1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Mocks

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Apr 18, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This first list is who I hope the Steelers pick in this year's draft. Probably won't please everyone but hey :lolol:

1. Malcolm Brown DT Texas. McCullers, by many reports has been kicking tail this offseason with his conditioning and weight, which is great news. McClendon is very good inside but has one year left on his contract and is 29/30. A nice one, two punch already. Its no secret good defensive lines give team fits. I believe Brown can work great in any front that we utilize. Married with two children. No off the field issues there. Great character.

2. Alex Carter CB Stanford. Same as my draft scenario posted months ago. Hits a need and I feel is valued perfectly here. I think Rowe is gone in the early second.

3. David Johnson RB Northern Illinois. I like the Williams signing and have no doubt he will be a good addition. But I think a tandem of Bell and Johnson would be great. He is almost a WR the way he catches the ball. A great insurance policy if one of Bell or Williams goes down.

4. Henry Anderson DE Stanford. Football player period. Depth and rotation for Heyward and Tuitt. Not flashy but strong.

5. Craig Mager CB Texas State. Double dip at CB. Smaller school but played well in high profile games and all stars.

6. Terry Poole OT San Diego St. Versatile, playing left and right tackle. Good swing guy for developing.

6 comp. Kyle Emanuel OLB N. Dakota State. No OLB til the 6th?? I know, I know. I really hate to rely on JH92 at 37 and JJ, Moats as full time starters but if the FO didn't really pursue anyone in FA I guess they have confidence in them to see what they can do. I think Moats will be fine. Still on the fence with JJ. Emanuel is a very good prospect to add in the mix.

7. Cedric Thompson S Minnesota. He seems to be always around the ball. Not getting much love for the national media but worth a 7th rounder imo.

This list is more of who I think they will pick.

1. Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest. I like this pick and would have no trouble with it at all. Seems to be some ties there with the Wake Forest coaches and Tomlin. I'm really 50/50 on Brown and Johnson. I like them both.

2. Nate Orchard OLB Utah. Hit the top two needs with the first two picks. I think he can rotate in and push for starter in year 2.

3. Xavier Cooper DT Wash. St. Versatile defensive lineman. Will probably fit whatever Butler can dream up. Good penetrator if he lasts this long, he should be the pick.

4. Jeff Heuermann TE tOSU. Good TE prospect who is very good at blocking, and athlete enough where you won't lose much in the passing game. Fits two ways here. A TE and OSU pick, lol.

5. Tre McBride WR William & Mary. Tomlin's alma mater will get some attention. McBride is a good WR anyway so bonus. Good KR too.

6. Jacoby Glenn CB Central Fla. Have to double dip to answer the depth issues. They had a visit with him.

6 comp. Kyle Emanuel OLB N. Dakota St. Double dip round. Also a visit.

7. Max Garcia OL Florida. Versatile lineman again.

Priority FAs --
    QB Shane Carden ECU
    WR DeAndre Smelter Georgia Tech
    OT Laurence Gibson Virginia Tech
    TE Cameron Clear Texas A&M
    OLB Obum Gwachum Oregon State
    OLB Maurice Falls ECU
    DT Deon Simon Northwestern State
    CB Daryl Roberts Marshall
    CB Donald Celiscar Western Michigan
    S Mykkele Thompson Texas

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i prefer doran grant or darby then carter

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    due to measurables or game tape?

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A DT in rd 1 not liking that at all.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

reading around .. no ball skills or instincts and his hands are terrible , someone will get infatued with his size and because how he can run in a straight line .. scout's take , on nolan nawrocky draft guide

if i read well he has only one interception in college

he is a good tackler though

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I know it's cliché to dislike the idea of a DL in round 1, but I really dislike the idea of a DL in round 1. We are set for starters at all 3 spots, and you said yourself you like the depth at NT. McLendon will be good for a few more years - he definitely has low mileage - and will be cheap enough to re-sign. Added to all that, Brown doesn't have a clear spot in our defense. Is he NT? When will he play? It's one thing if you're not high on either McLendon or McCullers, but you sound high on both, as am I. Brown is not exactly the right size to be a DE. Maybe he could pull it off, but it's a big question mark. And besides, we're keeping Heyward, and Tuitt's spot is locked in. Decent value, okay, good character, okay, good player, okay, but we're talking about a guy that won't play right away, and there's no clear picture for when he ever will play, and it's at a position where he would only marginally improve us, if at all.

There will be players at positions that will see the field and make us better. For DL (specifically, DE), we'd be much better served to take a depth guy later in the draft. Someone who we don't need to see the field right away.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    fair enough, I like Rowe better but think he'll be gone early 2nd.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good points. My thinking is that he would improve the run defense and we would have little to no drop off when he came in as they rotate the def. lineman. Tough to project how many four man fronts Butler will employ, but he could help there too.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe, but he'd have to be on the field to improve the run defense, and "little to no dropoff" isn't what you want from a 1st round pick.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't really like either of them as a CB idt... But I do like your Johnson and Thompson picks. I don't know much about Mager or the OT, but didn't care for Brown or Carter. Anderson at DE seems like a decent value, but I don't know tons about the kid.

However, I really like the second mock. If we get Johnson, Orchard, Cooper and Heuerman in the first four rounds I'll be ecstatic.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    On your second list Lets put a safety in the 3rd pick and a RB in the 5th.With this positional selecting the Steelers are good to go.