could. I would be okay with him as high as the 3rd though.

I think we come out of the draft with:

2 CBs
    1 or 2 OLB
    1 TE
    1 S

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Steelers are looking at TE (late) at PSU local kid from McKeesport. Jesse James?Amos is a possibility too in round 3&4

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Steelers don't usually draft the Penn State guys. Not sure why, but they never seem to.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Amos would be seriously overdrafted in round 2. I like him, and I have him in my mock/hope list, but round 2 is WAY early.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Adrian Amos: Selected honorable mention All-Big Ten 2012-2014. Started all 37 games over last three seasons with Penn State. Played in 12 games as a backup in 2011. Was selected All-Met and Baltimore City Defensive Player of the Year as a senior in high school.
    [h=4]PRO DAY RESULTS[/h]
    40-yard dash: 4.37 and 4.4 seconds
    Bench press: 21 reps of 225 pounds[h=3]ANALYSIS[/h][h=4]STRENGTHS[/h] Athletic with good range. Fluid in space with easy backpedal and smooth hips. Has ability to turn, run and recover when ball is in the air. Good route recognition. Trustworthy in coverage and is rarely out of position. Can line up defense. Offered versatility in coverage. Played some slot corner in sub packages. Outstanding in zone coverage at Penn State. Can crowd receivers and closes throwing windows. Allowed just 3.9 yards per target in 2014. Has twitch to trigger and close on throws.[h=4]WEAKNESSES[/h] Doesn't display great sense of urgency in run support. Takes suspect angles against run from high to low and when lined up near line of scrimmage. Will throw body at runner, but carries no sting behind pads, sliding down target and finishing tackle near ankles at times. Average instincts. Hyper-focused on responsibility and seems unwilling to take chances. Would rather see it than sense it.[h=4]DRAFT PROJECTION[/h] Round 3 or 4[h=4]NFL COMPARISON[/h] Husain Abdullah[h=4]BOTTOM LINE[/h] Amos checks all the boxes when it comes to strong football intelligence, a willingness to digest tape and cover skills. The biggest question is whether or not he can fit with a coordinator looking for playmakers and chance-takers. He must prove that he can play with greater overlap. Amos' scheme versatility is a big plus, but I wouldn't ask him to play inside the box very often.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorta like Ohio State ball players they can't handle the big stage. LOL this should stir up all the sorry ass Buckeye fans on this board.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So I watched his 3 games on draftbreakdown.com, and he's not bad. He shows the ability to cover downfield better than many of the safeties in this draft. On tape he really looks like the way he's described in the nfl.com draft profile that Diamond pasted in above. He seems to always play his role the way it's drawn up, and is not likely to be fooled often. The profile also chides him for being a weak hitter and not taking any chances. I see that as well, and as a result I'd say that he's a guy who will not force turnovers. If a QB throws a bad pass near him, he may get you an int, but he doesn't seem to be a guy who is going to unpredictably jump a route for the int, and he definitely does not look like a guy who will force fumbles. He tackles OK, but he does not hit or strip. 5th rounder, maybe 6th.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the national champion sorry ass buckeye fans ward. get it right.:smiley1::cool:

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This is a sorry ass post lol Yeah, maybe 7-8 years ago they couldn't handle it... Hard to talk smack like that on the defending NATIONAL CHAMPS! Kiss the ring ward :smiley1:

13. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I just watched some Amos tape on youtube. The thing about this guy not being a strong tackler is untrue.
    Amos is a cover safety - Free Safety - not Strong safety. He showed great alacrity in coming up to make tackles.
    He is a guy you can use as a cover safety, or cover the slot receivers such as Welker.

Amos makes plays, period. He comes up and slips through the mine to make tackles for a loss, upends RB's, covers TE's and WR's equally well. The knock on him is he isn't a big hitter, but I see otherwise.

Ronnie Lott and Carnell Lake were safety's who could also play corner with the best of them. Lott was a big hitter too, which is why he is in the HOF, and I see Amos having the same career. He doesn't lower the boom, but he hits guys and upends them.

The thing about Amos is that everytime Penn State needed a big play, Amos showed up.

He doesn't take chances and get burned like Willie Gay, he keeps it in front of him.

I like him as a safety/nickel corner.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    second round is too high , but in the third or fourth i would take him

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I like Amos size 6.0-218 and his speed clocked at 4.3-4.4 for his size thats a good combination and in a weak safety class he just might move up in this draft, he started all 37 games in 3 years so he is durable as well...

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I knew I could get the blood flowing.LOL
    Hail to PITT. Where the REAL BALL PLAYERS PLAY.