1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Butler a short timer?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thought I would pose the question, is Butler a short timer? Last year the Steelers went 11-5, winning the division with the 18th ranked defense. Usually D coordinators are retained when the team makes the playoffs. Being the 18th ranked D, clearly influenced moving on from DL. So I see a few possible outcomes for this year:

The defense takes a step back, team doesn't make the playoffs, D ranked 18th or worse. Under this scenario, does Butler stay?

The defense improves and the Steelers make the playoffs, advancing one round or better. If Butler improves the D, say ranked in the top 10, with all the losses the media thinks cannot be overcome, does he become a hot ticket for a head coaching position?

The only other scenario is the team finishes the same, with maybe a slightly better ranking on D.

So there it is, do you think Butler is a short timer?

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Rooneys are the most patient owners in football. This is, at a minimum, a three year proposition for Butler. Your second scenario is more likely.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I can't see Butler getting less than 3 full seasons unless it gets really bad. More likely he's our DC for the next 5+ years. That's my take.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not to mention the Steelers paid him like a DC while he turned down other jobs to say and wait. He will be given plenty of time.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    No way is he here for 1 season only. They could lose every game by 20 and he still would see a second season. The Steelers are not a knee jerk reaction organization. My prediction is he will be here the better part of a decade unless offered a HC position before then.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good question, #7 window will be closing,I think a lot of Steelers coaches should feel lots of pressure to win in the next 3 years.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would have to guess that it would be a few seasons before he would be offered a head coaching job, that is if he does well enough to begin with. For as long as he sat in the wings he will have to have a body of work before he is sought-out for bigger and better things.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He hasn't coached one game as DC, yet we are asking this question? We don't know how things are going to change. Maybe this would be better asked AFTER his first year.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not so sure he'd even want to be a HC. I think he's content where he is.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you...

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Butler will be a long timer, he has 10 years as a player and 13 years as a coach in this league, and I expect him to have a top 5 defense this year....

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    There's no way that butler leaves after waiting so long to get the job.... keep in mind, he turned down multiple offers during his waiting period

13. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    If they come out guns blazing and improve dramatically on D (after replacing the "genius") he could get a head coach gig offer. And unless it's Cleveland or Oakland, you take a head coach gig when the opportunity is there. The fact that the D won't be erroneously based on a freelancing Troy and 8 yard cushions on the WRs, the D could improve greatly. I can see a game shape Harrison and continued improvement from our young guys such as Jones, Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier, Mitchell, rookie CB and sans horrid play from Ike and Troy allow this D to improve quickly.

14. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Not head coaching jobs. If he gets a HC offer he will have to take it. Probably after next season though.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tough to say for sure. If he was interested in quick advancement, then he would have probably interviewed for DC positions a few years ago when he had the opportunities. He may not want to be a head coach - at least not for a few years.

16. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Because it is the off-season and discuss various topics is what we do here.

Don't forget, Tomlin was only a DC for 1 year. If Butler makes this a top 10 D, catapulting the Steeler's deep into the playoffs, don't be surprised that he won't be looked at for HC vacancies.

Perhaps you are correct, some coaches settle in as a coordinator. But there are others who take the opportunity when it is presented. Some coaches are sought after one year and then never again.

Point of my thread was merely one for discussion. Feel free to not participate if you don't want to. It seems several people agree that if he shows improvement he could be sought after. But what if the D is terrible? We are not talking about a HC here. they've switched special teams and OL coaches pretty often in the past. If the D comes out worse, the FKBI will become loud and vocal. So, all I'm doing is posing the question, do you think it is possible for good or bad, he may only be the DC for a short period of time?

17. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    well,
    when we LOOSE all our preseason games and start out the season
    going.....
    0-3
    if not 0-4
    but most likely
    0-5 after going out west and the fact that SANTEE STEEL won't go to the game

I see Butler getting a head coach job quicker than we think.

Like the Steelers head coaching job after everyone fires Tomlin
    and we all know how the Steelers FO are sooooo quick on replacing coaches around here.

around here
    round here

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    You never know, IF they turn in a good year and the Defense shows dramatic improvement...... he could be a candidate for one of many HC openings that happen every year. Then again, he's been patient for his turn at DC, so he may just want to build a legacy here first? But honestly, based on a glance at our schedule...... I'll hold back predictions for a later date.

19. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    IDK, when you go from DC to head coach, it is a huge upgrade: your salary increases immensely. You become THE man in town. Your house is twice that of coordinators. Most have a hard time turning that down, to at least see if it's not a fit. Then, if you are better suited at coord. level, go back to it like LeBeau did.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They wont be a top 10 defense, if things break really well, maybe they get to 12th. I'm predicting around 14th or 15th.

Butler will be here minimum 3 years, IMO.

21. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    yeah, I pretty much agree with this. But I can't stop hoping for a top ten D that might mean Butler becomes a top candidate.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes and with all those perks comes a lot more work, tons more pressure, fewer hours spent with family, greater chance for failure and so on. There are coaches out there that aren't lured by the almighty dollar and know what it is they are good at and what they aren't. One of Tomlins huge disadvantages when he became a head coach was that his offensive philosophy is and somewhat remains to be an enigma. Butler may have zero experience running things from an offensive perspective in which case if he did take a HC job he has to hire an OC that has a strong background and that means giving up control to a certain extent. Mike Zimmer had to bring in Norv Turner and he is designing his offense. Rex Ryan has always had hit and miss offenses and offensive draft picks that are questionable at best. Like others said given that he hasn't tried advancing before this that he is content with what he does.

23. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Mostly agree, unless his D instantly becomes a beast, and that will make some teams make him seem like a magic bullet. It is unlikely to happen after 1 season, but I wonder if the were a top 3 D this season if some teams would be interested? The Steeler brand is sought after. With LeBeau, he already had been a head coach and wanted nothing of it moving forward, and everyone knew that.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  25. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I originally wanted to punch the O.P., in the face, then, realized it wasn`t RealSteel, or LoydDestroy...

Rush, raises a semi-valid point...

Outstanding co ordinaters get offered head coaching jobs, on a regular basis...

Couldn`t blame him, if he went "one and done" after having a good season here...

At least it would mean our D went back to the top of the charts, this season!:yeehaw:...

I would like it better if he stuck around, to keep it going, if, that happens, after he has waited so long, to show what he could do...

Unfortunateley, that ain`t the reality of how the league works now...

If he turns our Defense back into what it used to be...

He is going to get offered a head coaching job, and I couldn`t blame him for taking it.

I Hope he leads this Defense back to being what I remember, and stays, but if he does,,, I`d be surprised if he turns down a head coaching job...

He`s put in his time...

Let him reap the rewards,

It`s up to him, if he wants to put in the effort of being a Head Coach, or keep leading the Defense that he led, to get him that opportunity...I just hope other teams want to lure him away at the end of this season...

He would have done his job right, if that`s the case!!!:steelflag: