1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Considering Holding Out For New Deal?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 20, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    So ... what do we trade him for?

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As you stated he plays at a lot higher level than he gets paid . I don't want him to miss time so I hope that if this is true they get it done quick.

Something to consider is all the interest the Team has showed at the WR spot for this draft . Makes me wonder if the Steelers didn't already know and might be planning to draft some leverage if they feel Brown might want to play hard ball.

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, and now we know why the team may be looking at first round WRs in this draft. I love AB, but even Ward wasn't able to make this kind of thing work. It is not a team first attitude and that is not accepted in Pitt.

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    AB has 3 years left on his contract. Redoing it would set an awful precedent. The best he can hope for is an extension, but that really only creates a bigger problem 2 years from now when whatever the hell the new years are for have been exceed by every quality WR in the NFL.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  8. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    This can only be bad for the Steelers. Hopefully, he comes to his senses and plays out his contract.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well that sucks... What do you expect though, it's the players mindset these days.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm betting players (and his agent) from other teams , ,have gotten in his ear and told him that he is underpaid .. He doesn' t seem to be the type to hold out, , but what do i kno.. hopefully somthing can be wrked out. but who kno's

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't like it at all, but his timing is perfect. With Bell being out for the first three games he knows it'll be tough for the Steelers to do without thier top two play makers

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Big mistake on his part, with 3 years left on his contract what the hell is he thinking, doesnt he remember what happened to wallace when he got greedy, and the steelers do not negotiate contracts with holdouts period: He better rethink this decision, before he gets traded off for a draft pick....

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Until I see something more firm on this and it actually happening, I'll hold my thoughts/etc.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he just wants an extension ? I hope he is looking for that and not a lot more money . I would not want the Team to trade him , but he would be worth a 1st. rounder IMO .

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It would be ridiculous for us to trade him for a draft pick... He's quite possibly the best WR in the game. It was have to be a first rounder, and even then maybe more on top of that for us to get any type of reasonable return. I don't see it happening. IMO he's too valuable to lose, so we might as well just give him a new deal.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If you click this link you can maybe see why him/his agent. Might not like his current deal.
    But, the Steelers did take a huge risk, with giving him the deal instead of Mike Wallace.
    I live by the adage your good enough to sign it, be good enough to live up to it.
    But, you also got to get what your worth. If this is true, it's a bunch of unhappiness we don't need.
    http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012

No way in hell does he get a new deal, our cap space is too tight to allow for that, we cut our best receiver in 09 for smoking pot, there is no indespensable player on this team, and he will find that out soon enough, he can put his greed on hold for 2 more years....

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Steelers let Rod Woodson hold out for quite a well if I remember a long time ago, and he was the best player on the team at the time. I see them being no different here, if it's true.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree. The Steelers did his deal way sooner than they needed to, and he benefitted tremendously. If it's true that he intends to hold out, then it's just sickening.

20. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Antonio has already restructured twice for the team to save cap space.... isnt that showing loyalty to the team..? It did give him a little more pocket "guaranteed" money since it was converted to signing bonus..so he's not brokity broke.... however, he is the best or one of the best receivers in the league and I certainly don't want to lose him..especially after locking down Ben for 5 more years..

one thing I've learned is I have no say in what other people think is "enough"....If you are the BEST at something even for a moment..then you can be as "Greedy" as you want to be. What if you had the chance to not only make some good money but in the process set your family up (generations into the future)....what would you do....? wait I'm sorry..thats none of my business..

21. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
  22. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Meh Ward did it. I'm not worried.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He restructured his contract in 2014 :

On March 7, 2014 Brown restructured his contract , he reduced his salary to $730,000 and received a $5,270,000 signing bonus for salary cap purposes.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's a myth that restructuring is a favor by the player for the team. If your employer came to you and said "I'll give you next year's salary right now, fully guaranteed" with no strings attached, would you feel like you're doing your employer a favor? That's what restructuring an NFL contract is.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll wait for this story to develop more, see if it has any teeth. :hmmm: